Options

Help me run 21:30 for 5km without doing running training

Hi

Generally I struggle with little niggly injuries so I would like to do all my training on the bike and so reduce impact related problems.

My best parkrun is now 22:37 but I would really like to get this down to 21:30.

Any ideas how to put my body through the right training with just a bicycle and the roads/trails?

I am thinking of something like 2 sessions a week. One a hard 30 minute constant cycle and the other something like reps of 1km sprint then 1km rest x10. Or even cycling up hills hard then back down and doing reps of that.

Ideally I want to just to limit my running to the park one once a week.

Any with any pointers?

And yes I do see physios/massage to try and help the injuries and workout causes, but I find reducing my impact works best for me.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    >> ✭✭✭
    What injury do you have?

I don't think it's great to just have your only run as a parkrun - it is a sort of race.

I would try and do a steady trail type run once a week and cross trail on the bike.
  • Options
    Various calf and foot, from too much football/general wear and tear

ok, but I do a ratio of 1:3 in that 1 pb attempt compared to 3 24-25min runs

As stated, I am only looking for bike training suggestions. Any thoughts on specific sessions?
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    if you are looking purely for bike training options you might be asking in the wrong place. Most here will tell you that you need to run. Perhaps post in the triathlon forum?
  • Options
    I should ass I have got my park run down from about 27 mins to 22:37 just through cycling now and again (albeit cycling hard) and park runs. I have not lost any weight so it much be cardio adaptations from cycling.

I appreciate there will be a certain time you cannot get beneath unless you start doing more running sessions, but I think 21:30 is easily possible just through cardio improvements. I just need some pointers.