Options

Newbie: Does the pain go away?

Hey! I'm trying to get in to running, I mainly want to lose weight but I'd like to get to a point where it becomes a hobby I enjoy.

I've tried running a couple times before but every time I get really bad pains in my shins, and my calves feel like they're about to cramp up. So both times I've managed to do about 10 minutes (more jogging than running) on about 4 different occasions, and I end up giving up because the pain just doesn't feel worth it. I feel like I do more damage than good.

I decided to try the couch to 5k for the first time yesterday. I found the pain wasn't so bad due to the walking breaks between running. I didn't manage to finish the full round though (I walked through the last 3 running sprints). However, I could still feel the pain start to come on and if I continued I know it would have got worse.

Does this pain go away? Is the pain normal for newbies? Is there anything I can do to stop it?

I have a pretty good pair of trainers I bought specifically to run in, and I'm running outdoors on the pavement (no gym sessions).

Comments

• Options
    JimineyJiminey ✭✭✭

It does get easier, like anything its just practice. Don't worry about what a plan says at the moment just do what feels best for you. If you have to do walk and jog that is perfectly fine. If it takes you a while to get used to it that is fine too.

• Options
    The couch to 5k program is pretty good. And yes the pain does go. You may find you need to stretch more, or like me I was recommended some compression socks for my shins as I suffer badly from shin splints. I never run without them now.

Good luck and keep at it.
  • Options
    warm ups are important - and cool down stretches after the walking.x
  • Options
    CrazeeTCrazeeT ✭✭✭
    Alice, run with a group. When you run alone you don't push yourself. Your head gives up long before your legs. It never gets really easy as you'll always be pushing yourself. Also a deep tissue massage may help. You could have very knotted muscles which could lead to injury.
  • Options
    I would take it easy at first, maybe try to mix the run and walk during the first few sessions. All you have to do is to allow your body to get into the rhythm of running. It does take a while so do not expect to be nice and easy. The reward to be able to run your first 5k and 10k will be worth it. I used to hate running and now I have been off for a couple of weeks due to injury and I am feeling a bit depressed. Running is tough but extremely addictive. Maybe try to work on your running form too? The pain in your calves may be due to hitting the ground heel first to much. I would advise to correct it as quickly as possible.
  • Options
    CrazeeTCrazeeT ✭✭✭
    Are your running trainers actually proper running trainers ? Have you had a professional fitting ? Makes a massive difference.