Options

4 weeks until HM - Bad week

Today is 4 weeks until my first Half Marathon.. I have been following a 12 week training plan with after a 10k in July which I also trained for. 

Over the last 4.5 weeks I have ran 10, 12, 14 and 16km as my long runs. Last Sunday was my 16km and it felt great until I stopped, slight groin ache/pain for a couple of days and Tight/aching right calf which comes and goes. So I took a few days rest and in the last week I have just ran a 3 and 5km run very slow with still a bit of tightness/aching. So I skipped any sort of long run for this weekend and I am now wondering what to do in the final 4 weeks. 

Do I attempt another long run (I was supposed to be going for 18 this week and 20km next week) or is this overkill? Especially as I want to stay injury free and just complete the HM.

Any advice or tips on tapering greatly appreciated! Read a lot of about the 2 week rule which only really gives me one long run weekend left.

Comments

• Options
    Definitely get a sports massage. Tightness and aching are par for the course - the key is not to let them turn into an injury. Often a massage or two will sort you right out, but it might be worth also seeing a sports physio to diagnose any potential issues you have so you can nip them in the bud.
  • Options
    Thanks Cal, I'll see if I can get booked in somewhere.

Definitely don't feel like injuries yet and no day to day pain.

I tend to get a few niggles which come and go as I run
  • Options
    PG3PG3 ✭✭✭
    Get a sports massage for sure, stretch, foam roll the area and I really dont think you need to run more than 10/11 miles in training for a HM.  20k, esp as you say you just want to complete, is a big ask. You've got some great training in already so that will hold you in great sted. Good luck.