Options

Watch choice

PeersPeers ✭✭✭
Hi All

I'm wanting to upgrade my very old Garmin Forerunner 305. I want something that does multisport and I can wear all day rather than just when I go for a run.

I ideally want to stay with Garmin because I have so much data on there already, but am open to looking at other suggestions.

The Fenix 5 would be ideal, but its far too pricey.  I therefore thought the Vivoactive 3 would be a good choice.  It looks like a watch that is just about stylish enough to wear all day and I like the features beyond running including counting and detecting reps in the gym (I know that can be hit and miss but nice to have) and Golf tracking.  However, it appears to have really mixed reviews.  Some people love it and other seem to really dislike it.  Has anybody got one or had one and have an opinion on it?

Thanks
Andrew

Comments

• Options
    Hi Peers. I know they are expensive but I find it hard to fault my Fenix 5X. Well except for the bezel being easy to scratch but you can get protectors now. I mainly use mine for running activity wise. However I do wear it all day.
  • Options
    Hi,
    I am looking at buying my first Garmin. Do they allow live tracking (So my wife can tell where I am on runs)? I have been using my phone for the last 3 years. Can I move Map My Run onto the Garmin?
    Thanks
  • Options
    PeersPeers ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    I went for the Vivoactive 3 in the end and even though I haven't had chance to test all the features yet, I think its brilliant.  Looks great in slate grey too!

Its not perfect by any means, but I haven't had the negative experiences some of the reviewers I have read have.  It will show you your texts, notifications and calendar alerts, but it will never compete with the likes of an Apple watch on that front.  However, as an activity tracker with lots of sports to choose from it is excellent.  I knew it would be good for running as Garmin always are, but the most remarkable is how it tracks reps in the gym and is able to detect what you are doing (i.e. bench press, bicep curl) from the movement.  It can make mistakes, but its right more often than not and you can edit later anyway.

bliss88 : I haven't tried setting it up myself, but Garmin does have something called Livetrack for this >>> http://www8.garmin.com/livetrack/  .  It says it works with compatible Edge or Forerunner devices, so I would check before you buy if this is important to you.

I know you can move your data from Garmin to MapMyRun.  No idea if you can move data from MapMyRun to Garmin.