Options

Acute peroneal tendon pain after turning ankle - rest or keep active?

I mis-stepped off of a verge while walking on Monday and went over on my ankle - inversion style. I've previous suffered a bad break that way, so my heart was pumping, but within a couple of minutes I had walked it off. No bruising, no obvious swelling, no problem... phew... or so I thought.

Tuesday I woke up with stiffness and pain just above and behind the outside of my ankle, into the back of my calf. Range of motion only slightly restricted, able to walk almost pain free most of the time. I can do 10 hops on it. Iced it a few times. Painful to press on over the peroneal tendons but nothing to see. I ran around 10k on it in the evening - club race or I would have left it longer - with some randomly applied KT tape that definitely 'felt' better. After around 1k it stopped hurting while running, and the pain has never been more than a 4/10. Last night it ached pretty much all night.

This morning it's a bit worse that yesterday. Not very surprising...

I have a set of races coming up that I really don't want to miss - the first is in 10 days time, a very hilly trail HM, with two more similar races and a road 10k over the next few weeks.

Obviously I'm hoping that it's partly some degree of DOMS in the muscle and tomorrow I will wake up nearly pain free...

I'm doing ROM exercises and a bit of stretching, carrying on with the icing. But I'm unsure how to judge how 'active' to be in my rest. I'm ok to not run between now and my first race, but is there a rule of thumb about how much walking to do? Static bike? Dreadmill? Should I actually do a bit of gentle run/walk to keep the rest of the strength up?

Previously when I've had a standard Grade I-II ankle sprain (stable) the advice from hospital was that if you can do it without wincing then staying active, including weight bearing, is a faster recovery and less deterioration - that sitting on the sofa was the worst possible idea.

It seems like all the information on line about peroneal tendon injuries relates to chronic inflammation, where this was very much an instant injury. Does anyone have experience of an acute peroneal tendon injury I can learn from?

Thanks!