Options

Custom Orthotics

Hi guys,

For the past year I've had many problems with my flat feet (pes planus), in that I have bad heel, calf and knee pain.

I remember doing cross country races as a teenager and finishing with searing heel pain, so bad it was difficult to walk afterwards. However, I always recovered.

Now I'm in my early twenties and the pain has got so bad that it's difficult to stand for longer than 10-15 minutes, let alone run. I've had x rays on my knees, hip and back as well as countless blood tests to rule out arthritis, but they've all come up normal.

I recently saw a podiatrist and now have custom made orthotic insoles. They really help with my gait and I've found that the knee and calf pain has been getting better, coupled with physio help because my glutes/hamstrings are very tight too, and that has been part of the problem.

However, the heel pain still exists. I know the orthotic insoles are quite hard as they are. I'm seeing the podiatrist again on Monday so hopefully will get this sorted out. Do they just take a while to get used to?

It's been a problem that's really affected my everyday life for the past year and especially the sports that I love, as its really painful to even walk short distances.

I wondered if anyone else had experienced these symptoms or if they had encountered any issues with custom insoles.

Thanks,

Stevie.