Options

Advice sought on tri suits please

Hi all, am a newbie. Training for my first super sprint tri. Do I need a tri suit? Can I get by with throwing running gear over my swim costume or is that unrealistic? Which suit would people recommend? And I seem to be between sizes on a lot of the size guides. Do I squeeze into the smaller? Or will the larger be more comfortable/restrict me less? Thinking if I need a suit for the event, I should probably train in it? Many thanks...
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    for your first event, I'd not worry about a tri suit unless you are desperate to do so!.... sticking run/cycle kit over swim gear is both perfectly acceptable, and commonly done. 

Probably makes sense to find out if you love it first, and then invest in a suit... but then again, if it makes you happy to own and race in one, then why the heck not!

On the sizing front, a tight suit is good, as long as it isn't restrictive, or likely to cause rubbing... and you are spot on about the benefit of training in it first!
    lets be honest.... its all prep for an Ironman on my 100th birthday
  • Options
    TTTT ✭✭✭
    I did buy a suit for my first tri. Order at least two sizes as different manufacturers have different sizing. I have shorts and a top. Worn the shorts quite a lot to cycle in as well as compete. Lots of people worn a swimming cozzie and running kit over it. To put it bluntly not many people will notice what you wear as long as it is decent and conforms to the tri rules. 
  • Options
    SaeSaeSaeSae ✭✭
    I didn't buy one for my first tri. I stuck a sports bra on under my swimsuit and swam like that. Got out the pool, chucked a tshirt, shorts and socks on and off I went on the bike. Got on totally fine. For my next one I did buy a tri suit and, like you, was in between sizes. I ended up just ordering a few from Wiggle to see how different makes and sizes fit then sent back the ones I didn't like - easy to do since returns are free!