Options

Wednesday, 18 April 2018 - in a church, by the face

Morning

Today's lyrics: in a church, by the face
He talks about people going under

Another lovely morning but I guess 3 MLRs in a row might be calling for trouble so I'll guess I'll end up doing 6 miles.

Comments

• Options
    Morning.

Yesterday's lyrics - Nelly The Elephant by Toy Dolls.

It's hard not to bank miles whilst the sun shines chicksta, well done for being sensible.

We are forecast a high of 21C today which is going to be a shock to the system, it was positively chilly yesterday though not as bad as Oh's weather. Not that I'll get to see much of it as typically I have a long day at work shut in a windowless room:-(

What:           short and easy
    Why:            recovery/work
    Last hard:    seeing the forecast for today
    Last rest:     13/4

Lyrics - no.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Morning!

Lyrics: no

re yesterday's, whilst I think The Toy Dolls' version was great, I remember the original by Mandy Miller better. More importantly I want to know why you chose it!

What: probably some walking; possibly fitness suite

Why: work will get in the way this morning then got workmen round this pm. Plus I desperately need to do some gardening, back permitting. Wonder whether we will get the promised temperatures.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    Radio said Sunday will be hotter than Greece. Oh my...

What: Nice steady run of some descript down our North Bay mid morning
    Why: Nothing too harsh get ready for running in warmth
    Lyrics: Nope

I too have also had curiosity sparked as to why Nellie the Elephant was chosen. Safari-so-goody.

• Options
    DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭
    Good morning!
    Club session last night but it wasn’t a good one for me - it was 1.5 mile reps and even though I can see the benefit of an easy session at a reduced pace, I wasn’t feeling the love for it so ended up just doing 1 rep (9 mins) to get the legs moving and then did a longer warm down.  Good warm up of 4.6miles meant it was still a worthwhile evening out.  Will just do 7 miles easy today I think.

I have blood tests to go for today to check my bilirubins and white blood count so am hoping all is okay after some recent raised and lower levels respectively.  

Its forecast for 18 degrees here today which would be remarkable.  We were all talking last night about how hot it might be for the London marathon on Sunday. Thankfully it looks cold again for Stirling on the 29th.

Lyrics, not a clue! 
  • Options
    Nelly The Elephant because I feel like one with all I've been eating since the marathon!

Benjy - do you have a white cap to wear on Sunday? Stay hydrated Friday and Saturday (sipping little and often) and on the day as well as sipping water to thirst make sure you pour some over your head and the back of your neck.

Donaldo - hope the blood tests come back ok.

Alehouse - a grey start here but it's brightening up now.
  • Options
    chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Ended up doing 7 miles B)

Benjy: it's all relative. If there's 10 degrees in Greece and 11 in London it would be hotter ;) I do understand your concerns though. I'll be facing a hot one in Vienna. Albeit only half the distance. Not sure they still do bottled water at VLM but when I ran it the second half was very hot so I would grab a bottle and pour water not only over head and neck but also my wrists and top of thighs. Worked quite well.

Donaldo: Hope the bloods are ok
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Morning again! 

Currently grey and drizzly here.

As Chick mentioned, water on the thighs: an often ignored area...and also wet areas before they are hot!

LMH: as I thought re lyrics!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    Lovely day here. 5k easy loop of Scapa before helping daughter decorate room.
    Final final dress rehearsal for parkrun this evening after minor but significant course change ( go live on Saturday). Finding out if anyone is free for swimming ...
    while the sun shines ...
    lyrics not a scoobie

Even sweating  on "easy" with just shorts and t-shirt here!

• Options
    DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Hiya
    Great to see you again Pammie, stick around if you can and enjoy those nostalgic runs!
    Looks like it's going to be a bit warmer than I thought come Sunday, but you can't do anything about the weather, besides it won't be baking hot (will it?)
    What - Expo lunchtime, coaching tonight with some easy 600s for me
    Why - No turning back / routine
    last rest - Monday
    last hard - keeping a lid on things

6 miles yesterday with 2 at target MP (7.18/7.22) the rest were 9.xx
    lyric - think so , yes
  • Options
    DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭
    Lovely easy run completed, 7.2 miles, much better pace for a taper, around 7:45 or so.  Shorts and t-shirt only although it’s still really cloudy and dark.  Hoping the sun breaks through at some point.  

Re: water.  I’ve recently been told that pouring water on the hamstrings can help avoid the dreaded cramp in the last few miles of a marathon.  Any thoughts? 
  • Options
    Hope you found a swimming companion OH.

No, it won't be 'that' hot Dustin - you'll be fine.

I don't see why it should Donaldo - what's the thinking behind it?
  • Options
    DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭
    No idea, I just tend to nod quietly when people tell me things and I am sceptical.  Just thought I'd ask in case this is one of those secret cures!! 
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Afternoon!

Sun came out at 1:20. Now very cloudy again!

I would have thought it difficult to get water onto the hamstrings when running! Just pretended to try it when walking: not easy! As Chick said, the two key areas seem to be the back of the neck/shoulders and the thighs. 

OH: are you involved in the organisation of the new venture? Will look forward to hearing about it after Saturday's launch! Not an easy one to get to!

What: a couple of miles briskly walked. Gardening shortly. Then perhaps another walk or the fitness suite.
  • Options
    Afternoon

I hurt my neck and shoulder in bed so not unable to run!! Only I could do that.

That glowing ball in the sky is out for a few hours.
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Not directly involved but know everyone who have been trying to set it up.
  • Options
    PS our sunny day has now clouded over.  :(
  • Options
    WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    afternoon all
    lyrics no
    sensible head chick
    donaldo, mm not sure about that hamstring thing interesting! Hope blood tests ok
    Dustin the thing about our weather is anything can happen, guy at work is running bless him - he's getting a bit worried
    nice on OH Is that a new park run?  I guess so
    LMH blimey I am getting a bit nellie the elephant!!

what: 4 miles, 20 press ups some squats and tai chi!!
    why: to be less nellie the elephant
    last hard: this morning
    last rest: 31/12/16

have a good day all
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Options
    Don't like the new course, imposed on us by parkrun (to avoid section of pavement) - now has five 180° turns each on a narrow footpath.
  • Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    oops - an unplanned double run, 5k tempo hard (21:16) got home to find no keys....... so back to retrace steps at a slower pace.... still no keys, good job Mrs RFJ was home.

Made up for it by have a curry....:-)

Hope all are well
  • Options

LMH: Good tip, I may take a hat then ditch it last minute if it doesn’t agree with me. I’m guessing discarded clothing goes to charity.

Chiksta: I know you what you mean it being relative, it’s just going from Arctic to Ethiopa in 48 hours gives me something to moan about, and the British weather is the one and alone thing to moan about. I think the decision for me though has been made, nice and steady for VLM, enjoy it, then then do York Mara again with intention of getting a better time.

Dustin: Hope the Expo was good.

Welshpoppy: Hope neck and shoulder ok today.

Tried to post also this morning, thought I can’t surely be first, chose song then got error no permissions garden community (!?). Felt great because I could put lyrics Yes.

Yesterday here was a very hot 23C 10 mile, no breeze of anything worthwhile from the sea. Funny how May to October regular long runs in hot humid weather, but the sudden change is something different. Just looked at Accuweather for London, predicting possible thunderstorms, that would actually be fun.

What: A fairly nippy 6 late morning, then that’s it until Sunday
    Why: Looked at what I did for York Marathon and it follows same for the Thursday beforehand
    Lyrics: Hurumph!