Options

Battling Running Demons

I have finally got a London Marathon place in April :smiley: On the longer runs I usually battle with my mind demons, telling me to give up or trying to make up plausible excuses to just stop. My question is how does everyone else battle their demons and win?

Comments

• Options
    Whether it is 3K, 5K, 10K, HM or Marathon all these are daunting as they are challenge at different abilities and many long time runners have gone through the ranks of these. Therefore Stage 1 completed, you have entered. That is in the bank and something to be proud of. Usually first hurdle to fall at.

Now you are a runner of the LM. Stage 2 try to run with somebody else when training if you can. Makes a massive difference, whether a friend or running club, so long as it is supportive and not competitive to point where somebody is much better and makes you feel like you are rubbish. I run 6, 7 or 8 miles for enjoyment regularly, but when I hit getting to 10 miles on my own it gets long in the tooth and is running not for enjoyment but a neccersary chore that has to be done. Running with somebody else makes this a social activity, an encouraging experience. If you do not have somebody to run with or no clubs in your locality a sports app with a social support element could help to some extent.

Stage 3 don't look at it as 26.2 miles. It sounds awful. Google stepped or staged achievement (theories by Cox and Locke are two good training theories for any sporting activity). Think of it as 5x5 mile runs with a finishing leg. Although there are loads of training plans to physically get you ready it is the mental Interpretation of what you are doing. Only ever think of it as 5 miles at a time, get one stage out of the way at a time, with each five mile stage done concentrate on the amazing achievement of what you have just done. Five times you feel elated and pleased with yourself throughout the marathon spurring you on. Instead of feeling "my god how much further". Also don't run for a good time at any stage, run to complete and enjoy the atmosphere.

Through all of these stages starting now generate and retain a frame of mind that you can say to yourself:

"I can't believe it, I'm doing a marathon! I would never have imagined 10 years ago that I would even be thinking about it".

"Many other people that have entered are thinking why have I done this just like I was up until a few minutes ago".

If you can get your head in the right frame of thinking then the biggest training issue is over.

So I would say, well done, it is an amazing thing you have done entering, you will doubt yourself many times I'm sure, you will have crap training days where you think, "I'm not ready for this, I can't do this". I did 22 miles last week running with someone, felt great afterwards and cut my garden hedges and mowed the lawn afterwards. Then at the weekend ran just 5.5 miles, below my average run distance (usually 6 or 7) on my own and thought I can't be arsed with this and turned back home, thinking am I really ready for another marathon. But of course I know that is tosh.

Also atmosphere of the event helps massively.

These are my own opinions, will differ from others, I'm not a trainer or coach, but works for me, hope some element is helpful.

Ben
  • Options
    The simplest and very effective thing to do is to print out your training plan and pin it up. Only look at one week at a time and most importantly, cross each run off as you complete them. This is a constant reminder of your achievement to date and when you're on that run and the negative thoughts try to get in, just think about crossing off another run on your plan when you've finished it.
  • Options
    With half marathons in particular, I find it easier and less boring this way - rather than seeing it as 'i've got 12 miles to go. I've got 11 miles to go.' i'll break it down into smaller chunks, that I can deal with better mentally. It may be nonsense but it works for me. So usually ill either think -

Once i've done 4 miles, there's only 9 miles left and that's single digits, which is an easy run!

Or

I split it into 4 5k races. When I reach the end of one, it's just another 5k race to do. Then at the end of that it's the final mile which is always enjoyable anyway.

That's probably all just a load of balls, but it certainly helps my brain with the boredom of just seeing each mile marker.
  • Options
    JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    I have the 2/3 issue. I get to the point 2/3 through any race (all the way from 5k to HM) when the hurt is too much, the desire to stop is huge, the effort to keep going is immense. Just remember the training done and the desire that it doesn't go to waste helps me get through the tough patch get through a little bit of distance and then you are nearly done...easy ;)
  • Options
    On long training runs, I tell myself "that marathon isn't going to run itself"  and "nobody's making you do this except you so shut up and get it done."
    During the race, the crowds, marshalls and other runners are usually enough to keep me ploughing through.