Options

Achilles Pain - alternative exercise

Hello. I have done too much too soon and have significant Achilles' tendon pain. I have stopped running and am doing the recommended heel drop exercises. However, I would like to maintain my cardio fitness and am seeking advice about what to do at the gym. I guess that cycling will be OK but I'm less certain about the elliptical trainers, the stairclimber and the rower. Any advice would be most welcome. Many thanks Claire

Comments

• Options
    Cycling seemed to work best for me, the elliptical didn't help. Just be careful not to load the tendon when cycling
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cycling and elliptical would be fine,rower is ok for me but I wouldn't use the stair climber.i am still running just slow and trying to keep as level as possible.
  • Options
    MacmadMacmad ✭✭
    I think the crosstrainer is definitely out the question, but I would suggest you seek professional medical advice, I hurt my achilles last year and carried on for a few weeks despite the pain and burning sensation, a scan revealed a small rupture and scar tissue, with a lump on my achilles so I had ART with Shockwave Therapy, after 6 sessions the pain and scar tissue had gone.
    worth getting checked out though, as I did not initially think my injury was too serious.