Options

Historically injury prone but maybe progress in the air?

Hi,
I'm wanting to get into running, partly because it should be "easy" due to not really requiring any specific equipment apart from some good footwear. However, historically i've been quite prone to really sore shins when I run, feeling like they're getting a real battering when I strike the ground so much that i'm quickly forced to stop or I suffer for days afterwards.
However, recently at my gym we've been made to run around the car park at the gym and though it's no great distance (maybe 400m 1/2 carpark or 800m for the full lap) i'm finding that i'm able to do a complete lap or even do consecutive laps mixed with other exercises.
Generally I do strength training at the gym and love deadlifts and squats (though I don't feel particularly strong) but would love to mix it up and do a bit of running as its something i've never been able to get on top of.

I also feel a little awkward with the fact that I could only run short distances before struggling, I don't suppose anyone has been in a similar situation that maybe able to offer some advice or thoughts? Is it better to just slowly push the distance that i've managed do you think or try the run / walk programs that i've not been too successful with in the past?

So far the most i've managed recently is 5 x 400m (approx) with other excersises pretty much non-stop. That would be running then some arm excersises and rows - not heavy weights though, just to give an idea of recent achievements.

Comments

• Options
    I've been running for 4 months now and have had sore shins on and off too! Trying to take it a bit easier and restrain myself from pushing too hard has helped and found some exercises to strengthen the shins has helped too (toes together and go up onto tiptoes 10 times and then the same with heels together instead)
  • Options
    I've had similar problems in the past. I find doing the exercises suggested above can be helpful as well as walking a lot on days I'm not running. Most importantly though I think is when you do go our for runs to only increase the distance by a small amount each time.