Options

Monday 24th April 2017 - In this proud land we grew up strong

Morning.

Lyrics - In this proud land we grew up strong

Well done Dustin! See you in London next year.

Hope chicksta's race went ok.

Thanks for the info Ollie.

Thank you for the support guys, no internet Saturday evening or Sunday morning hence my silence.

As most of you know I didn't get the time I thought that my training indicated before my fall but I did better than expected. Long story short my right knee hurt from the first step and whilst I was able to move on ok for the first 18 miles or so I was constantly nearly stumbling/falling so obviously not picking my feet up properly. When I went through half way I thought there was still a chance as I tend to even or negative split and was feeling very comfortable in myself but the legs just got progressively worse, left adducter, right calf threatening to cramp, right hamstring threatening to cramp. When it became obvious that I couldn't hold the pace I tried to tell myself to just jog it in but I couldn't bring myself to give up on the sub 3. I was also worried that if I stopped everything would seize up and I wouldn't get going again! I didn't actually think that the sub 3 was really still a possibility until I entered the mall and was counting down from 800m to go and watching the clock. 

What:              nothing
Why:               I need to heal
Last hard:       getting out of the car yesterday - my knee was totally seized
Last rest:        21/4

Saturday's lyrics - Out On The Rod by Norah Jones.
If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.

Comments

• Options
    chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Wow, LMH. Kudos for mental and physical toughness. You're a machine! And another sub 3 - how cool is that?
    Hope you haven't caused any lasting damage though ....

And well done Dustin! Sounds like a challenging course.

My team won 1st place in the mixed category :) so we bring a cup home. I somehow managed to run 9.8k in 44 mins. No idea where that came from but I take it :+1:
  • Options
    Morning

LMH, you just are so incredible tough and focused well done on sub 3 hours with everything that has happened to you it just shows what you can do if fully fit!
    Recover well

Dustin  Good result and so glad you got your GFA for London:-) Did you celebrate with cake:-)

Chick: Well done on your team race and that is a pretty fast  time for just under 10k:-)

Recover well Dustin and LMH:-)

What: A run
    Why: It is what I do
    Last hard sleeping
    Lyrics: Yes
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Morning!

Everyone's a winner, Hot Chocolate, were yesterday's lyrics: true indeed! Well done Chick! And well done again to LMH and Dustin! I hope SC pops in to say he is pleased with his Madrid result (he should be)! Now recover well everyone!

Lyrics: feel I should

What: will see what the legs tell me to do

Why: that sort of day. May well get wet.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Morning all,
    LmH - absolutely superb. Well done. Take a few easy weeks and get back to full strength.
    Ale - I think the stats are a bit misleading, although the marathon route and the half marathon route combined so we were constantly overtaking the slower half runners so not easy to tell who was in which. Not sure that I passed (or was passed by) more than 1 or 2 other marathon runners in the closing stages.
    Club mate had it as 26.6 and a friend who did the half had that as 13.3. One of our fast boys was sent the wrong way on lap two (with the 10k runners) ended up doing just over 28 in 3:06 but missing sub-3.
    WP - despite taking a mountain of food, I struggle with anything other than drink after racing. Even last night all I could muster was beans on toast and a mountain of fruit.
    I fully expect normality will return today ;-)

What - veterans track and field league, 400m, 1500m and Long jump
    Why - I suspect I'll be cheering from trackside rather than wearing spikes (at least I hope so!)
    last rest - will aim for a mile easy today but maybe not
    last hard - Yesterday

• Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Dustin: I think you'll be for the high jump if you do the long jump! 
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    An Other HalfAn Other Half ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    What: something middling along with more trips to dump and charity shops
    Why: leaving energy for a longer run this week if I am going to do Cape Wrath Marathon
    Last hard: Saturday
    Yesterday was a rest although I did sea swim
    Lyrics: no

Well done again to marathoners, home and away at weekend

That's me re post marathon food, Dustin, but I can eat for Britain the day after.

Hope your knee doesn't complain for too long LMH
  • Options
    Well done chicksta. Physio said I wouldn't do any damage running on it. Keeping moving seems to be the key, just back from a long (4.5 mile) walk with Grace and Mark and it was no worse at the end - will keep up with the ice.

Don't let them talk you into competing Dustin - not even 'just for a point'! My friend made me a lovely smoothie yesterday, kept me going most of the way home. Eating for England already this morning.

I could use your skills here OH. How long until CW?

• Options
    WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    morning all and wow!!!
    Well done DUstin just amazing!
    LMH, oh my goodness lady you are something else, sub 3 what a star you are!!!
    WP enjoy doing what you do
    Wow chick you are amazing as well
    Dustin, do not take your spikes!!
    OH Cape Wrath Marathon you are a machine
    lots of machines, awesome people and so on here..

What: 3 miles easy later
    why: inspired
    last hard: Alehouse will know it was Saturday
    Last rest: 31/12

But I got my new bike which gives me a big fat happy smile! And I am entering the ballot I have to for London next year, I turn 60 (shock how did that happen) before and if I go under 4.30.......
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Morning again!

Stick to walking this week, LMHDustin's is a different sort of recovery so he's allowed a mile a day for a few days! And don't take your spikes today.

What: 52 mins largely off-road. Got wet after ten minutes and then it dried up. Cool and windy.

Why: this week's MLR. Had hoped to do the week's SLR but legs were tired, weather not great etc. Ran the first half with M72 but he is currently cutting back so that he is fresh for his speed sessions. 
  • Options
    WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    does anyone know how you can find flora london marathon results (archive) ?
  • Options
    Did you get the Vita Wabo? Definitely go for the GFA.

I don't think I have any choice Alehouse. It was one thing to do the odd run with the broken elbow to see how I would manage in the race but it would be a bit naughty running with it now, can you imagine if I fell over again? The knee definitely isn't up to running either though I think I was right about the left one being back to pre-fall condition as it's ok this morning.
  • Options
    WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Hi LMH I did get it, its a lovely ride, really happy! Yep will do - have to.  Take care of yourself and well done!
  • Options
    Dustin: I am the same after a race I can not touch food for a good few hours.But I hope you are back to normal today:-)

LMH: The smoothie sounds ideal food post race:-)

11.1 miles for me this morning 

Wabo : You are have to go for the GFA time:-)
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Wabo: I watched both semi-finals and thought the better team lost in both! How long ago do you want for old London results? Back to 2009 here: 

https://www.virginmoneylondonmarathon.com/en-gb/news-media/media-resources/race-reports/

Or older may be here: http://www.marathonguide.com/results/

Is it your own results you are looking for?

Supposed to be going to cricket shortly;; however, looking out of the window it is typical cricket weather.
  • Options
    An Other HalfAn Other Half ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Heavy snow - revising plans :'(

May need to man up ...

Cape Wrath Challenge 14-20 May.
    Wish I was, Wabo; other than parkruns, I haven't raced this year yet.

No skills involved LMH, just determination (which I believe you may have! ;-) )

Thinking about coming down to HM next week, AH, as Els may be away on study leave (but not yet approved despite application going in in March!!! )
  • Options
    WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Alehouse, cheers I have all but one time now. Think it may have been 2000 but I'm not sure and can't go back that far. 

• Options
    DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Wabo, I probably have the race results for the year(s) I ran it going back to 1994. 
    And yes - GFA!!
  • Options
    WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Dustin I used to keep everything but I don't know where it all is!
    not sure this will work
    https://www.rutlandcycling.com/314386/products/2016-specialized-vita-comp-carbon-disc-ladies-hybrid-bike---whiteblue.aspx
  • Options
    The sun is now shining and temp risen to 6C - feeling distinctly warmer!
    4.5 miles done earlier and may add to that yet.
  • Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Afternoon

Yeah me  again

LMH I checked your result before coming here thought you did really well. Sorry it wasn't what you wanted and didn't know you weren't really fit enough. That was superb running nonetheless

I will have to read back to see how everyone else did

Sorry must make a habit of posting back here been doing a  bit of running here and there been walking more too. making an effort to walk more.

Shall post back soon but need to get ready for work. still on 2  nights a week with some day shifts bit  manic at times
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Good to see you Pammie! Stick around!!!

Well the rain was blow away, so went to cricket, and glad I did. Too cold to sit outside though, even with hat and gloves. Managed to get a good view from a seat in the pavilion and watched my team win. And when I wasn't watching was trying to familiar myself with the Tomtom!

Glad your weather improved, OH: snow forecast for the hillier parts of this area overnight!
  • Options
    Snow...in April.....
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Think I have posted this before, WP, but it always amuses me to see cricket called off in June: 
    http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/cricket/you-think-weather-bad-snow-11261298

• Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    LMH and Dustin - excellent results, well done both of you.

Chicksta - excellent team running, well done

seem to have started a bit of a streak.... into double figures :-) 6.75m at club tonight.

Take care all
  • Options