Options

Off road/trail ultra shoes

pen-y-jenpen-y-jen ✭✭✭

Has anyone got any recommendations for cushioned long trail shoes? I like to run long and off-road.

I need something with decent grip for the inevitable muddy sections, but cushioning suitable for a 45 mile race. I've tried a few different styles in the past but am keen to hear other peoples' recommendations in the hope of uncovering a new gem!

Comments

• Options

Has anyone had any experience with the Hoka One One Speedgoat?

• Options
    Not used hoka but Adidas Kanadia have worked for me for that kind of thing. I've not run 45 miles though as I'm not a looooonie....

• Options

My favourites are either the trail version of Brooks adrenaline (I think they are called ASR, rather than GTS), or cascades ( except that the top of mine have just split- seems a weakness in the design, but they've done over 400 miles, so I suppose it's not too bad). Both are cushioned enough that they are fine on road if necessary, and both have a significant heel- toe drop, which is probably unusual in a trail shoe. Depends whether you like Brooks, I guess.

• Options
    roebyroeby ✭✭✭
  • Options
    MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    pen-y-jen wrote (see)

Has anyone had any experience with the Hoka One One Speedgoat?

Yes. I was using a pair of these last year. The ride was astonishingly soft and they were great for stony trails but grip on soft surfaces like wet grass or mud was nothing special. But my big problem was the fit. They seemed to size up true but no matter what I did, they blistered my feet. I tried different socks, laced up in various ways, and put in different insoles but to no avail. I really wanted to like them but binned them after a couple of hundred miles.

Be sure to try out well before you commit. They're great shoes for the right person, but not for me!

• Options

I recommend Dynafit Pantera, if you can find a pair!

They're designed as an ultra marathon trail shoe, vibram sole, bulletproof uppers, plenty of cushioning and support, 8mm drop. 

They're kind of a blend between traditional running shoes (heavier, well cushioned) but have that slightly lower drop and ergonomic sole without plastic stabilizers, medial-posts etc, so give quite a smooth, natural ride. 

I kinda wish Dynafit released a new model of the shoe with some weight shaved off, as the weight is the only drawback IMO. 

• Options

Very individual one. For me ...

saucony peregrine - light weight, enough cushioning ( no problems on longish road stretches). low drop, good trail feel, comfortable, good trail grip especially pretty good on wet rock which was pretty important. Enough grip on grass, slopes and mud (although obviously not proper mud). Also rock plate did the job (essential based on experience of shoes without). Really really pleased I chose them for my off road ultra Last year. 

also tried new balance Leadville. Super comfy all day uppers and cushioning that will take fair bit of road and rock. Grip is surprisingly better than it looks across variety of terrain. For me I just notice the extra 50g of weight after 20+ miles (although prob just in mind). They're still only just about 300g. 

• Options
    ... re original question ... hugely depends on what sort of off road? Anything in mind?