Options

P&D Spring Marathon 2018

Comments

• Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Morning all.

Very impressive back-to-back workouts NE-well done!

Best of luck Spoons, Ramjet, Jools and anybody else racing this weekend.
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭
    Morning.
    Good news Spoons. Well done on your race followed by a LT sesh NE.
    I've got a bit of a niggle, outside of lower right leg. Started on the last few miles of my 20mi LR yesterday. Had an overuse injury here before that stopped me running for a few months...so being a bit cautious. Icing it. Need to find my compression socks. No running today. See how it feels tomorrow.
    Daughter has got another cross country today and again the weather is shit. She also has a bit of a cold, I don't think she should do it, she wants to. We'll see.
  • Options
    Good work on the back to back hard days NE

Hope the niggle is nothing serious Westy!

Cold out there this morning, but 40minutes done. Now for a day of football, rugby and beer
  • Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    NE: sounds like a fun race. Good result for you and the club. I’ve got Bramley 20mi race tomorrow just outside Basingstoke. Nice 2x10mi laps on quiet country lanes. Low key and I’m running it with a mate for company as we are similar pace

Itll be a quick turnaround as I need to get back to Southampton for the Liverpool match which kicks off in the afternoon. One advantage is I won’t have time for the pub so there will be no peer pressure to drink :)
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭
    Kid did the XC. It was very, very muddy.
    Winter proper is coming - possibly. 
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    No harm in back to back hard sessions NE - particularly as you'd not run for a few days prior. Very different efforts too. The night race was more of a strength session whereas the LT was just that. Good pace after Thursday & 5s/mile is reassuringly heading in the right direction.
    Congratulations to young Miss Westy - tough going I'm sure.
    Disappointingly sluggish parkrun for me today (19:18) but it was plenty enough for 1st place: 2nd  was 20:00. Don't think I was really up for it mentally as finished in 5:49 pace. Got a crazy double race planned for tomorrow: Dursley Dozen - 12M of hilly trails with plenty of mud then 6M hilly XC in the afternoon!
  • Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Not like you to have a mental racing weekend Jools  :D
  • Options
    Tom: the gloves are Craft Hybrid Weather 2-in-1.  The Nathan ones mentioned by spoons sounds similar.  

Good biking Joe.  

Good luck for your races tomorrow AWC, Jools and spoons if you read this before - if not I hope you had good ones.

Hope the new niggle is only a minor one Reg and the same also to Westy.

Well done on your 22 miles ramjet.    

Yellow is a good colour scott and awc.  Not so sure about the pink hat ;)

Brr to the wading in your race NE.  

10 miler with 6 at LT for me yesterday.  The LT section was tough but I got through it well without a drop in pace.  5.5 miles recovery today with OH (unusually).  First 20 miler of the current campaign tomorrow. 
  • Options
    RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭
    Shame about the Arsenal result Scott - I can't bear to watch MOTD tonight.

Nice race and tempo session NE. Impressive that you can maintain your HR so high for so long.

Well done on the parkrun first finisher Jooligan! Enjoy your races tomorrow.

Sounds like a tough few days of the plan Hazel!

I was at the same XC as Westy's daughter. And I can confirm it was very muddy. In fact more of a quagmire in places (including the finish straight.) I did it as a fairly light tempo session and quite enjoyed it. I think Thursday's long run was still in my legs as I struggled to get my HR up to LT effort.
  • Options
    A quick check in to wish tomorrow’s (today’s) racers good luck, RSR, Jools & AWC , and anyone else. 

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Morning. Good luck to all racing, hope the weather where you are isn't like it is in NW England this morning.
    Decided to give my legs an extra rest day, still got a pain on outside of calf.
  • Options
    JohnOzJohnOz ✭✭✭
    Good luck spoons, AWC and jools. 

Westy - she sounds like she’s got what it takes to be a proper runner!

Good XC efforts ramjet and joe. 

Enjoy the 20miler Hazel. 

Managed 22mi today with last 3mi around 6:40 pace. Pleased to finally get a decent run in as all the others this week have felt less than average. Hope it continues into next week. 
  • Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Morning all.

Excellent XC efforts Ramjet and Westy's daughter!

How is that niggle Westy? Not too bad hopefully.

Hope those racing went well today. Very windy here so conditions probably not ideal.

Well done on the LT run Hazel. Enjoy the 20 miler and thanks for the glove recommendation.

Great long run John.

Long run in the strong wind for me today. Decided to not look at the watch and took it fairly easy. 24 miles (my longest ever training run) @ 6:42m/m felt comfy and brought up 80 miles for the week (my biggest ever) so quite pleased with how it's going.
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭
    Well done Tom. Niggle not too bad after lots of RICE, will test it out tomorrow.
  • Options
    Good to hear you enjoyed the XC despite the mud ramjet.  

Nice long runs by JohnOz and Tom.

Probably a good idea on the rest day westy.  

After announcing on here I would do the 20 miler I couldn't really not do it today.  Slushy snow and sleet the whole way round but not much wind so I didn't get cold.
    Pacing ok - no drop off towards the end - I must be getting used to running long runs on not so fresh legs.

Good week for me at 54 miles. 
  • Options
    Good long run John and Hazelnut and Tom and hope the niggle clears up West. 
    Today was D day for my marathon plans. Nearly 2 weeks of running with calf and achilies niggles had led to me deciding if I couldn't do a long run today I was going to bin the spring marathon, rest up for a week or more and rethink my plans. I grabbed my orthotic insoles as a last resort and headed out on a out and back 2 mile stretch by my house so if it flared up I wouldn't be far from home. I headed out and told the wife I could be 10 minutes or 3 hours as I wanted to run 26.2 miles.
    2h57 later and 26.6 miles done with only a couple of twinges. Hopefully there will be no major flair ups tomorrow but I'm pretty pleased. 
  • Options
    Sounds positive Phil. I'm guessing you did that same stretch over & over again. Neighbours probably think you're barmy. Most of my family & mates certainly think I am - even the runners.
    Nice LRs from Tom, Hazel & John too. 
    Well pleased with today's double race day. After a 1K loosener Super Sunday kicked off at 10:30am with the Dursley Dozen. It starts with a 1M climb from town to the golf course then around that before plunging back down through the woods on muddy trails then up again & down & repeat til at about 9.5M the climb known as the precipice requires the assistance of a rope to prevent yourself slithering back down! 12M & over 2000ft of climb in 1:38:57 got me 29th of about 500 & 4th MV45. I was 2nd for the club & we narrowly missed the team vet prize. 10 minutes later we (2 fellow clubmates were nutty enough to join me for this madcap adventure :D ) were headed back to the car for the hour's drive to Pontypool for a brutally hilly XC course. 3 laps with 290ft of climb apiece & plenty of mud (of course), rocks, twists & turns. We had lovely sun, a bitingly cold wind & snow flurries. I was first home for the club in 154th trouncing the morning's victor by over 3 minutes (& 50 places) on aggregate.  B) We 3 were first 3 scorers for the club so a cracking day.
    Refreshing myself with Porter right now :)
    Going to be short & slow tomorrow!
  • Options
    Yes Jools same stretch of road and yes I recon I had some strange looks. Good racing today, impressive stuff.
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭
    Very impressive Jools you crazy man. Also very impressive long run Phil!
  • Options

Wouldn't be a normal weekend for you Jools without multiple races. 

Great work on the LT Hazel, always used to find those the hardest ones

Good long runs from John, Tom, Hazel and Phillip 

Yes, the football result was incredibly disappointing. At least England won in the rugby. Very hungover 60minutes today, only a tad under 8min miling as still felt terrible. Rest day tomorrow

• Options
    RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭
    Very impressive finishing pace on your LR John. Such a confidence boost when you finish strong.

Great distance and pace on your LR Tom. Always nice to set a weekly record as well.

Well done for getting that 20 miler done Hazelnut.

Amazing stuff Philip. I'm not sure if I'm more impressed by the casual sub 3 marathon in training or the fact you went over distance. If I did 26.2 and wasn't home there is no way I would carry on for another 0.4.

Crazy stuff as ever Jooligan but nicely done. I imagine you are due a couple of recovery days after that.

Good to see you getting some consistent mileage done Scott.

15 mile MLR for me this afternoon to bring up 82 for the week. Biggest week ever so nice to finish it with a 7 minute mile. Avoided the worst of the weather but still plenty of wind and snow. So ready for winter to end now.
  • Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Jools: cracking racing in those conditions!

Tom: strong long run. You look in really good shape. 

Phil: ha that’s mental. A 2 mile stretch and a sub 3 marathon :)

Hazel: well done on the long run

ramjet: great weekly mileage - you’ve been building up some great consistent training. 

Bramley 20 mile race today went well. First 10 were a bit slower than 7:30/mi and second 10 were a bit faster. Average 7:29/mi. I had a bit of a wobble at mile 16 which was a long incline into a very strong headwind. I felt myself slowing badly and really struggling but I dug in and finished strongly with a 7:00 min mile. Almost 2 min PB - 2:30:05

I’ve been struggling with a bit of a cold the last few days. Nothing serious but I could definitely feel it later in the race. Nice to have a run like that in the bank with 10 weeks to go. 

Finished the day off at St Mary’s watching a Liverpool win. All in all a great day!
  • Options
    Nice one AWC. Not an easy day for chasing times with the wind so that's an even better PB.
    Big mileage Rammers & Tom. I 'only' clocked 75 this week but that still means I'm averaging 80mpw for 2018 :)
    Checking back over my previous Dursley Dozen results, which stretch back in an unbroken streak to 2011, I find that today was my highest finishing position, 3rd fastest time on the course but my best time as a % of the top 5 so even happier with the result. B)
    Definitely due some recovery running now.
  • Options
    One of those races would have been enough for me I think jools though they both sound like good fun.  Great results and enjoy your recovery runs.

Well done on your marathon test Phil, hope there are no issues today.  

Nice MLR ramjet.

Great PB in your 20 mile race AWC despite your cold and the wind.  

Rest day for me today although I might be tempted to go out for a short recovery run myself later as its nice weather today unlike yesterday.  Need to work first though B)
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭
    Morning.
    Lots of miles being clocked on here, well done all.
    Still feel the niggle, will try a run later and see how it goes. Despite some snow/hail here over night and this morning, weather today looks ok.
  • Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Morning all.

Fantastic weekend racing Jools particularly given the conditions.

Congrats on the PB AWC-Awesome stuff and plenty more to come!

Excellent Long runs from Phil, Hazel and Ramjet.

Good luck with the niggle test Westy.

Just a 6 mile plod for me early doors. It was very cold and quite icy/slippy so I was very cautious.
    Looks a real mixed bag of weather this week. Current forecast is quite promising for Sunday though.....
  • Options

Nice parkrun first place, Jooligan. And a hell of a double Sunday! I’m not sure why I haven’t done Dursley Dozen yet, definitely my cup of tea and plenty of club mates do it. One for next year.

Hope the leg improves, Westy. Tough run of luck at the moment.

Impressive long runs, Hazel, John and Tom. And great weekly mileage Tom and Ramjet. 80M almost destroyed me a couple of weeks ago.

Haha nice marathon, PM. You must be very familiar with that stretch of road now.

Nice work AWC. Now recover properly from that cold.

13M steady yesterday, pleasing to finish with a few 6:4xs without increasing the effort. Race week now, beginning with 5M recovery this morning. -1C, beautiful sunrise, no wind. Bloody love it.

• Options
    Westy - good luck with the leg, hope that clears up. 

John, Tom, Hazel and especially Phil (!), great work with those long runs.

Classic jools - hard racing as always. It must've been hard to get going for the second race on Sunday? Impressive stuff.

Ramjet - nice racing and congrats on the biggest ever week.

AWC - I remember that hill well. Must've been horrible into a headwind. Things definitely looking up - keep grafting away.

SQ - rest up, all the hard work is in the bank. Hopefully we'll all get a chance to say hello either before or after. When you cruise past me in the last 2 miles I can't promise not to try and trip you up.

I had the final Surrey league XC race on Saturday, with the Clapham Chasers in a relegation scrap. Unfortunately, despite a great showing, we just missed out on staying up, and depart the top flight with our heads held high. I was really happy with my run, went as hard as I possibly could for the 5 miles, probably one of my best XC outings. That was only good enough for 108th/240, and 12th from my club, so I didn't factor into the scoring anyway (top 10 score). Then had 3.5 hours on the turbo yesterday.

Looking forward to Spoons report..
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭
    My calf is knackered! :'(
  • Options
    Bugger that's crap news.