Options

P & D Spring marathon 2023

Let's try to keep a marathon thread going where we're all in it together.

Comments

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    I've got Brighton on 2nd April (3rd time lucky), which is going to be run by London Marathon for the next few years.
  • Options
    List
      2/4/23: Brighton TR
    16/4/23: Manchester Jooligan (race)
    23/4/23: London Jooligan (enjoy)

Aren't you at London too TR?
  • Options
    I'm in for London, I'll be loosely following P&D. Priority is volume though so I will be aiming for a higher mileage plan but will sacrifice the quality sessions.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited December 2022
    No I never achieved a GFA time, I only made 1/2 way at Brighton and DNS London.
  • Options
    TR said:
    No I never achieved a GFA time, I only made 1/2 way at Brighton and DNS London.
    Ah yes of course plenty of GFA times but not in the qualification window.

10M for me on the icy trail alongside the Wye to kick off Week 1 of 16 til Manchester.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Less than 16 wks til Brighton, seeing as its so early in the spring.
  • Options
    That should’ve been ‘Week 1 of 18’ so it must be 16 to Brighton.
    Another 10 tonight but on the TM: 3x2K@6:25 off 1K@7:40 + wu & cd.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Yes, I had a count it was 16wks at the start of this week. I'll have some easier weeks and aim to get on it in Jan......thats some tidy pace today.
  • Options
    List
    5/3/23:Tokyo Macca
    16/4/23: Manchester Jooligan (race)
    17/4/23: Boston Macca
    23/4/23: London Jooligan (enjoy)Macca

• Options
    Just over 11 weeks to Tokyo.  After 3 solid if unspectacular autumn marathons I was feeling ready to push on with P&D but a nasty cough floored me beginning of Dec (still got it) then all the sleeping and lying around set my back off.  I managed a few days in the snow ok but then some sort of skin infection (looks like scarlet fever) has floored me again.  I’m starting to sound really miserable so I won’t mention the burst pipe 😂 

Decent pace there Jools.
  • Options
    List
    23/4/23: London Reg (Target TBC!)
  • Options
    Sounds like a tough run of bad luck Macca.

If I am not mistaken week 1 of London starts Monday. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    You've a busy spring planned Macca......sounds like you've had a run in with strep.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    List
    30/4/23: North Dorset Villages TR (womble round the countryside).
  • Options
    That’s a healthy looking list. Macca’s casual 3 on 3 continents in 18 days bulked it up nicely 😆
    8.5 recovery last night on the icy lanes & a day off today due to work/car issues. Probably needed it as I’d gone a fortnight without a day off despite my ankle still hurting.
  • Options
    Good to see you all running well and ready for Spring marathon season! Not much to report here, built back up slowly after my ultra to run a half in September, but felt tough out on the course and came home in 1:26, when I was hoping for somewhere around 1:24. Just been ticking over with easy 40+ mile weeks, but started an 18 week P&D plan this week, which should take me to either Newport or Boston UK, not decided on which one yet.
  • Options
    Apologies Reg, so long since we had a list I missed adding you.

Bit of list admin

List
    16/4/23 Boston (Uk)/Newport Steve
    23/4/23: London Jooligan (enjoy), Macca, Reg (Target TBC!)
    30/4/23: North Dorset Villages TR (womble round the countryside).
  • Options
    Get your days off in now Jools, at least that’s what I’m telling myself.

Steve - good to see your hat in the ring.

TR - that’s what I thought, but with a reluctance to prescribe antibiotic’s (if you can find them) I thought if it gets worse I can always catch a train to hospital…..maybe.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Macca - try for the anti biotics, they will speed up yr recovery. Took me ages to get well after my chest infection recently. Not helped by the SPO having the same bacterial infection but wouldn't have antibiotics, so i caught it back again, but luckily we both improved and are on the mend now.
  • Options
    Wise words TR - I’m going to give alcohol one last chance to weave its magic then maybe see the doc - feels like forever since I fancied a drop.
  • Options
    Wishful thinking Macca?
    Glad you’re in again Steve, I thought I’d noticed a familiar structure creeping into your Strava.
    Progressive 9.2M on the TM today: 8s down to 7:15
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited December 2022
    Took the plunge and took-up my London GFA place yesterday, so I am in. 

List
    16/4/23 Boston (Uk)/Newport Steve
    23/4/23: London Jooligan (enjoy), Macca, Reg (Target TBC!), OO
    30/4/23: North Dorset Villages TR (womble round the countryside).

3 top-line marathons in 8 weeks! tasty, expect nothing less of you Macca.  Great looking double Jooligan.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Must have been poorly Macca if you didn't fancy any sauce, nothing much puts me off.

Good stuff jools

16m today, so building back up.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    London's takeover of Brighton has been confirmed, so my place for April is confirmed.
  • Options
    That’s good news TR.  It would have been a shame for such a large marathon to go under.

The list is looking healthy, plenty of room for more.

After a stop start (more stop) December I wasn’t expecting too much from yesterdays 16m but I was surprised how de-conditioned my legs were, not helped by a 13m today but I had the day off so wasn’t going to waste it shopping for presents or some other unproductive activity.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Macca - good idea re today. Your legs are normally pretty steely so hopefully they'll soon toughen up. The body is good at adapting to the i had placed upon it (whether that's big or small), my legs soon turn to balsa wood with a bit of time off.

Starting to build again up here after a couple of easy weeks post Goodwood. 8 and 5 today with the 8 as 2 easy and 6 steady.
  • Options
    Been wiped out since Friday’s TM session. I’d noticed the HR was significantly higher at wu pace than Tuesday’s but put that down to the hour’s weightlifting, however my Saturday parkrun was a very sorry affair. At times I was over 8 minute miling & came home in 24:19 for my 186th slowest time on that course. The afternoon’s fell run was equally lacklustre so Sunday off.
    Went out for a dozen yesterday running to easy HR but 9:14 was the result. A good 45-60s a mile slower than I’d usually be on that route for the same HR.
    Ergo another day off today 😒 Not the greatest start to my campaign: I’ve only averaged 40 miles a week so far for December.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Jools- mmm, might be the recent CV, it can cause issues for a while. Probably worth keeping any training as short and easy for a while and see how it goes. Fell runs and dozens might be too far? CV can cause heart inflammation so be careful. Loads of bugs and viruses about too.
  • Options
    Days getting longer.

Jools - Good man, looks like your back at it, but like me could be a case of NAYAYW (Not as young as you were). 

14m easy for me, felt inspired, and had my wifes OK to run the Madeira marathon so a few minutes on the phone and all booked (before mind's changed!). So need to fit in a few long runs and 2 or 3 10K TT into the next few weeks, and watch the boozing. Flat  fast and warm, all the magic words.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    OO - hope that's the description of the marathon and not the Christmas beer....should be able to squeeze in some long runs and TTs around the Christmas beer.