Options

Dead Feet

OK so I've come back to running after a couple of months away. I had only got to about 5K before, and I'm pleased that I have quickly got back to where I was, and even building slightly more distance now.

I'm in my late forties, but fit and healthy apart from mild asthma which I have an inhaler for.

So, on the last few runs, after half an hour or so one foot, then the other goes numb. I keep running but it feels really strange and I feel it's a bit dangerous not being able to feel exactly how my foot is falling.

I've read other threads on this, but none of the answers seem right for me. I'm sure it's not because my trainers are too tight. I don't think I have any health problems and certainly have no other symptoms.

So, the two possibilities I've come up with.... I'm nearly 11 stone now, but by the time I got to 5K plus before, I was nearer 10. Could the extra weight be affecting me?

The other possibility -my son said he heard somewhere that if you aren't taking in enough oxygen this gradually affects your extremities. There is something slightly weird about my breathing, because I use the inhaler before I go out. It opens up the passages so I don't get wheezy, and altogether my breathing feels great -I dont' get breathless or wheezy, but I do feel there is something a bit artificial going on. So I wonder if there is anything here.

Any suggestions appreciated. I always try to exhaust all possibilities before seeing my GP as a last resort, so I will see how this goes for a few more runs.

Comments

• Options
    senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    Reynauds Syndrome? usually affects fingers but can affect feet in very cold weather.

Do you suffer from lower back problems? If so can be a problem there is affecting your nerves to the feet, hence numbness.

And why not see your Doctor, although they may just say the usual "well, if it only happens when you run, don't run then".
  • Options

Could well be the cold weather-?. I don't think it is likely to be your breathing. Try running in warmer clothes first, or on  a treadmill, to see what happens.

• Options
    tricialitt wrote (see)

Could well be the cold weather-?. I don't think it is likely to be your breathing. Try running in warmer clothes first, or on  a treadmill, to see what happens.

On that note, try adding an extra pair of thick socks.

• Options

THank you for the suggestions.

No, I don't have any back problems and I've looked up Reynauds Disease and it doesn't sound like that. My GP took my asthmatic symptoms seriously before and was very positive about my running, so I don't think she'd advise me to stop if I went to see her about it.

Interesting about the cold. I did start another thread about wondering if I wore enough clothes to run in the winter. I hate feeling too hot, so I like not wearing to much in the winter and just sweating slightly. I suppose it could be the cold getting to me. I think that kind of numbness might feel different, but I will give warmer clothes a try. I've only started to have these symptom recently and it may be no coincidence that it is very cold at the moment.

• Options

If I ran with an extra 14 lb on me, my feet would certainly complain. 

The extra force can be dropping the arch, leading to neural irritation. 

Look for callus build up, blistering, bunion formation, nail damage as signs of foot function issues. 

See a Podiatrist 

• Options
    I developed a similar problem a few years ago that was put right on the NHS. My doc sent me to see a NHS Podiatrist and then onto a NHS Orthotic dept. They put my feet inside a box of soft gooey material and made me a pair of orthotic inners the exact shape of my feet. The hospital even put a soft covering on them to provide more comfort when I used them with my running shoes. So it could be that your feet need a little bit more support when out running. It worked for me. Stay injury free. Fred

• Options
    My left foot sometimes does this. It usually lasts a couple of miles and then I get the feeling back. It seems to happen more when my soleus is tight, and also when it's cold. I asked my masseur/osteopath what it could be and he had a good look at my leg, established there was nothing wrong with the nerves or blood flow and said it could be down to impact shock (similar to if you slap a wall and then get pins and needles in your hand). It seems quite common so I wouldn't worry too much.
  • Options
    I've started getting numb feet when I run. It happens right after 3 miles. If I stop, the numbness goes away instantly and I can run my last mile without a problem.
    The physio suspects chronic compartment syndrome and ordinated calf stretches. He also wants me to check if the foot goes cold and the calf goes rock hard when the foot goes numb. (I don't think it does.)
    The doctor sounded more confident and said it comes from trapped nerves in the lower back. She had me lay down on my back and raise my leg straight up, and I immediately felt pins and needles. She said I need to strengthen my core.
    I called the physio back but he's still not sure the doctor's right though. But my back does feel weak, and I've started feeling pain down my leg, might be the sciatica nerve.
    So I'm skipping ParkRun today and will do yoga for the back and core instead!