Options

Running after losing meniscus

xink1982xink1982 ✭✭✭
edited October 2018 in Health + Injury
Hi Guys
I posted here a few months ago...
Long Story but basically after tearing my ACL aged 21 and after 5 Knee Operations and several years with my running club, I was forced to stop running aged 36 at the turn of the year as my knee simply couldn't handle pounding the concrete anymore.

Well a few months ago I've managed to modify my running style so that my "good" leg takes 80 per cent of the impact and my injured leg takes only 20 per cent or so... obviously I cannot push off on my injured leg and consequently I've slowed from being a 39 Minute 10k Runner to someone who is probably goanna take 50-55 Minutes to run the same distance.

I'm pain free running, but for a few days after my run my knee is a bit swollen( sitting all day at a desk doesn't help matters) so I'm trying to be sensible and generally can only do a 5 to 7 k run once a week at the weekend.

I've no chance of returning to running competitively or indeed of training again with my club... but the feeling I got from being able to do a 7k run by the Angel of the North where I live last weekend was immense.
Hopefully this can inspire someone else if they are in a similar situation - Even if you only have one fully functioning leg - you can perhaps do something

MK

Comments

• Options
    > @xink1982 said:
    > Hi Guys
    > I posted here a few months ago...
    > Long Story but basically after tearing my ACL aged 21 and after 5 Knee Operations and several years with my running club, I was forced to stop running aged 36 at the turn of the year as my knee simply couldn't handle pounding the concrete anymore.
    >
    > Well a few months ago I've managed to modify my running style so that my "good" leg takes 80 per cent of the impact and my injured leg takes only 20 per cent or so... obviously I cannot push off on my injured leg and consequently I've slowed from being a 39 Minute 10k Runner to someone who is probably goanna take 50-55 Minutes to run the same distance.
    >
    > I'm pain free running, but for a few days after my run my knee is a bit swollen( sitting all day at a desk doesn't help matters) so I'm trying to be sensible and generally can only do a 5 to 7 k run once a week at the weekend.
    >
    > I've no chance of returning to running competitively or indeed of training again with my club... but the feeling I got from being able to do a 7k run by the Angel of the North where I live last weekend was immense.
    > Hopefully this can inspire someone else if they are in a similar situation - Even if you only have one fully functioning leg - you can perhaps do something
    >
    > MK

I had most of my lateral meniscus removed from my right knee 12 years ago. I recently took up running and running is fine, but after I can get a dull ache in my knee, is that the sensation you feel? I am not tender any where but it just aches.

I just had an MRI and these were the results

“There is a small focus of susceptibility metallic artifact in the anterior distal femur, superior and femoral condyles centrally, slightly towards the medial aspect. Scarring in Hoffas fat related to prior arthroscopicy. The lateral meniscus is markedly diminutive in the anterior and posterior horns and is absent through the body. There is a horizontal tear in the anterior horn meniscal remnant and blunting/irregularity of the posterior horn meniscal remnant. The medial meniscus remains intact.

Cartilage thinning and irregularity in the lateral tibial/femoral compartment more so over the femoral condyle. Cartilage in the medial femoral/tibial is maintained.

Small joint effusion, very small bakers cyst and small amount of fluid or cysistic change extending proximally, posterior to the medial gastrocnemius.

1. Prior arthroscopy with Scaring In Hoffa’s fat
    2. Previous lateral menisectomy with absent medial tissue through the body and markedly diminutive anterior and prosthetist horns.
    3. Degenerative changes with moderate chondrosis in the lateral tibial/femoral compartment.
    4. Small joint effusion. Small bakers cyst. “