Options

Will doing hill repeats 3 weeks out from a hilly 10k make any difference?

Im thinking about doing a 10k in a few weeks but it's hilly and I'm wondering if doing hill repeats will benefit me this close to the race. I've built up a decent level of fitness after being injured and ran a 10k on a easier course 2 weeks ago within 30 seconds of my PB.  I'm just not sure if I should carry on doing my normal speedwork or change to hillwork.  

Comments

• Options
    HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Yes, I think it will help, but don't overdo it. As with anything you haven't done much before it's very easy to do too much and end up sore and/or injured which would be really bad for your race.
  • Options
    DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    You won't pb, but definitely do 1-2 sessions of hills before easing off in the last week.
    It won't make a huge impact on your performance (sorry, being honest), but it will remind you both mentally and physically the demands of hill running so it doesn't come as a complete shock on race day.

Try something like a 2-3 minute steady incline, run up harder, jog back recovery. Repeat 3-4 times.
    If there is a shorter, sharper hill (30-45s to run up) try 10 hill sprints. Obviously this won't be full on sprinting but hard enough to maintain 10 times.  Slow jog/walk back down.

• Options
    MrSoftMrSoft ✭✭✭
    Cheers for the advice. I know I won't get near a PB because I expect to lose time on the hills, I just don't want to lose too much time on the hills sections.  I do run a tough 3-4 minute hill section on my long run x3/4 times, but haven't done a specific hill sessions for a while. I'm happy to do a hill sessions I'm just wondering how long a hill session takes before you feel the benefit.