Today's lyrics: You saw the sign on a pick up truck

What: gym
Why: cold and I'm coughing up gunk
Last hard: a chest infection out of the blue
Last rest: 9/11

Comments

• Options
    Morning.

Sorry to hear you have a chest infection chicksta. My sore throat is just a persistent annoyance, worse some days/times of the day than others it just won't quite clear.

How did you do at the pub quiz emzap?

Wabo I'd really struggle to run two miles at MP - 30/secs -as you know no speedwork here just lots of easy miles.

Have you decide what the base is for yet Gobi?

I hope you can manage the knee Donaldo.

How is your ITB now Dustin?

What:         short and easy or MLR
    Why:          it makes me feel better
    Last hard:  getting a balance
    Last rest:   14/10

Lyrics - familiar but I can't name that tune.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options
    Morning!

Get well, Chick!

Yesterday's lyrics were "The Israelites", Desmond Dekker and The Aces

Lyrics: no

What: short run and perhaps fitness suite

Why: being careful and not rushing things. 
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    morning all
    chicksta sorry to hear about the chest infection, no consolation at all I am sure but I have a raging toothache :-(
    LMH, tbh I think as long as I am upping what I do I will be happy.  Have a good MLR
    Alehouse have a good run!

what: a couple later
    why: race tomorrow, pain in mouth allowing 
    last hard: yesterday 
    last rest: 31/12/16

have a great weekend all
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Options
    WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    thanks to Gobi and alehouse for great advice.  All makes sense now.  I am keeping an eye on the heart rate as it goes.

• Options
    WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    thanks everyone else too, great advice to be had here even though I have been running donkeys years!
  • Options
    WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    lyrics dont think so

• Options
    DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Morning all
    Chick - my sympathies, had the same and it's been dragging on all week...
    Wabo - echo the comments. You need a solid base which you can build up before year end. I agree with Gobi in that your 5k time is a bit 'soft' relative to Half & target mara but then how much speedwork would you normally do?
    For marathons, as Ale says, the LSR & MLR are perhaps more relevant than pure speedwork, that said tempo runs at LT pace I have found invaluable along with some VO2 work in later weeks (800-2k reps) - based in part around P&D schedules.
    I'll be watching your progress with interest!

What - steady lunchtime
    Why - staying sane, work driving me nuts at the moment (internal politics, I keep telling myself '5 more years')
    last rest - Saturday, although yesterday was barely 3k 
    last hard - Tuesday

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Sucks chicksta

I never understand this no speed when distance training. I ran a 16.16 5km PB the week before my 100km race where I also got a pb. 

Speed work matters as part of distance training.

I do very little running speedwork yet have run 17.xx for 5km this year at 48 off limited miles.

I can still run 2 miles at my marathon PB pace :-) (Not much more mind you)

A plan needs variety but also needs reality hence effort rather than pace is often key , the speed comes later.

LMH - no not really. :-)

What : 5 easy Miles d&d ?? Pm
    Why: easy Friday
    Last hard: Tuesday ish
    Last rest: 31st Oct
    Lyrics: familiar for sure

• Options
    WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    off to dentist, 11 appt. Cant take the
     pain!!
  • Options
    I guess we're all different Gobi as it seems to be working well for me.

You have my sympathy Wabo. Hope the dentist can sort it.

My work is much the same I'm afraid Dustin, if they'd just leave me alone to get on with my job I'd enjoy it but all the politics and pointless paperwork cause unnecessary stress.

Keep being careful Alehouse - what you're doing seems to be working.
  • Options
    DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Re marathons
    I didn't say no speed when distance training, just that the distance runs are perhaps more relevant. 
    I used to run fast 10ks and HalfMs during marathon training - a result of enhanced endurance coupled with some speed work.
    The flip side is that all my 1500-5k fast times have come when training specifically for short distances, not running long. Your 16.16 5k is undoubtedly quick, but I suppose the other way to look at it is what would it have been if you had trained exclusively for 5k, not a 100km?
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Dustin - I was coaching sprints and middle distance and never ran a tapered anything so no doubt I could have gone faster with focus on the 5km.

I often prepped with the kids so I did run a 2.12 800,  a 4.58 mile and split 15.57 for the last 5km in a 10k. 

I just think even once every few weeks some real hard speedwork is a blessing that many marathon runners miss out on. Always felt my running technique was sharper after a set of 200s (just helped me stay fluid)

Even now largely free of speedwork I try to do a little bit even if it is the first and last 30 seconds of a parkrun.
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Ps. I wasn't digging at anyone so if I have upset anyone I am sorry.
  • Options
    Thanks for the kind words, all. It came out of the blue with no typical sore throat/runny nose warning signs. But I feel absolutely fine otherwise and hope it's just very low-level. Have to be very careful due to asthma hence avoiding today's cold air in favour of the cosy gym.

On the speed work issue: As we age we become more fragile and at least for me upping mileage means no fast stuff or else I get injured. Right now I do enjoy a bit of hard work on the P&L plan but I had to ditch the long runs.

Wabo: Poor you. Hope it wasn't too painful. I have a dentist appointment coming up in 10 days and I'm dreading it.

LMH/Dustin: Work politics can be so draining. I've applied for part-time as of January 1 (4 day week). Hope it goes through. Wish me luck.

• Options
    Lots and lots of it chicksta! When will you hear?

None taken here Gobi, everyone is allowed an opinion. I admit I could probably be faster if I did speed work but experience tells me that I will be able to run a lot less miles if I do it as I'll end up with time out injured. Consistent easy miles are still bringing me results currently though with increasing age there may well be a time when that changes and I have to find a different approach. I don't race often and I don't do any structured or formal speed work but I do often try a fast last mile and occasionally some faster running within my easy runs (maybe one minute on/one minute off or just the odd faster mile).

Are you officially unbenched now Dustin or still managing it a bit?
  • Options
    Evening!

Hope the 4 day week happens, Chick!

And certainly interested in your views, Gobi! I am very much in favour of quicker paced running in marathon training...but with several cautionary notes. Age is a major factor, as both Chick  and LMH  have indicated. The training of a 20/30/40 and even 50 year old has to be different to that of a 60 year old, I feel, especially if that athlete isn't used to running faster. Injury avoidance, especially as we age, is one important key, in addition to the consistent and progressive consistency. In Wabo's case (and hope the teeth are sorted!) I think parkrun, cross country races and fartlek change of pace work within shorter runs may be appropriate. 

I think we all agree that a consistent approach to the LSR/MLR is the main element. I tend to work to time, rather than distance, and off-road where possible, with the MLR being two-thirds to three-quarters of the long. If the present long run is 80 minutes the MLR would be 55 to 60 and then it is gradually built with cut back weeks pencilled in.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.