Options

Etiquette

PodroPodro ✭✭✭
I have a question regarding the etiquette of coping with teenagers who make useful comments as one runs past them on an evening training run. The type of comments that one usually gets are things like; "Hut! Hut! Hut!" "Oi mister, nice tights", "Can't you go any faster than that fat boy?".

Should one:
A. Smile and grin and wave vaguely at the cackling halfwits
B. Come back with a witty riposte calling into question their evolutionary history.
C. Clip the little b***ers around the earhole as one runs past.

I chose option C for the first time on Sunday night and it gave me an immense amount of satisfaction.

Pip pip
Podro

Comments

• Options
    I take it you don't live in South London then?
  • Options
    Ask them to join in-that'll shut 'em up!
  • Options
    PodroPodro ✭✭✭
    GaryT
    Not since 1991. West Yorkshire kids seem to be slightly less menacing and a bit slower on the uptake. It took at least 30 seconds for what I had done to sink in and the shouts of 'knobhead' to follow me up the road. When I came back 5 minutes later they all legged it as fast as they could.
    Pip pip
    Podro
  • Options
    Podro, most teenagers are alot taller than me so I doubt I will ever strike one of them. Never had trouble with teenagers myself when running (there I said it and will probably have an incident tomorrow) in fact the last lot I met on Sunday were well behaved and polite and even gave friendly hellos and good mornings and gave way so I could pass and wished me a good run.
  • Options
    SticklessStickless ✭✭✭
    Not an option for me either, though I be fairly tall. Any of them could outrun me in the short distance.

I'm lucky enough to be able to choose my time of day and direction.

Happily I've not met much of it, and what I've met I've just ignored.

• Options
    Podro : As I usually run in the evenings I say to any catcalling kids things like "Won't your mummy be worried about you being out so late", "Shouldn't you be in bed by now", and (especially to teenagers) simply "Hello, children"

Another I enjoyed was a couple of twelve year olds were keeping up with me on their bikes, however every time they tired of the game I called back to them "Getting tired, are you". They would then catch me up. It took them quite a time to realise how far they had gone away from where they wanted to be.
  • Options
    Good thread.
    I get this 'problem' on my runs in Leeds.
    My solution is to tell them to 'shut up'.
    That usually works. My kids would not dare to call out to complete strangers in the street and I don't expect other peoples kids to do it to me.
    The worse incident was when a strange posssibly mentally handicapped chap ran behind a group of us for half a mile or so.

Stu.
  • Options
    `Have you finished your homework then'?

Or `I wish I had your life sitting in a bus shelter in Athersley / Kendray / New Lodge (delete as appropriate)'.

One of the kids I teach made out as if to trip me the other night. I put out my arm to balance myself (honestly m'lud) and caught him a blow in the chest, winding him for a while.
  • Options
    PodroPodro ✭✭✭
    Stu
    If the strange chap had a red backpack on it was probably me - I run in Leeds/Guiseley area.
    I take the same view as you about my kids and have come around to the idea that I'm not going to take any cr*p from other people's kids. If they have a problem with it then tough. Maybe I'm just getting less easygoing in my old age.

barnsleyrunner;
    Would it be true to assume that these kids never get a good clip round the earhole at school (and home probably) and so think that they can get away with anything? Should we bring back the birch (or hanging)!

Perhaps we should set up a database of witty put-downs because I only ever seem to think of them 5 minutes later. We could print them out as a wrist band to consult instead of a pace timing band.....

Pip pip
    Podro
  • Options
    Podro,

Isn't there a 10k in Guiseley on Sunday?
    I plan to run that one all being well.
    Any idea what the course is like?

Ta.
    Stu.
  • Options
    I got some slaver from a youngish kid when I was 3 hours into my long run last year and snapped back with "Looks like you could do with a bit of exercise yourself" he was a bit weighty. Felt a bit childish myself later on.

Currently it's a group of kids who join in for about 50 yards or so singing "118 118 118" to the rocky tune. I tuck in behind and kick their heels together the say "F off you little C's" in an agresive manner, but I always a bully when in a group.
  • Options
    PodroPodro ✭✭✭
    Guiseley Gallop?
    Never run it but I train around there on part of the course. I won't be doing it this year because of FLM. I beleive that it takes you through Spring woods - horribly muddy at the moment and along the paths/tracks around Esholt sewage works (hold your nose!), the canal tow path and the road through Esholt past the golf driving range. The towpath/road part is relatively flat but through the woods there are a few smallish hills and a lot of mud.
    Have fun - lets hope there is not much more rain before Sunday..

Podro
  • Options
    popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    Normally they are just having a bit of fun so something like -

"up late on a school night aren't you?"

or on Fri/Sat the one about homework.

Always worth having a few stock answers so it appears you are sharp witted!
  • Options
    I get it all the time, teenagers, I wasn't like that at there age. I usually get the 'run forest run' or the '118 118' jokes. I just ignore it, mostly because they are all bigger than me!

Or I have my music up sooo loud that I can't hear them.

I find the worst culprits are men!! Especially ones in there white vans! Do I need to say any more...?
  • Options
    i've had the "got your number" one... it's so funny I have to stop and relieve myself in the bushes.

Living in South London I would never hit a pesky kid for a childish wise crack, as they are more than likely have a 25 year or so, older brother or mate who deals drugs and has a gun. Running a regular 10k route pass a local school, i'm more then likely to bump into them again next week when this gun weilding maniac is around!

I cycle every day in London and I did use to bang on car roofs and hurl abuse back when some idiot had just cut me up or nearly killed me. But i've learnt over the years that the best policy is to ignore the @**ker*! as long as they don't actually touch me.

Just relax and enjoy your run!

• Options
    MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    Just ignore. Totally ignore. If you answer back you a) descend to their level and b) give them a response so they'll continue to hassle you.

They're just slack-jawed gormless little chavs with nothing better to do. Most teenagers are totally harmless, they're all mouth and no trousers. They won't touch you, they haven't got the brains to figure out what to do.

Ignore.
  • Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    And if they try and run with you how far will they actually get?
  • Options
    I think the record is 20 metres.
  • Options
    JjJj ✭✭✭
    You can SPEAK when you're running?
  • Options
    I find this a problem sometimes but generally ignore them as this seems to infuriate more. I find it more worrying when they run along side or behind me but figure that although they may run faster initially, they invariably cant keep running and then i look back with a smug smile!
  • Options
    Too true muttley.
    like the term "slack-jawed gormless little chavs"

if they run after you I have just stopped running sometimes and stood still and say nothing. This totally confuses their liitle heads as the game is that your supposed to run at all costs for their amusement.

I find the hasle is worse when you are running in tights... men in tights and all that!

Woman always complain about men in vans shouting at them... run pass a group of giggly school girls in tights and it's all whistles and shouts all the way down the road! so it works both ways.

all part of the fun of the urban runner.
  • Options
    MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    Tee hee Andycat! There's a posh girls-only public school just down the road from where I live. I sometimes find them having crafty fag breaks just off one of the tracks I use ... but I haven't been wolf-whistled or propositioned yet. Perhaps I should ditch my Ron Hill tracksters and wear tights instead?
  • Options
    I was encouraged recently by a young handsome black man who shouted "GO SISTER" as i plodded past, i hoped he recognised the kenyan athlete in me!!
  • Options
    MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    You had a Kenyan athlete in you? Lucky lady!
  • Options
    Mutty old chap. I'd loose those tracksters for sure! you won't look back I asure you... well only for a fleating glance at the girls from St. Trinian‘s.

I might have an old cat suit you could borrow if you want?

• Options
    Usually with the club when out in urban areas- therefore don't get bad hassle. Tho' last week a group of 10 of us got individual taunts from small boys on bikes- I got the 'and you're ugly'.

Don't think I'm ugly (i.e. don't have a face like a bucket of smashed crabs), just a bit pink.

Daydreamed about kicking the child off its bike for the rest of the run. Made it pass quicker.
  • Options
    we had some kids pretend to fall off their bikes to get us to stop and help??? Do they realy have nothing better to do. You could try a water pistol, get a bit in front then squirt!!! Good for dogs too.
  • Options
    When out in a group from the club, we usually invite the kids harrassing us to join in with the offer, if you can run to our club with us, we'll give you a mars bar and a lift home - a couple have tried, but none ever made it more than a few hundred yards.
    When i'm on my own I don't seem to attract much heckling. I tend to ignore it, although I did once have a drunk emerging from a local hostelry (lunch time session)grab me and ask for a dance - his mates rescued me and apologised most profusely though most of it was slurred!
  • Options
    I tend to have a good laugh as I run past followed by a quick sprint just in case....! (but they usually find bashing up the nearest telephone box more interesting)