Options

Using a 16 week running plan over a 30 week period

Hi all, I'm 55 years old and really only got into running around 5 years ago and since then I have completed two marathons, Brighton and Chester. I've never stuck to a training plan and I think that may have had an effect on my race times (approx. 4hrs 30 mins both times). I'm now planning on using the Runners World 16 week plan to try and break the 4 hour mark. As it's still approximately 30 weeks until the London Marathon, (my next marathon) should I complete each week on the plan twice or is it better (more rewarding) to focus on a certain block of weeks and repeat these several times, e.g weeks 4-8 or 8-12 or would it be best to repeat the later weeks 11-15 a few times in order to complete the best preparation for early October? (Thanks in advance)

Answers

• Options
    I'm not an expert coach but I think the purpose of a training plan is to peak for race day.

Therefore your goal for the next 14 weeks is to arrive at the start of the plan fit and also feel that you can comfortably approach the first few weeks of the plan without it being a big step up.

You don't say how much running you are doing at the moment but if it's less than 30 miles a week then you should use your 14 weeks to build up to 45 miles a week with 6 days of running as that is what the start of the plan requires. No need for any of that running to be hard, you just need to get the miles in your legs with the minimal risk of injury.

Maybe do some strength training too? 

If you're already running 45 miles a week then maybe the plan is too easy for you?? Although I don't fancy 4 half marathon races in 16 weeks - good luck with that!

Incidentally I plan on trying to follow this plan in 3 weeks as I've failed (by a few weeks) to survive the 18 week P&D plan twice but I'll be swapping out most, if not all, of the HM races for longer runs instead. Whether I then do a marathon at the end of it I'm not sure, depends how it goes.
  • Options
    Hi SkinnyPart2, many thanks for the advice. I've now completed the first three weeks of the plan so am running around 30 miles a week. I'll look to continue following the plan and add on around 5 miles a week every 2 or 3 weeks and hopefully be running 40-45 miles a week around six weeks before the marathon. Good luck with your own plan.