Options

Tuesday 25th August 2020 - In this proud land we grew up strong

Morning.

Lyrics - In this proud land we grew up strong

We were wanted all along

Well done emzap - another day of your challenge completed. How is the fundraising going?

Filthy morning here and pitch black when I got up. Not forecast to improve much all day so a good day not to be planning a run though Lola will still need a walk - it will be full waterproofs. I'm hoping my physio can work a miracle but think the reality is that I probably need to reconsider my running future - at least in the short term. :-(

What:            nothing
Why:             knee won't allow it
Last hard:     not being able to run how I'd like
Last rest:      23/8

Yesterday's lyrics - When Tomorrow Comes - Eurythmics.
If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.

Comments

• Options
    WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Morning
    Filthy here as well lmh, think I may end up on the treadmill. Glad you got a physio appt. Hope she helps. 
    I also missed Hazel's race. 
    What at least 4 miles
    Why I want to
    Last hard yesterday
    Last rest 31/12/16
    Take care all
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Morning!

Filthy here too

Lyrics: yes, and appropriate

What: a run of some description plus gym work

Why: Tuesday. And likely to get wet unless I can find a window of opportunity. 

Hazel: sounds a good race if you equalled your PB from 5 years ago! How did you place in both race and series?

Chamolk
    : how are you getting on?
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Greetings
    Yep, pi$$ing down here too
    Emz - good work, will dig out that sponsor link. *edit - done!*
    LMH - Hoping that the physio visit offers some answers, not ideal but there are better days to come.

What - club session, pyramids, on grass. should be interesting
    Why - Tuesdays
    Last rest - 20/06
    last hard - Sunday
    just an easy 5k yesterday, legs just feel heavy at the moment
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Morning again!

What: easy run. Set off in drizzle, then the sun came out, then it rained again just as I was finishing. Very wet under foot: path at the end of my road, and then a path that OH and Els  may know next to the tram track. And very windy.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    Nice day here, not even windy
    Laying of some weed resistant membrane under slab garden path.
    Self isolation is hard
    Lyrics no

Yep recognise that path.
  • Options
    chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Hi guys, 

I'm back in civilisation.

Hazel: Well done on the race. Sounds tough. To answer your question: It was deepest Thuringia actually :) Near the Rennsteig. Beautiful there. We walked/hiked some lovely trails and I got itchy feet. Would love to run some of those at some point.

OH: So sorry to read about having to revise the wedding plans. Hopefully Covid is history next year ...  how many days have you left in isolation?

Ale: Yuck, that looks wet. We finally had a break in weather after suffering in 36 degree muggy heat at the weekend. It's now about 20 degrees less and it seems that summer disappeared with a bang to make way for autumn.

Dustin: Enjoy the speedwork on grass. Don't fall though. Wet grass can be treacherous.

Em: How is the knee today? Nice pics yesterday. 

RFJ: Sorry to hear about the fall. Hope you're ok with that change on the job front and that they find something you enjoy. 

Wabo: well done on the handicap race. Not many caught you then which is grand. 

LMH: Oh no :(  I had hoped to come back here and find you running again but that doesn't sound good. Also crossing my fingers you get your money for the accommodation back. Isn't there a rule though that hotels and the like have to accept a cancellation when you cannot get there in the first place?

Here's the apple cake recipe. Hope it's not too late :) It's not GF though.

For a 26cm spring tin I used

200g butter
    220g plain white flour
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    3 large apples
    4 eggs
    1 packet vanilla sugar
    100g sugar (I used brown sugar) - the original recipe said 170g but I always reduce the recommended quantity as I don't like my cake too sweet
    A good measure of Sherry (supposedly rum but I didn't have any)
    a pinch of salt
    2 table spoons of ground hazelnuts or almonds mixed with cinnamon (to taste) and a bit of sugar

Separate the eggs.

Beat the whites with half of the sugar.

Mix butter,  yolks, remaining sugar, vanilla sugar and Sherry

Stir in the flour, pinch of salt and baking powder.

Work the beaten egg whites in carefully.

Peel the apples and cut them into slices. Mix them with the nut/cinnamon/sugar combo.

Grease the tin, pour the cake mix in, distribute the apples on top and put it into the pre-heated oven for 45-50 mins at 180 degrees.

And enjoy :)
  • Options
    chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Oh, and I was very naughty today. I did 5k and ran 2x 1.5 k in there. Very slowly, very cautiously and boy, it felt superb. The only thing that hurts is the left toe, the one that still needs doing :)
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Naughty Chick! No-one else on here would dream of running yet....well done, as long as there is no reaction!
  • Options
    Thanks for the recipe chicksta but I baked apple and blackberry crumble fingers and spiced pear cake this morning. Glad you enjoyed your break - hopefully you can return and run those trails. Our Florida accommodation has remained open throughout but our insurance should cover it. Careful - don't want to undo all your hard work now.

Keep counting down OH. I think you're about the only place in the country with good weather. Rain seems to have mostly gone through here but the wind is picking up.

Similar scenes here this morning Alehouse but the wind is drying things out quite quickly.

Do be careful this evening Dustin.

Hopefully the weather has improved and you've been able to get out Wabo.
  • Options
    emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    Afternoon

What: 5km to greengrocer.  Then oh came and picked me up and brought me and the fruit and veg home!
    Why: I needed to run, we needed fruit and veg!
    Last hard: that was, my legs ached a lot and seemed to be constantly into the wind!
    Lyrics: nope

Chick naughty!  That cake looks lovely though.
    OH well done on the isolation activities.
    LMH any ideas from the physio?
    Dustin, thanks :)

We have lost our table and chairs cover over the fence!  Need to work out where it's ended up!

Have a lovely evening all.
  • Options
    Blimey that sounds bad emzap. March of the wheelie bin windy here but nothing worse than that so far. Physio basically reminded me that my knees are fecked. When I asked her what she thought was going on she said 'you have a degenerative knee condition' er like yes, I know that! She thinks the fall dislodged some of the rough bits on the back of my kneecap which have worked their way into awkward places and are irritating the joint causing it to swell and be unstable. I have to keep up with my exercises and hope that the bits move and the knee settles. The aim at the moment rather than being in three hour marathon shape in five weeks is to be able to walk pain free when Mark and I go on holiday :-(

chamolk has been having some IT issues/difficulty accessing the site.
  • Options
    Some sad news - due to Covid, the CWC committee have taken the difficult decision to cancel what would have been the deferred final Cape Wrath Challenge (May 2021).
    A big hole in our annual calendar but grateful for some lasting friendships and great memories.
  • Options
    Sundown just now