Options

Wednesday 10th January 2018 - I have life

Morning.

Lyrics - I have life

Ordinary wife

I have car

Sorry - whinge alert. I don't know what to do. Peak flow hasn't come up any further but is manageable but whilst the original pulled muscle in my side has improved I now have what would appear to be a new one slightly higher up and more chest than side and this is cramping and causing quite a lot of pain. I want to be back out running and don't know what I can do to make that happen - HTFU, try and see what happens (maybe with the assistance of ibuprofen - I'm probably going to need some to get through work today anyway), rest (apart from Grace's walks), gym, swim, back to the doctors? First world problems I know and I'm sorry if this pathetic whine annoys anyone with real issues to contend with.

What:          Grace's walks and work are my only definites
Why:           see above
Last hard:   recovery is proving hard
Last rest:    9/1

Yesterday's lyrics - Waiting by Jake Bugg.
If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.

Comments

• Options
    DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Morning
    LmH - sounds like you're really suffering at the moment.
    Please whinge away, I think most of us on here know only too well the frustrations felt after a day or two out with injury let alone longer.
    Yes it may seem inconsequential to the masses but I think we all comprehend better than most how frustrating it can be. 
    Regrettably there aren't any magic potions other than will speed up the process, but at least you have the back up of swim/gym that can at least help retain some degree of sanity (and fitness).
    Don't write London off just yet. You have an excellent base level of fitness, and could easily put in a creditable performance off 10-12 weeks. 

What - kilo reps at lunchtime with work pal (his pace, not mine) so ~7s. Let's call it tempo!
    Why - He's got a marathon next month
    last rest - 15/12
    last hard - 10x100s last night. just shy of 10 miles in total. 
    lyric - seem familiar...
  • Options
    Little M.iss HappyLittle M.iss Happy ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Thanks Dustin. Unfortunately I don't think my gym/swim is doing much for fitness but it's definitely helping with maintaining some semblance of sanity.
  • Options
    LMH is the swim exacerbating the muscle problem? Have your tried (Ducks for cover) a few days of nowt to give yourself a chance to heal. A week out might just be what you need and you won't lose base level in that time. If there are no leg probs, stick to static bike/x-trainer and if you must hit the pool try water jogging and allow top half space to recover.
    Dustin: enjoy
    What: Not a lot
    Why: No excuse just because
    Last Hard: Havng taught tkd last night then drove to Bristol to pick up son and friends at 10.00 then back to Wales it was getting up again this morning
    Last Rest: Ongoing
    Lyrics : Hope so :-)

• Options
    SC: some good news at last.

Dustin: Nice speedwork

LMH: Doesn't sound like things are improving for you. Such a shame :(  I'd go back to the doctors. Something is clearly not right if peak flow doesn't improve and there's a new pain site.
    It's probably no consolation but I found 12 week build-ups ideal which would give you another 2 weeks to get better ;)

What: 10 and a bit miles done before work / Yoga challenge day 9 tonight
    Why: it was dry, there was no wind and we had plus temps, so no excuses really
    Last hard: yesterday's treadmill session
    Last rest: 17/12
    Lyrics: yes
  • Options
    emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    Morning

What: want to go for a run but waiting for a parcel (if I knew I could run 12km in 27 deliveries I'd go!)
    Why: parcel has exciting things in it so don't want to miss it!
    Last hard: dealing with announcements to family members in sensitive ways... (good announcement just we can't tell everyone at the same time by phone so one tells another etc...)
    Lyrics: nope

LMH that was not a whinge :)  On a running forum, we all understand how frustrated you feel.  I really do feel for you.  I'd echo SC's advice though, maybe swimming is contributing to the strained muscles? 

Chick your running is really coming back.  
    Dustin nice session.

Have a lovely day all.

• Options
    WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    morning all
    LMH, definitely feel free to whinge, we would all feel exactly the same! I just don't know what to advise, I think you are hard enough anyway so your body is telling to  go easy still? I feel for you. Good advice from Chick I think
    Emzap like the sound of the parcel, hope you get your run later
    SC busy busy bee!
    dustin enjoy!!!

Race was ok last night, hard and I did tire half way round but I wasn't last ;-)

What: hills later, in a short bit of time before shopping gets delivered!
    Why: busy 
    last hard: last night
    last rest: 31/12/16

Have a good day all 
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Options
    I want to know what the news is now emzap!

Nice running before work chicksta.

No need to duck SC. I have cut out some of my gym programme as I felt that might be irritating things (and my knee feels better for it) but I don't think any of my swimming muscles are affected, if anything it usually feels better after a swim - though that could be the steam room and sauna:-)

Hills after racing last night Wabo? Hardcore!
  • Options
    emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    I can tell you now all our family knows!

We got engaged on Sunday :)  (everyone else is more excited about this than we are!).
  • Options
    Congratulations emzap! Have you set a date?
  • Options
    An Other HalfAn Other Half ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Congrats emzap (*)

We've used this space to have a moan productively. LMH Hope things come together soon.

what: slow 13.3 miles (modified Kirkwall HM)
    why: need to start building miles
    last hard: that was
    lyrics no

Update re recent trip to Manchester:
    Flybe informed me that I was entitled to compensation twice once for denied boarding and again for subsequent cancelled flight so €250 x2. :)  
    However they failed to give a convincing reason for not checking me through at Manchester -"operator error at check-in desk" despite the fact I am aware of this happening 3 times with different staff over a period of time. "Retraining" (?aka bollocking) that member of staff is unlikely to stop this happening again either to me or other Flybe customers.

• Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Afternoon!

Interesting and exciting times, Emz! When and where? Just so we all know when and where to turn up!

What: 3k easy run with a couple of walk breaks. It should have been more...

Why: being sensible with Achilles but that wasn't an issue! Back was the worst it has been and jarred particularly badly going down a short hill. Trying to get an osteopath appointment.
    Edit: appointment next Monday, which seems a long time off!

And time for another appointment for you I suspect, LMH!

Good miles, ChickOH and Dustin yesterday.

Well raced, Wabo!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    LMH - if you can't moan here then it is a sad day :¬)

What: run AM and PM
    Why: It is Wednesday
    Last hard: Track League on the bike yesterday
    Last rest: Last year

10 days off fizzy pop now and going well. Diet has not been so good sadly

Congrat EmZAP!!!!!
  • Options
    One thing at a time Gobi - getting rid of the fizz is a good step.

Sorry to hear about your back Alehouse. I'm not sure what else the GP can offer apart from a chest x-ray (which we discussed and decided against last time). I keep hoping that my peak flow will come up and I'll feel able to run 'in the morning'. I could run with my current peak flow but I'm not so sure about the pulled muscles.

I'm glad you at least managed to wring a decent amount of compensation out of them OH. How about travelling with a copy of the email to show to the next person who decides not to check you through?
  • Options
    emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    That's a good outcome OH though still it shouldn't have happened...

Wabo the parcel contained potential wedding dresses (though we are not having a proper wedding, so really it contained party dresses).

Ale hopefully this summer.

Gobi cutting out pop is a good start!
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Having been ttotal for 30 years I am pretty good at this abstaining thing and having decided on a timeline until April 22nd I will achieve.

Diet though is always a challenge(don't get me wrong I am not big and better than most), I guess because I only want to lose 2/3 kgs
  • Options
    It's always harder when you don't have mu ch to lose and are active anyway Gobi.
  • Options
    Evening

EM: Congratulations on your exciting news :-) dusts off wedding hat;-) hang on wedding hat has been dispatched I may have to come hatless...LOL

LMH@ If you can not moan on here about injury and illness it is a sad world I just hope you can find a way through it all and patience.

What: 10.3 miles
    why: Summer coming
    Last hard the cold
    Lyrics: No

ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Good thought LMH, of which I had already had.
    Exactly emzap, I would rather they had just got me home on schedule.
    Next FlyBe trip to London next week ...

Sea temperature 4C tonight!
  • Options
    Congrats, em :heart:

And good news re compensation, OH.

Keep crossing my fingers that you feel better tomorrow, LMH

I think we're all pretty lean by non-running people's standards ;) When I go on at work about the need to lose a bit of lard they start rolling their eyes :p
  • Options
    Congratulations Emz...great news. 
    Ale....ouch.

• Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Congratulations Emzap :-)

LMH whinge away, :-) hope all sorts out soon

OH good news, better in your pocket than theirs :-)

continuous reps for me tonight 9x 600 (Easy / Steady /Hard) 5m in total.

Take care