Options

1000 miles in 2023

Comments

• Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Just dropping by to say, Thanks Alehouse. Well done on the long run and a busy week!

Also to say, Thanks Cal. and Well done on today's Half, and reaching 200' for the year!
  • Options
    Finally got a chance to get back to log my runs - was preoccupied with family court matters involving a relative last few weeks (not nice) but kept up the running.

Enjoyed reading previous contributions of trials, tribulations and storylines of development from all - felt elated after the MUFC cup victory and decided to transfer the log on to the thread. Sorry for missing out to congratulate the milestone marks for many.

Nice pictures and am sort of envious about the terrain but have decided to stick to road running due to dodgy ankles and want to avoid any trouble with the race season (for me) coming up. Did the course familiarisation run on 19 Feb (not 22 Feb). 

Got London Landmarks Half on 2 April before London (my 39th consecutive) but an going to attempt the Fauja Singh Birthday Challenge on 26 March first.

Gipfel,  good luck with Tokyo - did it to complete my Marathon Majors in 2019 - really enjoyed the drizzle throughout - was pacing a club member for 5:10, managed to get in with about 30 seconds to spare.  Watch out for the misleading toilet signs as these are not always on the course.

31/01 - 7.24
    01/02 - 8.40
    03/02 - 7.26
    04/02 - 8.67
    05/02 - 11.01
    07/02 - 8.33
    09/02 - 9.66
    11/02 - 7.49
    12/02 -13.67
    14/02 - 9.33
    15/02 - 9.34
    17/02 - 6.33
    18/02 - 8.45
    19/02 - 14.52
    21/02 - 8.25
    23/02 - 8.25
    25/02 - 8.22
    26/02 - 13.67

(168.09)

YTD = 345.39 miles

• Options
    Cal: well done on the half. Time sounds relatively pleasing? 

Harmander: good to see your name again. Have to say I was leaning towards Newcastle this afternoon. They've waited a long time and obviously it's a wait which is still going on. 

Going at parkrun was, to borrow from horseracing, 'good, firm in places' which helped me to a quicker than normal time 23:30 but my position in the field, was lower than usual. 

Ytd 209.1 (Feb 100.0)
  • Options
    GipfelGipfel ✭✭✭
    Well done on the half, Cal - good work on achieving almost exactly your target time, especially with all the recent niggles!

MrM2, your high age %s are brilliant!

alehouse, must feel great to have completed your longest run for years, and a decent high mileage week altogether too!

Donnie2, Tokyo is on Sunday (I can't quite believe I'm writing that - it's been a long 3 years of a wait). I'm trekking down to London via train/coach tomorrow and then fly out on Wednesday morning! I have been before - in 2020 when the race was cancelled (but it was too late to get a refund on my flights) - it's a brilliant city/country and is definitely to be recommended if you get a chance to visit. I've been mildly obsessed since my 2020 jaunt so have been looking forward to having an excuse to go back.

Had a very pleasant easy 4.8 miles today on my favourite loop - and as it's taper time, I felt no need to repeat bits or round it up in any way whatsoever! 

YTD 460
  • Options
    Good luck, Gipfel - enjoy Japan, I wish I was going with you but funds would not allow.
    Donnie, it's like that sometimes, depending on how many and who else shows up. Your own time should be the main thing, really.
    Harmander, Landmarks looks like a nice race, but it's prohibitively expensive. I see they've bumped up the price of the Big Half to over £50 as well, not that I was intending to do that one again.

A slow plodding 5 miles today. Not much energy at all. 

YTD: 205
  • Options
    Thanks Donnie,  Have always supported MUFC, until I got married and had kids - ended up supporting them instead.
    Gipfel, have fun in Tokyo, I did.
    Cal, our club will see if we can get the 100 discounted entries for the Big Half - you would be most welcome to have one - this offer is open to all on this thread.
    We got 5 free entries at the London Landmarks - 11 of our members are volunteering there too.
    just 7.27 miles today.

YTD = 352.66 miles
  • Options
    Thanks Harmander - you did help me out last year and I appreciate it, but after my near panic attack in the tunnel, I don't want to run it again. If they ever change the course to exclude that part, I'll reconsider, but it doesn't look likely.
  • Options
    No worries Cal.

It is because of the tunnels along many urban courses that I do not use GPS based gadgets because the signal goes.

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    12 miles today...was supposed to be 10 but I took a wrong turn. Oops! Well it felt OK, at least.

YTD: 217
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Harmander... Good to have you around, again. Sounds like unpleasant business has got in the way!
    So, well done for keeping up the running; noticed that there were not many 'empty' days in your log...

Donnie... Nicely through the second hundred!

Gipfel... Thanks; for a number of years I have kept 70% as my 'respectability' marker. (You've just got to keep getting older...)   Again, All the best for Tokyo!!!

Cal... Well done on the 12 miles so soon after your Half; you must be pleased about that.

Two days ago I did an 8 mile run including a 10km 'effort' trying to get close to the hour. (86secs adrift!)

After much 'mulling' I've taken out membership at the local leisure centre. Hope to do some swimming and (shhhh) tread-mill miles; need to remind the legs what 'fast' means. And the neglected upper-body is going to wonder what has hit it! (Induction tomorrow.)

(Must be due a warm day soon but looking ahead in the forecast we've got a while to wait!)

YTD: 383' .
  • Options
    Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    Mr MM: enjoy the gym. Pre covid I loved it. I'll be back. I liked the social chit chat. 

Gipfel: enjoy Tokyo. I'd love to run their marathon. One day maybe. I've been fortunate to visit the city three times, absolutely amazing place. I'm now sat thinking about Surbuya (spelling!!) junction. 

Cal: assuming the niggles are kept in check, you look to be in a good place heading to Manchester.

Three runs to report, 8.4, 6.3 and 5.4. All with a very unusual easterly wind which hurts in the final mile. 

Ytd: 229.2 (Feb ended with 114.7 and March is 5.4)
  • Options
    8.25 miles on 28 February and yesterday.

YTD = 369.16 miles.

Further to my recent teaser about the big news concerning our club, just received this:

You are welcome to announce that you are in partnership with New Balance across the run club channels now! Please tag @NewBalanceRunning in any posts. We will also follow-up with imagery from the official marathon campaign, featuring Jag and Mandy!

(Jag & Mandy are our fastest male & female runners).
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Sounds great, Harmander!

Not great here though: COVID, out of the blue. Won't be adding significantly to the miles tally for a while!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Does that mean you get discounted shoes then, Harmander?
    alehouse, you can't seem to catch a break! Hope it doesn't wipe you out.
    MrM2 - yes be prepared for some wicked DOMS.  :D
    4 miles to add today, recovery pace with some strides thrown into the final mile.

YTD: 221
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited March 2023
    I feel fine, Cal: you wouldn't know that I was ill and resting heart rate is 40! Still testing positive though. 
    I am running about a mile a day with walk breaks to keep the HR below 100. And will keep this up for at least five days after I test negative!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    MrCMrC ✭✭✭
    Just joined the forum, started running more regularly after taking early retirement in Dec 21 (best thing I have ever done :).
    Thought I would participate in this challenge as I have a couple of 1/2 marathons and my first ever full marathon later in the year, good motivation looking at how other people are getting on lol.

YTD 201 miles.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Welcome, MrC (not that Mr C, are you? Heh). Which marathon are you doing?

alehouse...good to hear. I wouldn't be able to run at below 100 even with walk breaks. You must have a big old heart.
  • Options
    MrCMrC ✭✭✭
    Thanks Cal, unfortunately I’m not much of a table spinner :)
    I will be hopefully taking part in the Amsterdam marathon in Oct, thought as it’s my first one needed a flat route.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I've still not decided on an Autumn marathon, or even if I want to do one this year, but that one does look good. 
    My parkrun today was Worthing, where I achieved a post-pandemic best of 26:03. Fast course and fast shoes helped. (Plus my usual 1 mile warm-up jog).

YTD: 225
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2023
    Alehouse... Really sorry to hear about the Covid. Hope you recover well!

MrC...Welcome. Congrats on passing 200'. Amsterdam...Good choice; I've run it on 3 occasions, but not for a while.

Cal...What a great parkrun result!

Had my Gym induction on Thursday; a little cramped after the one in Bournemouth that I belonged to a few years ago. But it wont be as busy. A mile there and a mile back, followed by a road 5k gave me 5 miles to add.
    Then on Friday I ran 15 miles which I followed up with an 11 mile run today. Got a bit carried away on the first 7 miles of Friday's 15' with a pace of 9:40/mile (The first 10km took just under the hour, giving me close to 70% age-grade.) 

YTD: 414' .
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Well done MrM2!
    18 miles completed today in 3:15:30. Glad to get that one done.

YTD: 243
  • Options
    Oh Alehouse hope that doesn't set you back like it does to me. I generally feel fine but running afterwards is hard work for a few months... I've been lucky so far this year 

Harmander anything like me your are hiding after yesterday... 

Newport HM complete yesterday with new PB and a bunch of other easy runs in the bag brining my total up. 

YTD 586km 364miles

• Options
    MrCMrC ✭✭✭
    Stafford Half next Sunday so thought I better stretch my legs today as I have not done anything with intensity for 3 weeks after straining my adductor.
    5 miles at 8 min/mile and 6.5 in total
    Felt a lot harder than it should have but probably down to the celebrations of the Reds smashing Utd last night lol

YTD 207.5 miles
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Dangeroushamster...Well done on getting a PB at Newport!

MrC... All the best for the Stafford Half! Are you planning to run it at 8min/mile pace?

Cal... Taking a leaf out of your book and increasing my long runs to 18'. Not ideal weather, yesterday, but glad that I didn't leave the run til today; we have a covering of snow!

Found myself running very comfortably for 8 miles, then tackled the next 8' a bit more confidently. Then 'bolted-on' two miles that I thought would be a 'warm-down' but legs wanted to show off, and gave me a 9:30 final mile! O'all pace for the 18miles was 9:59/mile. (That gave a 71% age-grade.)
    The 8' loops were:81:11 and 79:12.
    Will see if the conditions are safe for a 'top-up' run later today.

YTD: 432' ,
  • Options
    MrCMrC ✭✭✭
    Thanks MrM2 yeah plan was to run a sub 1.42 however with injuries if I can get sub 1.45 I will be very happy.
    Great long run BTW.

Just a gentle 4 mile recovery today

YTD 211.5
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Thanks, Mr.C. Again...all the best for the Half!

Shouldn't have worried about the snow covering; there wasn't much evidence left by this afternoon.
    So, set off on a very familiar 8' loop, aiming for sub 10min/mile pace. Came home at 9:59/mile av.!
    That counts! 

YTD: 440' .
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Good luck MrC!
    MrM2 - here too, although it turned to sleet after a bit and melted.
    Legs have been sore and uncooperative since the weekend so 4 recovery yesterday and then 8 today, also pretty slow.

YTD: 255
  • Options
    Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2023
    Mr C: good to see another poster. More the merrier. Hope the half on Sunday goes well. 

Harmander: well done on the link up with new balance, sounds exciting. 

Mr MM: interesting about joining the gym. I've been away for a few days. Only running was three visits to the small gym in the hotel to use the tread mill. Pre covid I was a gym regular over the years I've run a lot on a TM, loved it, this time, first TM for three years, hated it. Really struggled. Been thinking about why. Best I can come with is, TM running requires better posture, more core strength, which I've lost. Stomach muscles hurt, breathing was a mess, had a stop a few times but I was running slightly slower than a road run. Very odd. Three runs totalling 15.3.

Back to the road tonight for a cold and slower than hoped for 7.4

Ytd: 251.9 (March 28.1)
  • Options
    MrCMrC ✭✭✭
    Steady 5 Mile Run yesterday

YTD 216.5 miles
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    You don't need hamstrings as much on a tready, Donnie, as the belt does that for you, but you do need balance. I find it very hard to run on a tready these days. Back when I was around 28-30 I used to run on them a fair bit at the gym including sprints, but they were the old type - handrail either side, no console in front, and placed in front of a mirror. I've found if I can't see myself in a mirror (and that includes treadies where the view is blocked by the large console) then I really can't manage to go above 10kph/6mph without getting panicky about my balance.

Just 4 miles today - I was going to go a bit further but it was wet and windy and horrible. I did throw 4 sets of long strides into the last mile, though.

YTD: 259