Options

Thursday 14th March 2024 there is a barber showing photographs

alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
Morning!

Lyrics: there is a barber showing photographs
Of every head he's had the pleasure to know

The end of the first line onwards.

Seeing physio for advice later about what I can or cannot do.
Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.

Comments

• Options
    HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    Morning

Forgot to post yesterday.  Tuesday's lyrics were Streets of Philadelphia by Bruce Springsteen.

Hope the physio finds you something to do Ale.

Loved the star pic from Tuesday Chicksta.

15m trail race sounds like a good plan Els - not even half of your recent ultra - should be a doddle!

Good to see you with some race plans too Wabo - enjoy that extra fitness.  Mother's Day dinner sounded lovely.  Hope the curry helped with the cold a bit.

Well done on the reps the other day Dustin.  I guess it helps to have the group to pull you along and not be tempted to drop a rep or two.

What: hills workout planned - moderate slope (400m) at a decent effort - will see how many reps I can manage
    Why: easing back into some harder efforts and am toying with the idea of the hill race series I used to do (starts in April)
    Last rest: 25.02.2024
    Last hard: watching other races I used to do pass by without me taking part, but I know it wouldn't go well at the moment  

Lyrics: no
  • Options
    DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Hiya
    Chick - well done on the 20 yesterday
    Hazel - ohh hills, nice!
    Ale - hope Physio has some positive advice

What - 2 x shorter efforts: ran in from London Bridge to the Wharf (4.2 miles). Kids coaching later, so a few easy miles extra
    Why - fitting it in
    Last rest - 21/09
    last hard - Tuesday
    lyric - not so sure
    Yesterday's were "No Sleep 'til Brooklyn" - Beastie Boys

• Options
    WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Afternoon
    Curry didn't really help hazel, I couldn't taste it 😂
    Feel quite rough today tbh
    Nice running Dustin
    Hazel do a couple of hills for me, I can't do them today
    Ale hope physio was ok
    What walk with mates, trying to summon the energy for 1 mile
    Why streak
    Last hard yesterday
    Last rest 28 12 22 
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Options
    chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Oh no wabo, sorry to hear that. Feel better!

Dustin: I ran in that area a lot when I was at Credit Suisse. Those were the days ...

Hill series sounds good, Hazel. Just enter it without timing/placing and run on feel. My best races were those with no expectations. They were also all trail races :D 

Hopefully the physio had some ideas, Ale.

A little over 11k done. 17 degrees today - wow!
  • Options
    chamolkchamolk ✭✭✭
    Evening

Sun/Mon/Tue nights left me fairly tired so decided a few days recovery after a heavy weekend running was sensible and didn't run Mon, Tue or Wed.

Sports massage this morning then run this afternoon - felt great after a few days off. Alternated 1 mile at tempo pace (around 7:10-7:20) with 1 mile around what I hope will be marathon pace (7:40-7:50) for 8 miles. 10 miles total in about 77 mins and felt easier than I'd expected so I'm hoping it's a sign that things are starting to peak/come together at the right time for London.

Enjoyed the pics of running/mud/stars

Hope the physio has some suggestions that you can do Ale

Warm Chick - we got up to 13 a few days ago but back to single digits since and pouring rain today

Wabo - maybe it needs to be spicier.

Dustin - annoyed I didn't pick up on yesterday's lyrics, good tune

How did the hills go Hazel?

Lyrics yes
  • Options
    emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    Yes to the lyrics
    Ale hope the physio helps.
    Sorry I missed a few days. 

Circuits Tuesday, 5km yesterday. Walk to town and back today (about 5km)

Warning, long report incoming

So the Ultra in the Black Country. I was meant to be running this with friends, all of whom pulled out so I ended up running on my own. It's 52 km along canals and railways of the Black Country. It's way marked so no navigation required.

My aim was to finish by the cut off of 8 hours. 3 people from my club were also running, but I wasn't planning to run with them (1 faster, 2 slower). My plan was for the first 30 km run walk, then walk the last 20 km. My friend was going to support and most importantly run the 2.8 km tunnel with me.

Started off across a very boggy field and I plan that for the first 20 km I'll do run 1.5 km, walk 0.5 km. This plan is thwarted however when km 1.25 to 2 are downhill so I keep running (overtaking my faster friend). I keep up the pattern well on average, though sometimes running for a bit further when downhills, but making up for it when uphills. I don't know the area well, but recognise bits of Dudley parkrun and then the first checkpoint is by Merry Hill (or hell as we call it) shopping centre. This was about 12 km and it's already very wet underfloot from puddles. I'm going really well though and my friend is surprised I've already got to checkpoint 1 and says he'll not meet me at our first arranged pint but will run backward from the tunnel to me. 

Up 10 locks, one after the other, not easy, then onto some muddy canal path. At about 16 km I see my friend running towards me and for the new few I'm it's nice to have the company. We stop at a cafe as he's left his torch in the car nearby and I put my torch on (it's raining by now so didn't want to stand in the rain!). Then comes the tunnel. I would not have wanted to run this alone. It's got huge pot holes filled with water and goes on forever. By the time we are nearly out the other side I'm starting to feel sick from the bobbing of the torches! 

Finally out the other side where I see another familiar face (supporting the others in our club). My friend stays with the other supporter for a lift back to the car and I head up onto the next canal. Quick checkpoint stop where I overtake a few others then the rain starts in earnest. This one goes on for so long. There are no arrows, the people who I overtook at the checkpoint are nowhere to be seen and I can't see anyone at all in front of me. I got so worried, I had to get out my phone and check I was going the right way! I was, phew. At 20 km I was still going well with my run walk pattern, but at 25 decided to start doing run 1 walk 0.5. text hubby to say I was 5 km from checkpoint 3 and see him and my friend there. Well I was too speedy! Just before checkpoint 3 my faster club mate caught me up and he whizzed through 3 (finishing 20 min ahead of me). Missed all my support at checkpoint 3 but luckily hubby and Lucas managed to stop a bit further up and cheer me on and give me a hug!

On to the last 16 km, still keeping up the run walk and overtaking a few more people. Then the mud hits and I have to slow right down. A girl overtakes me and I can only just keep her in sight. The mud is really thick and she has longer legs so it going over it more easily! By this point I calculate if I run 9 min km I'll finish under 7 hours. My friend runs down from the finish and meets me about 3.5 km from the end. He runs back up the big hill to the finish with me and we catch up the girl who overtook me. I manage to get a few bits of running in even on the hill. In the last 300 m I overtake her and manage to stay in front across the boggy field to the finish. Finished in 6:58! Very very happy with that!
  • Options
    elspeth fayelspeth fay ✭✭✭
    Great report Emz....sounds like you ran really well, I just knew hadn't done long enough runs so second half was going to be much slower...and it was but I kept going. Hadn't reckoned with a v slow mile on north Berwick beach which was stoney or underwater but apart from that all runnable had I been fitter! Didn't waste much time at checkpoints apart from middle one which was in a town so had to queue to use the loo!
    Busy couple of days combined with P being unwell yesterday with dodgy tummy and granny duties. Son has jaut arrived for the weekend and youngest daughter tomorrow, baked birthday cake tonight
    Hope physio useful Ale and good running rest of you. Bedtime!