Options

Calf Sprain - what can I do

HI all - this is my first, just started getting into running and loving it!

I've now been running 2-3 times a week for the past few months. I'm 39 and felt I needed to start getting fitter before my 40th. I'm relatively fit but could certainty lose a stone or two. Aim is to do a 10K within the next 10 months.

However, last week I sprained (I think) my calf in the 3rd mile of my run and had to stop. Left it 3 days, and as I had no pain, went for a run today. After plenty of warm up, again on mile 3 my calf went again.

Would love to get some advise off experienced and beginner runners. I don't want to stop as today was the first time I felt very comfortable running at a steady 9.5 minute/mile pace.

Does calf supports work, should I leave running for a week, or bike for a while.. I don't want to lose my current fitness.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Rest I'd say. Make sure it's ready to run on again when you go next time and the fitness will return quickly. Your fitness must be good if you're running 2-3 times a week. A 10k in 10 months will be a synch. I've had a couple of shin/calf issues and it's usually nothing that some rest sorts out. Consider swimming in the meantime perhaps?