Options

Great Manchester Run

Sol2Sol2 ✭✭✭
As yet, not much information is available regarding the Half-marathon (twinned with the 10). Does anyone know anything about the precise route and elevation profile? Is there any way to guage/guess/estimate how busy this course will be?

I don't know whether or not I should enter.

Comments

• Options

I presume you've looked at the website and watched the (very fast) video of the route?

http://www.greatrun.org/great-manchester-run

The 10K route is also available there - it looks like the 10K makes up the second half(ish) of the HM - so you could take a peek at that as well.

Pretty much everywhere in the city centre is as flat as a pancake... well, a few very small ups and downs - but in the context of a road race, pancake-like. I've never run out towards the Etihad (City's ground) but the 10K goes round the Old Trafford loop and the biggest slope, as I recall, was a bridge over the river.

I did the 10K last year and yes, it was busy... it's a "Great Run" - based on my experience of GNR and Manchester - they're always busy! The usual Great Run system was in operation with pens according to colour-coded numbers - that helps to reduce on-course crowding a bit, but there were still slower runners strung out across the width of the road... that just seems to come with the territory of big city races, though.

Having said that - the support was very good and the PB opportunity is also good. I PB'ed in Manchester before going faster later in the summer at Wrexham.

• Options
    Sol2Sol2 ✭✭✭
    LN, thanks for the reply. Yes, I have read all there currently us on the website, including the (too fast) video of the route.

I ran the 10k last year - was a PB for me too. (I have since PB'd again.) Despite being in the blue wave, slower runners (what were they doing there?) congested the first mile. Still fun, though.

Based on what I could figure out from the almost useless clip, I ran my long run last week past Etihad stadium toward United along Stretford Road, which runs alongside the Mancunian Way. Very flat indeed. Undulating north of Etihad, but flat to the south.
  • Options

Ha! Sol2 - having actually run near the Etihad you know more about the course than I do!

Sorry I couldn't tell you anything new image

• Options

Looks flat.

But HOW much does it cost to enter?

• Options

I'm planning on doing this.

it looks a great route, both football stadiums and the Mancunian way.

its the first half so it will be very busy.