Options

Plantar fasciitis

Hi all. Think I’ve got PF.  I can live with it running but very painful when I finish. I’ve read stretch, don’t stretch. Use ice, don’t use ice. Wear cushion shoes, don’t use etc. I’m thinking about acupuncture. Anybody used it for plantar fasciitis. What was the result? Or what success have people had with other treatment. Doing a 100k in June so want to get it sorted. Thanks

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Hi, I can understand the reluctance to get involved in this topic. If my experiences are anything to go by, it was unclear how the condition came about and even less clear how it went away. I've had two or three  periods with PF, over the last couple of years, and like you, have found very conflicting opinions on how best to treat the condition.

What I would say is that the various stretches, ice-rolling, scraping and manipulations have done no harm and may have helped???

I now wear trainers indoors (for 'slippers') for support, and always do some foot-flexing before getting up in the morning. I'm also keen on single-foot balancing...in a queue, preparing veg., brushing teeth...etc. Yes, quite odd really, but nobody else is going to look after this (very) old body and I do enjoy my running! 

I've been clear for about a year, and currently run about 30 miles per week.

Perhaps a few others will join in, with more wisdom than I can bring to the topic?

All the best!
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Should have mentioned that when I did go to see the Physio, he used a couple of needles .
    Is that 100 k still on?
  • Options
    Thanks for your reply MrM2. As it stands, the 100 is still on. I find I’m ok running. I have pain for the first mile or so then it’s just uncomfortable. Unfortunately I’ve now developed ankle pain which will stop me running. It’s very localised but so painful. The acupuncturist thinks it may be because my plant has changed due to the PF. I went for a 50k yesterday and after abou 15k hobbled back to the car. Very embarrassing. All ultra kitted up and walking with a limp !! All very frustrating. Been running for 50 years and only ever had the odd cold to stop me ☹️
  • Options
    I started running one year ago and developed PF because of my trainers, next to no cushion.
    So I bought HOKA speedgoats for running and went swimming for resistance training on my feet and legs. So far the PF has settled down. Hope this advice helps.