Options

My half marathon training ruined by a stupid hamstring

Like the title says I pulled my hamstring yesterday and now I'm not able to train for the Croydon half in April (2017).  I was recently made redundant and I was able to drop my daughter at school run and do the house chores or some IT training, I'm an IT Engineer so it worked well.  My neighbour who is a keen runner and Ultra competitor suggested I have the time so I should train for a full or half marathon, I didn't feel a full marathon was the one for me and a half would be better so I started to follow the Nike+ app on my phone.  I was getting out running come rain, snow or frost and getting home stretching and heading to a nice hot shower.

All was going well until 2 days ago when I could feel a little niggle while moving about or even just sitting.  I thought I should do some more stretching or head to the foam roller which seemed to help.  

Then yesterday disaster!  I could feel a twinge of something while I jogged home slowly from a speed work session.  As soon as it came it went, it was like a light prick from an errant paperclip and I knew I was in trouble.  Yesterday getting in and out of the car was awkward and sitting was a little uncomfortable.  Today I feel OK, I don't feel great and I know I can't run but I feel OK.  I'm wearing a thigh strap which I guess is helping but with only 9 weeks and 3 days left for training, will I be OK and be able to do this?  Will I have a mental block of not wanting to push myself and get the job done?  Will I be able to compete or even complete the course?

I want to run, I want to run up the stairs at home, I want to run with my 7 year old when she's on her bike.  But I know right now I can't or I'll damage myself.  I think that's the worst of it, I know I can do it but I mustn't because the knock on effects are too much.

Comments

• Options

hi,

your frustration is something that all runners can relate to.

• Options

Mark, sympathies. My first injury was when I was training for the Croydon Half in 2011!

Whether you will be able to run the HM depends on lots of things including how far you've got in your training already and how long you need to rest for now. But you've had the sense to rest now, so you've got a good chance of getting back to running sooner. If you do run it, I'll be one of the marshals cheering you on around the course.

At the moment you need to rest, ice it, rest, keep the leg elevated when you can... and rest it. Self-massage can also help (I find "the stick" good for massaging; lots of people find foam rollers good. If it doesn't settle then think about seeing a physio.

To help with the frustration I highly recommend volunteering at your local parkrun on a Saturday morning and/or at a junior parkrun on a Sunday morning - it gets you out into green surroundings and gives you a sense that you've done something positive.

• Options

Thanks Debra for your supporting words!

I feel a  little better today and it should be a training day too but we both know that if I go out I'll do more damage and put my self back by another few days/weeks.  Last night I rested, iced and put my feet up which was nice and today I think I'll use the foam roller and The Backnobber which I've used both on my back and on my IT band when I had issues there.

I volunteered with Parkrun last weekend and I'm a Tail Runner on the 4th too so if anyone is free Saturday morning come down to Beckenham Place Park and say 'hello!'  Hopefully I'll be back to normal and actually be able to keep up with the pack.

I look forward to hearing you cheer us all on in April!

• Options

Hamstrings are often overworked as a consequence of weak gluts. 

Find some strategies for getting those gluts working To offload the hamstring stress. 

Failing that, you may have a pelvic anomaly leading to a functional leg length discrepancy. you may need to see a Osteopath, Chiro, physio or Podiatrist to work it out. 

• Options

Hi Footmech,

That is sage advice, this is the second time I've pulled my Hamstring both times while training for something.

I'll look in to some conditioning/strength exercises.

Best,

Mark