Options

Trainers

Can anyone recommend trainers that fulfil the following criteria: 1) suitable for trail running, 2)correct for overpronation, 3) don't have the natty 'netting' on the top that seems popular but lets in water when splashing through puddles? Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Martin

I wear the trail version of the Nike Pegasus, it's called Air Stormy Pegasus or something like that. It isn't waterproof, but is very water resistant. Whether it will be OK for overpronation, I don't know whether you would get that level of biomechanic accuracy on a trail shoe.

Neil
  • Options
    ChaosChaos ✭✭✭
    I understood that trail shoes didn't really require stability features much since those are largely for those of us stressing our feet by pounding along hard concrete/tarmac surfaces for long periods of time. The undulating nature of a trail negates this impact to a degree. You could try the http://www.runnersworld.com shoefinder for some pointers.
  • Options
    NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    As someone who does a bit of hillwalking, the netting is a good thing. It may let water in when you splash, but it also lets water out when you go through a really deep bit and all the mucky water goes over the top of your shoes and down the sides. Leather hiking boots do not have this facility, and get pretty uncomfortable when full of water.
  • Options
    After last nights sploshing i'm definitely looking for something waterproof - stormy pegs were described somewhere as 'toastie' and thats good enough for me

anyone know of any good waterproof or repellant socks?

I know I'm a wimp but its going to take days to dry my shoes out - eeeugh!
  • Options
    Martin

Try the Asics Gel Nandi - it meets all your criteria. Might be discontinued, which means they should be available cheap, eg Bourne Sports were advertising them discounted.
  • Options
    Martin,

Having required shoes with all of the criteria you specified I couldn't find anything that even came close.

I ended up with Saucony Grid stabil, which i am happy with as a shoe, and sprayed them liberally with shoe protector, but it obviously doesn't waterproof them.

I can put up with that, but my worry is whether they will disintigrate with all the wetness followed by drying them out?

If all else fails I'm going to try a neutral trail shoe with orthotics next time.

• Options
    Bune--I've just bought some Stormy Pegs and they're great--very toasty, but amazingly everytime I've been out this week it's stopped raining so I don't know how waterproof they are. On the sock front, there are waterproof socks called Porelle Dry--you can get them in outdoor type of shops like Cotswolds (they have a website, but i don't know the address), and motorcycle shops sometimes sell them. The socks are about 25 quid, though. Or Nikwax do something called Polar Proof, which lets you waterproof pretty much any synthetic fabric--presumably including socks. You have to wash the item in Tech Wash or soap flakes (to avoid detergent buildup)then wash it again in the proofing agent. So long as it's re-washed in Tech Wash or soap flakes, the proofed item stays pretty waterproof for about 60 washes . . . I've waterproofed everything from leggings to my not quite rainproof jacket, and it's actually quite effective--and doesn't affect breathablity either. Haven't thought about doing socks before, though! Might give it a go, because I'm bound to get wet eventually. You can get Nikwax stuff from Blacks, Millets, all those sorts of places, incidentally.
  • Options
    I vaguely remember looking for waterproof socks years ago, and a mate suggested that you could get them in cycling shops. Not sure how true it is, but worth a try anyhow. Good luck with it.
  • Options
    Just seen this and been talking about waterproof socks on another thread.

Porelle Dry's work extremely well (I've waded through streams in the Andes with only them on and stayed dry) but I'm not sure I would want to run in them as they are a little stiff and don't exactly fit the foot well - I describe them as being like baggy thin neoprene. I do however use them for mountain biking in wet & muddy conditions and they are great for that. There's also a similar brand called Seal Skinz.

On the other hand I don't think Polar proof would work on anything very well where there's permanent contact with water as socks in wet trainers would be. I'd try one of the Nikwax products intended for leather and/or fabric boots in preference and use it on the trainers - but even then with all the flexing they will soon let in water.

Maybe someone will come out with a trail shoe soon with a Goretex lining like a lot of walking boots have now. My Meindl boots have it and they have never let water in.
  • Options
    Hi folks,

Nike Air DriGoat's have a Gortex lining.

I use them for all my off-road running and foul weather road running as well (they are well cushioned in the heal, and for limited road running they should be OK).

They have a covered zipup upper that keeps out water and stops laces getting covered in mud etc

Used them in the snow and kept my feet dry and warm.

hope this helps