Options

Saturday 8th February 2020 - Have you heard what they said on the news today

Morning.

Lyrics - Have you heard what they said on the news today

It was after seeing them on there that Mark decided he'd try them emzap but it was Anita Bean's recipe but I think she's a consultant on Tom's programme so it may well be the same. Only 50g of ground almonds so you could try them with flour. You do get about - enjoy your trip out today.

Hope you have a good day at the cross country Dustin.

How is your mate Wabo? Are you going to do your race?

What:          hopefully a LSR
Why:           physio says to try
Last hard:   working out how I'm going to do anything over the next few days in the forecast winds
Last rest:    4/2
If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.

Comments

• Options
    emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    Morning

Let me know what they're like lmh :)

What: no parkrun so just our day trip.
    Why: woke up feeling really sick and with hangover like symptoms, not drunk any alcohol though
    Last hard: well we are going to IKEA today so imagine that!
    Lyrics: familiar

Hope everyone stays upright!
  • Options
    Morning!

Lyrics: no

Yesterday's were Bringing on back the good times, Love affair

Late post from me: have a few days work working from home marking mock test papers so got straight down to it!

What: whatever I feel like when I get to cross country

Why: will see how I feel when I get there

LMH: the Anita Bean recipe that I saw had dairy in it. Can you send a link please? Thanks!

Hope we don't all get blown away over the next few days!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    Little M.iss HappyLittle M.iss Happy ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    They are delicious emzap. Hope Ikea wasn't too busy.

These ones Alehouse: https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=Pt7FDwAAQBAJ&pg=PA195&lpg=PA195&dq=anita+bean+black+bean+brownies&source=bl&ots=bi61Sq8CqX&sig=ACfU3U0uG9ru81jEbYAz2yFT5U7PEcTvWQ&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjjwJbM_MHnAhUBRBUIHck9C0cQ6AEwD3oECAoQAQ#v=onepage&q=anita bean black bean brownies&f=false

I may try them with maple syrup instead of honey next time.

If you scroll up a couple of pages the blueberry and coconut muffins are rather nice too. I have also made a version with raspberries and almonds which worked well. In fact I'd treat yourself to the book - well worth it.

My knee felt the best it has this week which was nice. It wasn't fast but I did manage a mostly comfortable long run. No running tomorrow (given weather and physio's advice) but plan to go to the gym and may even have a little swim or something.
  • Options
    Glad you had a good run, Hazel. That's shifting :+1:

Good that your physio gave you the green light, LMH. Hope you had a good one.

Strange symptoms, em. Hope you are not coming down with something. Ugh, IKEA on a Saturday is my idea of hell ;)

Are you racing at the xc, ale?

I was supposed to do 11 miles today - back to back long runs but I felt wiped out and niggly so I canned it. Yesterday's long run before work and a general lack of sleep all week are catching up with me. I have a few crucial training weeks ahead and the last thing I need is getting ill or injured. So I listened to my body o:) and just did a casual parkrun with a friend in 28 mins. We jogged a few more ks too kill time before the cafe opens and then had a nice breakfast together.
  • Options
    Hi guys! I had a random thought today about how everyone was doing and if this thread was still going strong. To my delight I recognise everyone and glad to see the thread is still active daily! 

What: 1hr 10 of WU 3x 5mins @4:30min/km CD with drills 

Why: Second part surgical exam in 2 weeks and trying to keep SOME fitness during winter.

Last Hard: Nearly a year of surgical exam post coming back to the NHS

Last Rest: From Exercise 6/2 (but this was a 14 hour on-call shift) 

Lyrics: No

I come with a question! My HR is really high, even on easy effort runs. It has been for years and it is a normal rhythm (so I am not worried about it), but I am wondering if it is worth persisting with really really slow running to get my HR down. If I was to do this, it would be drastic, for example my jogging to sprinting range of HR is 170 to 205 (max). To get my HR below 169 I would have to be walking. It is just not possible whilst even jogging slowly. I have had a previous lactate sub maximal test which indicated that 170-186 is 'aerobic'. I find this weird, even as a medic, but I could chalk it down to high sympathetic tone and a small heart. 

so from a running perspective, should Ignore the HR monitor and run by feel and stop over thinking it. Or jump on the new fad of running crazily slowly in an attempt to see a HR decrease over time. 

I will try and keep popping in as work and exam allows! 
    I hope everyone is well.

• Options
    Afternoon!

Good to see you Dibs! I'm not really one to answer the HR question! Stick around! You've been missed!

Chick: I'm far too old and injury prone for racing cross country! Hard enough watching!

What: about 40 minutes either slowly or very slowly

Why: watching cross country

Thanks LMH!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    Afternoon..

Has the wind arrived in the UK already?

Browsed through the Anita Bean website yesterday. Some nice recipes on there, must try some out.

Hope you survived Ikea emzap and the lurgy feeling comes to nothing.

Good news regarding the knee LMH. If you had a good long run then a break tomorrow seems sensible.

Sensible plan too Chicksta. Bet the breakfast tasted good.

Hi dibs, don't think we've met before. Always good to hear of someone coming back to the forums after a break. Good luck with preparing for your exam. Can't offer advice on the HR, I'm too lazy to occupy myself with training by it. Only thought, are you measuring by wrist or chest monitor?  The former can be pretty inaccurate.

What: Saturday training group. Only a couple of miles of chat n' jog but plenty of drills, S&C, coordination exercices, stretching.
    Why: Long run tomorrow so no need for more today.
    Last hard: yesterday
    Last rest: 03.02.

Lyrics: no.
  • Options
    Nice to see you popping in Dibs. I've trained to percentage of MHR in the past and seen my pace increase for the same effort quite quickly with consistent training but I've rarely been reduced to a walk.

Hazel - I highly recommend Anita Been's Vegetarian Athlete Cookbook or her Runner's Cookbook if you'd like some recipes which include meat. The book I linked to is her latest - Vegetarian Meals in Thirty Minutes. I have five of her books now as her two earlier ones were my first go to guides for sports nutrition. A little dated now but there are still some recipes I use from them. The wind is due to hit where I am overnight tonight - gusting silly numbers by tomorrow morning, doubt I'll be walking in it let alone trying to run.

Forty minutes sounds good Alehouse.

My run today wasn't good beyond the fact that I was running and it wasn't as painful as it has been.
  • Options
    Evening everyone, just popping in before my second nightshift this weekend. Moved my long run to yesterday rather than do it after working all night - got 16 miles done, first ten fairly relaxed then picking up the pace a bit for the last 6, though had a bit of a headwind that didn't help - took around 2:23 I think. Too tired this morning to do the parkrun though, so went to bed.

Weather not bad here yet - some rain, few gusts of wind, nothing out of the ordinary. Yet.

Probably the best option chick
    Hope you got a run done ale
    I might check out some of these recipe books - I've got one of her general sports nutrition ones, only has a few recipes though. 
    Dustin - yeah, the oldest two boys have done a few junior parkruns here, I try to wait until they ask to do it, rather than make them, unfortunately they haven't asked for a few months now

Nice to meet you dibs - I assume that's mrcs exams, good luck. I've got a similar issue with my hr, I tend to find it's a bit higher than recommended on easy runs - I might be running them faster than I should, but I prefer to ignore it and go by RPE instead. That said, I know others who have found hr training useful.

Lyrics no
  • Options
    WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Evening all
    Lmh no she was still poorly and I just couldn't face it on my own. So I did 5.4 on my  own, lovely run
    We're doing 5 off road together tomorrow
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can