Options

Tuesday 23rd April 2024 Looking out a dirty old window

alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
Morning!

Lyrics: Looking out a dirty old window
Down below the cars in the city go rushing by
I sit here alone, and I wonder why

Wonder when Chick is back! Today's are nothing to do with St George's Day nor Shakespeare's birthday!

Yesterday's were the Battle of New Orleans, best know in the UK by Lonnie Donegan

What: a little stretching

Why: the exercise bike seems to be aggravating my good hip
Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.

Comments

• Options
    elspeth fayelspeth fay ✭✭✭
    Oh no Ale! How about walking, is that OK?
    Sunny but still a cold north wind. 6.5 miles done. Panic phone calls with work to ask me to do an extra clinic because someone is sick. Problem is I'm away Thurs, anyhow offered to do it on Wed instead so waiting to hear back. It's a good an offer as they're gonna get! Stressful day there yesterday as they'd added extras to my afternoon list. 
    Chick's gonna be tired when she gets back!
    Hazel, enjoy the Dales! Was just thinking of our ;meet up last year, shame you're not coming to Scotland as we are gonna be south!
    Emz and Wabo, great parkrun times!
    Dustin, busy running lots as usual.
    Pammie, going well too!
  • Options
    chamolkchamolk ✭✭✭
    Legs recovering a bit. The general stiffness/aches and pains are easing but the right hamstring is still pretty sore. Trying to get to see a physio later this week - flying home today, then off to Spain with the family on Saturday. Considering getting an ultrasound just to know what I've done to it. 

You can probably remember my moaning about the hamstring for the last while. It started to niggle after a tempo run about 2 months ago but I never had any specific injury. I assumed it would ease in a few days but it didn't - it didn't cause any pain day to day, but was there when I ran. It was never bad and I was able to run despite it, but I was conscious it seemed to be getting slightly worse around the start of April. 10 days before the marathon I went to do a 10 mile marathon pace run - as usual it was niggling from the very start, but then abruptly at mile 8 it became very sore so I stopped and walked home.

I knew at best that I'd be doing well to finish and just had to accept that I'd not get my target time of under 3:30.

On Sunday, it was lovely weather - some sun, minimal wind, perfect temperature. The yellow start area was brilliant - only 3 waves, and we all started from the red start line before the red start area runners started. I was wave 3, then red wave 1 was behind us. Started about 10:15. Initially it was going really well - no pain, no niggling. I spent 4 miles at around 8 minutes/mile and started to think that I'd maybe get lucky and my leg just behaved. But at mile 4 I felt the niggle start again. I slowed a little to try and protect it, but then fairly abruptly around mile 6 it became very sore again. I was conscious my gait was badly thrown off as I couldn't use the right leg normally but I decided to keep running and just see what happened. 

What then happened was that it just hurt for 20 miles. I just had to try and zone out a bit and block out the pain, though I still couldn't run quite normally. As I was getting around 20 miles I felt like I could do with a walk but knew that if I stopped running then I'd struggle to start again, so I just kept going. Had to take 2 very brief walks of 10m or so as the lucozade sport was in paper cups and I find it hard to drink from cupdy whilst running. Met my wife at mile 25 but only stopped for 20 seconds or so as i worried any longer would cause problems. 

I felt like I'd been keeping a fairly even pace for a while but my watch was telling me I was gradually slowing, the last 10k was all slower than 9/mile. By this stage the hamstring was competing with pains in my calves and quads for my attention and the last few miles were just a matter of gritting the teeth and carrying on. I assume they were hurting due to the altered gait as they'd bit been causing any problems before. 

Finished in 3:57:56. Whist it's disappointing that I didn't get my target, given all the training, I am conscious that it was a good performance given the state of my legs that day. Got the t-shirt, got the medal and have marathon number 5 done (my 3rd fastest overall, a minute or two slower than my only previous London time in 2019).

Aside from that, the race was great. The weather was perfect, it's a fairly slick operation. The course was a bit cramped on some occasions where they narrowed it to allow crossing points for pedestrians and there were a few elbows catching runners overtaking me but nothing major. Only a few people on the ground getting assistance in the last few miles. Water was every 2 miles. The lucozade sport in cups was my only real gripe - small volume in each cup and awkward to drink on the go. Glad I carried my own bottle at the start. Also took 2 mini soreen malt loaves and 2 gels and felt that was just a good amount, didn't hit the wall 

I just happened to have a continuous blood glucose monitor on my (part of the Zoe programme) and interestingly my blood sugar never went below 6 for the whole thing. 

Flying home in a few hours, will just need to try and get the legs back to normal. Bit worried about the hamstring now though, as I'm not sure why it's been sore. I've got the Chicago marathon in just under 25 weeks and obviously I want to do better in it, which I won't be able to do until this is recovered. Hopefully the physio will have some ideas.
  • Options
    Nice write up chamolk and shame about the injury! Hope it's not going to last!
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Great report,  Chamolk. Definitely worth a scan on the hamstring.  I presume that it is muscular rather than tendon. Be very careful as you don't want it worsening.  If you have, say, a 16 week build up to Chicago, that gives you around two months to get things right!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Hiya
    Ale - sorry to hear the bike is causing you issues
    Hazel - enjoy the holibobs
    chamolk - nice write up, and lets be honest that is a great time with the hammy. 9min/miling is no disgrace at the end of a marathon. May be worth getting a pro's thought on that hamstring before the windy city.
    Els - I guess they didnt turn you down?

What - club night , 400/300/200/100 x3 sets
    why - back with the main gang (although we do have 4 or 5 tackling Newport this weekend and 1 in Copenhagen the week after!
    last rest - 21/09
    last hard - today I suspect
    lyric - oh yes.
  • Options
    WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    afternoon all
    chamolk great report, sorry it wasnt to plan though and hope you can get answers
    enjoy club night Dustin
    els nice running!
    sorry the bike is aggravating things alehouse
    lyrics no

what: 2 miles d&d at work  - tai chi when I get home because i need to
    why: traffic has been a pain so I came in early
    last hard that was
    last rest: 28/12/22
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Afternoon 

Ale oh dear hope you find something  that helps 
    Chamolk  good report  hope you can get injury  sorted quickly
    Recover well

What 2.26/1.12 miles (1.75 miles  walk)
    Why routine 
    Last hard Saturday 
    Lyrics  No

The plan was a 2 and a bit run then a walk just keeping  runs short  till Friday.  
    It started to rain on walk so thought may as well run  home so switched walk to run on garmin.

Then the rain  stopped 😂
  • Options
    HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    Evening

Great report and time Chamolk, it always impresses me when someone keeps going in such circumstances. I give up far too early. Hope you find the cause soon and can enjoy the hols nonetheless.

That is annoying with the bike Ale, are you overcompensating for the bad leg?  Did you see us wave from the top of Snake Pass? (missed an intended turning and kept going - ups)

Must be around a year that we met up Els? We didn't want to go further north this time due to lack of time. Is Balmoral this weekend? 

Enjoy the club session Dustin.

LFOTM I assume Pammie,? Peak District is nice, especially when the sun comes out every now and then.  Roads go up and down a bit, cycling them would be tough!

Hope you got the taichi done as well Wabo.

What: 10m walk above Derwent reservoir
    Why: views, less busy than lower down
    Last hard: bit nippy over the tops today! 

Lyrics: no
  • Options
    Hazel, small hills for you guys! Yes just over a year! Balmoral Sat and Sun, one each, our friends are doing both!