Options

Best London Area/Borough for running

Later this year I am planning a move to a new flat and possibly a new area in London, with the hope to reduce my work commute time.
I have been living in Kilburn (NW2) that is not a too bad area for running, I have the Paddingdton Recreation Ground athletics track not far, some roads with no traffic where I can run without concerns. And finally several parks where I can go for my longer runs, such as Gladstone, Regent's Park, Hampstead Heath and not too far Hyde Park.
So, I was looking for an area in London that is possibly runners friendly with some parks where I can run, some athletics tracks available to access and not too much traffic, with ideally not more 20 minutes commute to King's Cross.
So, what area do you suggest? Or do you enjoy your area for running?

Comments

• Options
    HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Personally I think the only better place still within 20 min of Kings Cross is over closer to Hampstead Heath, but then you'd have to pay if you want to use the Parliament Hill track, as opposed to the free one at Paddington. 
  • Options
    I live in Balham, so I have lovely Tooting Bec a 5 minute jog up the road (nice common for running, with track, lido and parkrun); Clapham Common 1 mile away (parkrun and quite a few 5/10K races), Wandsworth Common 1 mile away, Streatham Common (hilly bastard, good for hill/cross country training) 2 miles away, Brockwell Park (another hilly bastard but paved and not as evil as Streatham - I use it for marathon training - also has a lido and a parkrun) 3 miles away, plus I can easily get to Battersea Park (lots of races, plus a track) and Wimbledon Common on longer runs.
    There are quite a few running clubs in the area: my club, Clapham Chasers, plus Clapham Pioneers and Herne Hill Harriers, if you want to take advantage of training with them or just for the camaraderie and £2 race discount.
    Balham, Tooting Bec and Clapham are all on the Northern Line so it's a straight shoot to King's Cross.
  • Options
    > @HA77 said:
    > Personally I think the only better place still within 20 min of Kings Cross is over closer to Hampstead Heath, but then you'd have to pay if you want to use the Parliament Hill track, as opposed to the free one at Paddington. 

Yes I was thinking Hampstead too, the downside is that properties tends to be expensive but definitely a good area were to live. Another small downside, if we want to be picky, is that it's hard to find a flat course, while in the rest of London you have exactly the opposite problem.
  • Options
    > @Cal Jones said:
    > I live in Balham, so I have lovely Tooting Bec a 5 minute jog up the road (nice common for running, with track, lido and parkrun); Clapham Common 1 mile away (parkrun and quite a few 5/10K races), Wandsworth Common 1 mile away, Streatham Common (hilly bastard, good for hill/cross country training) 2 miles away, Brockwell Park (another hilly bastard but paved and not as evil as Streatham - I use it for marathon training - also has a lido and a parkrun) 3 miles away, plus I can easily get to Battersea Park (lots of races, plus a track) and Wimbledon Common on longer runs.
    >
    > There are quite a few running clubs in the area: my club, Clapham Chasers, plus Clapham Pioneers and Herne Hill Harriers, if you want to take advantage of training with them or just for the camaraderie and £2 race discount.
    >
    >
    > Balham, Tooting Bec and Clapham are all on the Northern Line so it's a straight shoot to King's Cross.

Yes, from Balham is a good place for those who commute to King's Cross.

I've been once in Tooting (Broadway if I remember right) and I didn't have a good feeling.
    I don't know the South having been living in North West since I moved in London.
    Few years ago when I was playing football I played few times in Clapham Common and I found it cool.
    Are the parks that you mentioned open 24/7 with lights (especially in the winter)?
  • Options
    Daniele, Tooting is a bit more rough and ready than Balham and Clapham, though Tooting Bec is nicer, being right by the common. Balham was rather colourful when I moved here 25 years ago - the road where I live was a notorious hang our for prostitutes. But now it's all coffee shops, estate agents and bijou boutiques. Consequently it's not a cheap area any more.

South West London as a whole is very green, though. The gated parks have opening times (much to my chagrin when I arrived at Brockwell Park at 6.30am on one run and found it wasn't open for another hour) but the commons are all open 24/7. The main paths are lit but the trail paths won't be, so if you're planning on running before dawn/after dark then you'd need a head torch if you want to deviate away from the main paths. Of course, if you join a club and run with them in the evening you won't have to worry about safety. Personally I've never had any issues running on my own.
  • Options
    I'm ending up in Archway. 
    And noticed that it isn't much flat.
    Plenty of parks in a 2 mile radius, Hampstead Heath, Finsbury, Highgate wood...
    But it's not flat at all and still have to figure out which park routes I can do overnight or very early mornings in Winter.
  • Options
    You'll get fit running up those hills!