Paris Marathon 2019

Comments

• phronesis said:

You go to your timeto personal page. Click on the little green person icon on the upper right side. Click on MENU. Then MY EVENTS. Then you should see an upload documents section on the left. You can upload your certificate there. But it has to be under 1MB to be accepted otherwise you get a message saying there is a problem.
  • phronesis said:
    > @K83nd0n said:
    > On a practical note has everyone checked their passport meets requirements that may be in place in event of No Deal? 6 months validity and if you renewed early, anything over 10 years may not count (i.e. was your passport issued less than 9.5 years ago?)

Here is gov uk page on which you check if you are okay. https://www.passport.service.gov.uk/check-a-passport
    Just checked – I do need one. Thanks for that. I had no idea. 
  • Hi everyone. Is anybody thinking of allowing their marathon to be tracked by family, friends etc. Or did you do it in the past? How does it work? 
  • I've done it before. In previous years you could have it post to your Facebook page, or be tracked via the official app. It has ben known to be a bit flaky for some. I remember one person being in the pub celebrating at 7pm that evening, but the tracker still had them out on the course! Hopefully it's improved over the years,

• > @Eggyh73 said:
    > I've done it before. In previous years you could have it post to your Facebook page, or be tracked via the official app. It has ben known to be a bit flaky for some. I remember one person being in the pub celebrating at 7pm that evening, but the tracker still had them out on the course! Hopefully it's improved over the years,

Thanks Eggyh73. Will give it a try. Not sure how my friends and family actually get it on to their phones though.
  • They should be able to download the official app through the app stores for iOS/Android. After that if I recall correctly they just enter the bib number for any runner they wish to track.
  • > @Eggyh73 said:
    > They should be able to download the official app through the app stores for iOS/Android. After that if I recall correctly they just enter the bib number for any runner they wish to track.

Thanks E.
  • Useful bit of info re: Eurostar and the days immediately post Brexit. I may not need to row there afterall! https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-47215904
  • Medical certificate question.... 

I've got my signed document and uploaded it. It says 'pending' but that's not clear – has it not uploaded or are they just saying they will look at it before approving it? Thanks!
  • Rammpants said:
    Medical certificate question.... 

I've got my signed document and uploaded it. It says 'pending' but that's not clear – has it not uploaded or are they just saying they will look at it before approving it? Thanks!
    Having been through the process a couple of days ahead of you, it seems that 'Pending' means that it's in the queue to be looked at and that when they're happy, it changes to 'Approved'. Took about 3 days for mine.
  • Rammpants said:
    Medical certificate question.... 

Having been through the process a couple of days ahead of you, it seems that 'Pending' means that it's in the queue to be looked at and that when they're happy, it changes to 'Approved'. Took about 3 days for mine.
    Thanks – yes, it's actually already approved now, that's quick. 
  • > @Dom Norrish said:
    > Useful bit of info re: Eurostar and the days immediately post Brexit. I may not need to row there afterall! https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-47215904

I received an email today to say the train I was booked on had been cancelled and I had to rebook onto another train. Maybe they are reducing capacity in preparation?
  • K83nd0n said:
    > @Dom Norrish said:
    > Useful bit of info re: Eurostar and the days immediately post Brexit. I may not need to row there afterall! https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-47215904

I received an email today to say the train I was booked on had been cancelled and I had to rebook onto another train. Maybe they are reducing capacity in preparation?
    Me too!! They claimed it was to do with maintenance of trains. I booked onto the one immediately before, in case it sold out
  • Hello all,

My wife and I signed up for this race as part of our 10 year anniversary trip to London and Paris.

We already have everything booked and planned, but just found out we have to pick up the packet at the expo. since our train does not arrive until 6:45 pm, we will not be able to make the Expo.

I have emailed the event staff and they said a 3rd party can pick up our bib for us, but as we do not know anyone running, we cant give a copy of our ID to a stranger.

Has anyone come across an issue like this in past years?

Thank you all.

Sincerely,
    Kevin Karl
  • kwkarl said:
    Hello all,

My wife and I signed up for this race as part of our 10 year anniversary trip to London and Paris.

We already have everything booked and planned, but just found out we have to pick up the packet at the expo. since our train does not arrive until 6:45 pm, we will not be able to make the Expo.

I have emailed the event staff and they said a 3rd party can pick up our bib for us, but as we do not know anyone running, we cant give a copy of our ID to a stranger.

Has anyone come across an issue like this in past years?

Thank you all.

Sincerely,
    Kevin Karl
    What do the organisers say about the ID that's acceptable? Clearly you'll need to keep hold of your passport to travel, but if something else will substitute (driving licence, etc) then someone from here could collect for you. The likelihood of fraudsters who hang out for months on a running forum in the hopes of stealing someone's identity via an Expo scam is probably quite low... I'd be happy to help.
  • You can arrange for someone else to pick up your bib for you, but you need to arm them in advance with a copy of your convocation (confirmation letter) which you'll get a few weeks in advance, medical certificate (you can do that online now), copy of passport and a letter of authorisation.
  • Looking forward to running Paris. Ran last year to test the waters after nursing my Achilles which got busted trying to qualify for an Ultra Marathon. I got as far as km17. Achilles past the test though. Yippee!!! Training is going well and I should be ready come April 14. What times are you aiming for?
  • > @Eggyh73 said:
    > You can arrange for someone else to pick up your bib for you, but you
    > need to arm them in advance with a copy of your convocation
    > (confirmation letter) which you'll get a few weeks in advance, medical
    > certificate (you can do that online now), copy of passport and a letter of authorisation.

The problem is we dont know anyone else running.
  • I won’t be in Paris this year, as I’m running Vienna instead. You’re best chance will be to see if anyone on the forum can help you out (such as Dom). Either that or look into your options for getting into Paris earlier that day.

It’s also worth noting that the Expo is a good 30/45 minute trip from the city centre and it’ll be busy on the Saturday.
  • > @Eggyh73 said:
    > I won’t be in Paris this year, as I’m running Vienna instead. You’re best chance will be to see if anyone on the forum can help you out (such as Dom). Either that or look into your options for getting into Paris earlier that day.
    >
    > It’s also worth noting that the Expo is a good 30/45 minute trip from the city centre and it’ll be busy on the Saturday.

Thank you.

Dom wont be in Paris for this run, and i think we are looking at 80 Euro to change train times, but it might be our only choice.

Is there anyone else in this forum that will be attending the Paris Half on March 9?
  • Slightly concerning news this morning: for the first time there is a Gilets Jaunes protest on a Sunday starting at 13.00 (French time) on the Champs Élysée. On the plus side we’ll all have passed there a couple of hours ahead of 13.00h. 
  • phronesis said:
    Slightly concerning news this morning: for the first time there is a Gilets Jaunes protest on a Sunday starting at 13.00 (French time) on the Champs Élysée. On the plus side we’ll all have passed there a couple of hours ahead of 13.00h. 
    ...and will be finishing a couple of hundred meters away on the other side of Etoille... 

Some forethought advised for your return route once you've finished - probably best to avoid Line 1?
  • <blockquote class="Quote">
    <div class="QuoteAuthor"><a href="/profile/Dom%20Norrish">Dom Norrish</a> said:</div>
    <div class="QuoteText"><blockquote class="Quote">
    <div class="QuoteAuthor"><a href="/profile/phronesis">phronesis</a> said:</div>
    <div class="QuoteText">Slightly concerning news this morning: for the first time there is a Gilets Jaunes protest on a Sunday starting at 13.00 (French time) on the Champs Élysée. On the plus side we’ll all have passed there a couple of hours ahead of 13.00h. </div>
    </blockquote>
    ...and will be finishing a couple of hundred meters away on the other side of Etoille... 

Some forethought advised for your return route once you've finished - probably best to avoid Line 1?</div>
    </blockquote>
    I’ll going to get a bus to Gare Montparnasse and then a train to La Rochelle. 
  • StephAStephA ✭✭✭
    I was interested to read yesterday that the Paris 2024 Olympic organisers have announced that the public will be able to run the Olympic marathon route on the same day as the athletes - not directly related to the usual Paris marathon but I thought it might be interesting for some of us!
  • Off to Japan for Part 1 of my Spring marathon challenge. Still injured & haven't run since. My new target is to start. If I make that, my target will become to finish without ruling myself out of Paris. I've foolishly (with hindsight!) put myself on the hook financially too: https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/dominic-norrish
  • Dom - Best of luck! Hope that you’re healthy enough to make the start and finish line in Tokyo.
  • FRG2FRG2 ✭✭✭
    Good luck, Dom!
  • What time are you likely to run the marathon in? . Think I'm unlikely to do it under 4 hours after looking at a couple of the links - but one indicated I could.https://www.strava.com/clubs/495341/posts/4474474
  • I use the Jack Daniels calculator to work out my training paces and they always feel pretty spot on for me in terms of the right level of effort for different workouts.

The race equivalent times are also pretty accurate, I ran a10K in January which was only 30 seconds off what the calculator had me at based on a half time from a few months prior.

The fetch everyone calculator in that article seems a bit out, it has me down for a 4hr marathon based on my last half time (1hr 45). I ran a 3hr 52 marathon last year which was my first and I'm definitely a lot fitter and in better running shape than I was then. I'm aiming for 3hr 40 - 3 hr 45 in Paris.