Options

Protein Powders

Before anyone say, eat a good diet and save your money I've tried but I am useless at getting enough protein so I tend to use whey powder to up my protein intake on the days I don't manage to get enough through my food (which is most days).

I used to be able to drink them no bother, didn't mind the taste (I just mix with milk) but the last few days I've been finding it really difficult to stomach so looking for some other things I can try.

Does anyone have any recipes or things I can do with my powder rather than just making shakes? Been looking online but I thought I would see if anyone had any tried and tested ideas on here.

I currently have a bag of strawberry powder so anything I can do with that would be great but I'm going to buy a few other flavours soon s any ideas would be fab (except I can't stand banana).

Comments

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I just dump mine in my oats and top with fruit of some kind. Simples.
    As for flavours, I get mine (Impact Whey) from My Protein and they have a staggering range of flavours to try. Some are awesome and some are less so, but importantly, they sell sample sachets so you can try before buying a big bag. My favourites are rhubarb and custard and blueberry cheesecake.
  • Options
    It's very difficult not to get enough protein through your usual diet assuming you are actually eating. Have a look at Anita Bean's books - The Vegetarian Athlete and The Runner's Cookbook - cheaper, tastier and healthier.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options
    > @Little M.iss Happy said:
    > It's very difficult not to get enough protein through your usual diet assuming you are actually eating. Have a look at Anita Bean's books - The Vegetarian Athlete and The Runner's Cookbook - cheaper, tastier and healthier.

I've been tracking what I'm eating to try to up my protein intake. I'm fairly fussy with things though so that probably plays into it. Though in the last year or so I've extended what food I actually eat and in the last couple of months I've managed to up my protein intake somewhat. I'm still working on it but I dunno...I'm just no good which is why I'm using powder for just now.
  • Options
    ianbianb ✭✭
    Using powder is reasonable if at the right times, especially if getting a bit older as the body processes protein less efficiently. I have a granola breakfast with oatly milk and a little extra protein powder and frozen blueberries after my morning runs. It's bliss :).
  • Options
    Same as others have said, I just add a touch into my breakfast granola or porridge. Only really ever have a shake after a long run 
  • Options
    Sub17ParkRunSub17ParkRun ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Protein powders are a scam pushed by steroid pumped body builders and clever marketing. A long list of chemicals, sugar and fat added to bulk up protein powders make them a low quality source of protein. We are better off eating real food instead of protein powders. I now drink more milk and eat more eggs and fish instead or protein powders. I have tried a few protein powders and they were all terrible tasting and expensive.
  • Options
    You are always better off with real food, that much is obvious. I disagree with a lot of the rest though, I personally think a lot of work has gone into a lot of the brands, and whilst some can be expensive there are always deals to be had. I think they have a place stil
  • Options
    How do people feel about using soya milk? Or almond milk?
  • Options
    They are OK if you are short time or genuinely struggle to get enough protein. What is your lifestyle like (job, availability of somewhere to cook etc.)? My wife and I follow a plant-based diet, a typical workday menu looks like the below and that's plenty of protein:

Oats, soya yoghurt, raisins and seeds/nuts (prep night before)

Wholemeal pita, hummus, bean soup, fruit (microwave at work)

Stir fry vegetables with tofu, brown rice or noodles (<15 minutes end to end)
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    peteryeung - I would say watch the soya. It contains phytoestrogens - not really ideal for guys and not all that ideal for some women either. There are plenty of other plant-based milk and yogurt alternatives (coconut, almond etc) and while they are lower in protein, they taste better (IMHO).
    twoplustwo - I'm not vegan or vegetarian although but I do eat quite a few plant-based meals. What I discovered recently, due to a shingles outbreak, is that any herpes virus (including chickenpox/shingles) loves arginine, and that amino acid is high in foods like beans and nuts. Lysine inhibits the virus and lysine is higher in animal-based foods, so anyone prone to cold sores or shingles who eats a plant-based diet should supplement with lysine.
  • Options
    :) :) :)
    My husband and I have a balanced diet