Options

First-time trail marathon - any training advice?

MYOXMYOX ✭✭✭
TLDR: I've signed up to run the Snowdonia trail marathon in July, and I'd really like some training advice or tips. I've attached a plan that I've come up with and I hope some of you will take a look. I'm not sure whether it's realistic, over-optimistic, or wildly off-target.

Some background: I've been running on and off (mainly off) for a couple of years. I'm relatively fit (ran an 18:15 parkrun in Feb) but completely unfocused (have only run 60 miles this year so far). I tend to be prone to bursts of enthusiasm followed by literally months of inactivity. That said, I'm serious about this marathon and I want to train well enough to be able to push hard without killing myself. 

My training plan is purposely heavy on rest days and light on the miles, and builds quite slowly - I don't want to over-train, injure myself, or give myself any excuse not to follow it to the letter. I live in Sheffield, so most of the runs will be a relatively hilly mix of trail and road. I'm not sure about the specific sessions (especially hills), or about the pacing, or about the mileage - so nothing, really! For some context, the furthest I've ever run is 18 miles and the most I've ever run in a week is 35 miles or so. My average weekly volume when running consistently has been somewhere around 15-20 miles.

Because it's a trail marathon with some serious climb (over 5000ft) it's going be difficult to set time goals but I'd like to finish in under 5 hours and will push to be as quick as I can. The winner last year (a 2:37 marathoner) finished in around 3:50. I intend to run either a full or half marathon on the road later in the year, just because I'd like the chance to run against the clock.

Long, rather self-centred post, but any advice very much appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    Run as many easy miles as you can. Build volume gradually taking one or two rest days a week and only add in any sessions when you have a reasonable mileage base (say running 35 miles per week consistently). You need to build your endurance. Living in Sheffield and running hilly routes is good, run off road when you can too.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.