Options

Training zones for the marathon

Hello runners!

I am new here, so apologies if this question has already been answered recently (I used the search but couldn't find quite what I was after!)

Background: I hope to run my debut marathon in 20 weeks. I've recently run a 1:23:20 half and a 17:56 5k. Current mileage is ~100km/week.

I'm currently writing my marathon training schedule. I've split the training into 5 'zones' or thresholds that I think are important to cover in the coming 20 weeks, described below:

- Easy/recovery running: the majority of mileage falls into this category, 70-80% of max HR, at least 50s/km slower than marathon pace.
- Goal: active recovery from workouts and building aerobic base. Keeping the pace easy to avoid adding fatigue.

- Power/economy: Hill repeats, strides, short intervals at near max effort with full recovery.
- Goal: improve running stride economy and power. Avoid adding fatigue caused by anaerobic activity by keeping efforts short and recovering fully.

- VO2 max: medium length intervals (600m-2km) at 3k-10k pace with short (less than half interval duration) recovery.
- Goal: improve VO2 max by sustaining pace as oxygen debt occurs.

- Lactate threshold (tempo): short intervals with float recoveries (lactate dynamics training), long intervals (3-6k) or sustained efforts (30-60mins) at around half marathon pace. Longer 3+ minute recovery between long intervals/interval+float sets.
- Goal: increase the speed and duration you can run before lactic acid accumulates faster than it can be used. Improve your ability to transport waste from cells to the bloodstream.

- Aerobic threshold/steady running: marathon pace (or a bit slower?) sustained for 60-80mins, or as last half of a long run.
- Goal: improve ability to use fat as primary fuel source at marathon pace.

My questions for you fine folk:
1. Do the above categories cover all the thresholds I should be hitting in training, or have I missed or mislabeled some?
2. Are my descriptions above correct? There are many different terms for these training zones, some, particularly aerobic threshold are confusing to pin down.
3. With 20 weeks (including taper) how would you periodize the schedule? Would you touch on all of the training zones evenly throughout the 20 weeks, or work on some things more than others as the training progresses?
4. What are the relative importance of each training zone? Some say doing as much mileage at close to marathon pace is important, others say the lactate threshold tempo is critical for marathon success, others say doing big mileage at a very easy pace with a few hard speed workouts is the way to go.

Thanks very much for reading, any advice would be very helpful! :smile: