Options

Sciatica - what is it and is it ok to run?

2»

Comments

• Options
    TTTT ✭✭✭
    The labrum is the part of your hip which holds the ball of your hip into the hip socket! It can tear and then extra bone can grow on the hip. It can cause pain in the back, hip, side of leg, glutes, and can be a dull ache or a stabbing pain! 
  • Options
    <p>Sciatics is compression of the sciatic nerve. This can be caused either by a herniated disc pressing on the nerve (you get constant pain and tingling with this) or by tight piriformis muscle in the pelvis, or tight gluteal muscles or tight lower back muscles pressing on the nerve. </p><p>With sciatica caused by muscle tension you will get sharp sudden pain when the tight muscle is activated (ie, on standing up from seated, on turning over in bed etc). Muscle tension and related pain can be effectively reduced by targetted and regular massage (2-3 massages at least over 2-3 weeks) plus twice daily application of heat and stretching. This will greatly reduce tension and related pain. 
    </p>
    <p>Hamstring pain, tingling or numbness is often a bit of a red herring - the pain or tingling/numbness may be felt in hamstrings (or in calves or arms) as smaller nerves branch off the sciatic nerve and can also be effected by compression of the sciatic nerve mught higher up, in the lumbar region, pelvis or glutes. 
    </p>
    <p>You can even get foot or hand pain or numbness from sciatic nerve compression, but the problem is not in the limbs, but in the sciatic nerve which, at the pelvis, branches into two and goes through the glutes and hamstrings to the back of the knee- any compression at any point slong thatnerve may cause pain or tingling in hamstrings, even if the source of the nerve irritation or compression is much higher up, due to the way nerve signsls are passed along (or are interrupted by compression). 
    </p>
    <p>I would suggest deep tissue massage of back, piriformis, glutes and legs 2-3 times over a period of 2-3 weeks, plus a piriformis stretch, gluteal and hamstring stretches and lumbar rotation, stretch/flexion and extension twice daily. </p>
    <p><span>Even better, use heat (hot water bottle) on gluteals and piriformis area (very low back/pelvis/sacrum) before you stretch, which will soften the tissue and allow deeper stretching. </span></p>
    <p><span>Gentle Activity is always better than sedentary behaviour for any trapped nerve condition (or sprain or strain). Activity is more likely to free the nerve up than sitting about. Sitting down for long periods is one of the worst things you can do if you have sciatica! </span></p>
    <p>The WHO also now recognises the importaice of keeping active/mobilising joints rather than immobilisation, (even if that has to be in non-weight bearing mode, seated or lying down) and also of massage, for low back pain. 
    </p>
    <p>When in pain and feeling unable to move much, try lying on back knees bent and feet tigetber and dropping the legs first to one side then the other, gently rotating (you do not need to touch knees to the floor), or try crawling, as this sideways lower spinal movement will ease pain. Movement is good! </p>
    <p><span>Movement in a warm bath is ideal. Do hip hitches, swing legs side to side so hips move side to side in bath or seated on chair, and if standing, try shifting your weight from one leg to the other which also moves the lower spine side-to-side in a similar pain easing manner. </span></p>
  • Options
    Much evidence indicates that stress, sleep deprivation, hormonal fluctuations and lack of peer support or family support also contribute significantly to pain levels experienced and how well individuals are able to mansge their pain. Invest in sleep, some sort of relaxation activity (do whatever you personally find most relaxing) and talk to people as much as you can, dont isolate yourself when you are suffering,  try to get out and keep as socially and physically active as you can every day. Very best of luck with things, hope you are able to find a pain management strategy that works for you. 
  • Options
    ftm42ftm42 ✭✭✭
    Lots of advice there - deep tissue massages are under way already, so will ask her to focus on hips/ piriformis. Doing some stretches too.

Re gentle exercise - although I have a desk job and try to get up and move as often as I can - I walk to work so am getting exercise that way. Just can't run without pain - yet.

I do have a very unsympathetic [and overweight!] husband who doesn't 'get it', so maybe I can blame him?!
  • Options
    ftm42ftm42 ✭✭✭
    Deep tissue massage on Friday, diagnosed at least 3 injuries to my right thigh! I was feeling so tender and sore that the massuese asked me if I had any running events coming up.

When I said I had a 10K coming up today, she said "don't"! So, I withdrew from today's 10K (and Saturdays yoga retreat) and marshalled for the half-marathon which was the main event today, instead.

Then went to the finish to cheer my friends in, including a walk/jog in with one friend who was in a lot of pain, finishing almost last in over 3 hours [a half marathon which was the main event today].

Now I have lots of little niggles in both legs - honestly! Just from a teeny jog? I can walk fine, but just get twinges.

Thinking that now I'll just stretch + maybe get to the gym for some strength work and some static bike maybe. Need to stop altogether for a couple of weeks and then have to start all over again from scratch.
  • Options
    Its great that you were able to support your friends at the event by marshalling! That's a lovely thing to do. Keep positive, and yep keep as mobile as you can even if it is non-weight bearing. Cycling or indoor bike, rowing and swimming may be possible without pain (to maintain cardio vascular fitness) Mobility drills and stretches are all doable and some strength work. When you do return to running warm up well and go very gradual, intervals, short distances initially and pay close attention to form/technique. Play G Gaynor "I will survive" or "walk" (Foo Figjters) and keep your chin up! Very best of luck with your recovery.
  • Options
    ftm42ftm42 ✭✭✭
    freerunner: thanks for your support! I went to the gym last night (after 10 days off any sort of activity apart from physio stretching. Bike, elliptical and stair climber; then weights for upper body only.

I hate the gym, but needs must. I don't like swimming, partly as the pools are never open when I can go + I'm just not good in water. So the gym is the least worst option!

I'm also now having regular deep tissue massages to ease the pains + plan to continue this as a monthly thing from now on as long as I can afford it.

Taking next 2/3 weeks off running (I can still get a parkrun credit from tail walking!) And will then start from scratch. 
  • Options
    ftm42ftm42 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    So fed up. Two weeks of not running + itching just to try that 6K trail run tomorrow. Jog / walked down to parkrun for some tail walking duty. Tiny niggle in right upper hamstring about half way down (10 minutes in to a 15 minute jog there). Walk round was OK. Feel a bit stupid as I feel that I could do an easy 6K tomorrow but just don't know if I can get away with it?

Do I give it a go - it's my last 'paid for' race, so I won't feel any pressure to do any more this year? Or stick to my plan to not run for a month even if I am capable of running ok?
  • Options
    Ftm42, I hope you get ok :)