Options

Endurance Runners required for Research Study

Hi 

I am studying a Masters in Research in Exercise Science and I am looking for all of you endurance runners. Who would like to participate in a research study that could be potentially beneficial to the runner.     

Purpose of Study 

The biomechanics of the lower extremity plays a role in overuse injuries. More recently gait retraining has become popular for the endurance runner, increasing stride frequency whilst decreasing stride length generally has shown to reduce impairment in runners and generally improve running efficiency.  Running Economy defined as steady state oxygen consumption given at a running velocity is highly known as a predictor of running performance.  The aim of the study is to analyse the acute effects of increasing stride frequency on running economy and predicted race time of a 10k event of middle and long distance runners.  

Method

First Visit

First test is a steady state incremental running test which entails three minute bouts of running with a rest period in between for a number of five to nine stages. Followed by a break of a minimum of 15 minutes. The second test is a maximum oxygen consumption test (VO2 MAX) to measure your level of endurance performance. This test requires you to run on the treadmill at the speed dictated by the first test the gradient of the treadmill will be increased by 1% each minute remaining at the same speed until you reach exhaustion.     

Second Visit

Steady-state treadmill running for assessment of running economy. Running at a self-selected stride rate and also an imposed stride rate of 180 steps per min.  Which will be dictated by a metronome and will be videoed to determine the ability to remain with the pace.         

For each of these assessments you are required to wear a heart rate monitor, nose clip, and a mouth facemask mouthpiece to measure running economy, oxygen and carbon dioxide levels.          

Inclusion Criteria:

·         Middle to Long distance runner

·         A recent personal best time for a 10k.  

·         Male and female

·         Age 18+

Exclusion Criteria:   

·         Specific injuries over the last twelve months    

·         Elite runners are not required for this study, however experienced runners is expectable.  

·         If you have been advised not to partake in exercise.  

·         Not able to run for a continuous period of 30 minutes. 

·         Runners with a stride frequency of 90 strides per minute (180 steps). (Your stride frequency will be tested).  

The research will be performed at Northumbria University. The testing will take 1-2 hours on the first visit and approximately one hour on the second visit. I intend to schedule the bookings for the assessments around your lifestyle to the best of my ability.

If you are interested in participating in this study or have further questions please contact Tracy Macfarlane at tracy.macfarlane@northumbria.ac.uk