Options

Chicago

Just got my confirmation for chicago. Anyone else doing it?

Comments

• Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    No - but i hear it's mighty pretty
  • Options
    I'd love to do this one, but i just dont think i'll be able to this year. Chicago is a great city though...
  • Options
    Did it in 2000 and 2001. It;s fab, you should really enjoy it.
    Let me know if you want any details, war stories etc
  • Options
    Just got my confirmation too. There are about 8 from Cayman going up this year.
    Not been to Chicago before, but did New York last autumn and really enjoyed the atmosphere of the big marathon.
  • Options
    Done Chicago for the last two years. Its a really nice city but it gets COLD & WET. It was freezing waiting for the start, which is really easy to get to, just a few blocks down from a metro station. The last few miles from China town was hard but did it in 3hours 49 minutes. If I remember rightly it is a pretty flat course. There is good support around the whole course. Enjoy - it is well worth it.
  • Options
    I did Chicago in 2002 and thought it a fantastic event. I even inspired Paula to a world record.

Yes, it was cold at the start, but as long as you have an old thick shirt or cheap disposable fleece to chuck after half a mile you'll be fine. The crowd support is not quite so loud as London or NY, but make no mistake - Chicago is one of the world's 'must dos'. A very flat, fast course.

The city is great. Once you're finished, get stuck into those pizzas, beers and blues bars.

• Options
    I signed up for Chicago two days ago. My favourite running event NYC marathon was already sold out. Good opportunity to go for a PB in the windy city.

The race starts at 8AM, possibly a bit early for the supporters.

Can anyone recommend a good place to stay? Possibly not too far away from start finish?

• Options
    The last two years I've done Chicago. I have stayed at
    The Claridge Hotel,
    1244 North Dearborn Parkway.
    Phone 312/787-4980

Last year it cost $155 plus $23 tax per night.

It is about 4 or 5 metro stops from the starting line at Grant Park. About a three minute walk away from a metro station. The area round the corner is upmarket and full of clubs & bars.

I used it the first year and went back there again.

Another sort of cheap (on Expedia)Hotel is the Lannox Suites Hotel which is centrally located downtown. About two blocks from North Michigan Avenue. Stayed there at the begining of May.
  • Options
    Last 2 years I stayed at the Congress Plaza - similar price and right outside the start - 5 mins to the front.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info!

*Ooops* Just had a look at Expedia regarding Congress Plaza. Says:"The worker's union of Chicago has been conducting a strike against the Congress Plaza Hotel since June 2003. Guests may encounter picketers when entering the hotel."

Just checked what kind of hotels tour operators use. Essex Inn, Holiday Inn, Hilton Homewood Suite, ... so much choice. Maybe I can find one with jacuzzi :)
  • Options
    I know this is a stupid question.....but when is Chicago?
  • Options
    URR - the Essex is on the doorstep of the start, though it's looks like a pretty basic sort of place.

Stephen's recommendation is probably an excellent hotel, but you might not want to have to get a metro on race morning, and nor do you have to. There are dozens, if not hundreds, of hotels along Madison or up in the Loop that are about 10-15 mins walk from the start/finish. A nice limber-up before the race. And to be honest, $178 per night for a hotel that's a tube ride away doesn't sound that appealing. Take a look at the usual hotel sites (laterooms.com, expedia etc), and you'll find something. We stayed at the Radisson I think. It was about $120 a night?

Chicago isn't like the London or NY marathons, where the hotels are miles away. One of the great things about Chicago is that the start and finish are at the same place, and right in the centre of the city.

If you can be bothered, you can always read my account of the Chicago experience at www.runningcommentary.co.uk.

Drop me a line if you need further info.

But a great race in a fantastic city. Chicago can change your life!

Good luck

Andy
  • Options
    Chicago is October, 10th.

Cheers Andy, will have a read!
  • Options
    I am looking forward to this event, did Paris this year, how does it compare?
    Staying about 12mls outside Chicago, any idea how easy/hard it is to get to the start?
  • Options
    Got my confirmation today, my application for competitive start was accepted as well. 25000 have already signed up so far.

BTW you can vote for the t-shirt design. Think I voted for design #2.
  • Options
    Good luck to you all! I did it last year - was absolutely fantastic! You'll love the atmosphere. Look out for the drag queens about mile 10 if I remember correctly!!! Weather for me was a joy - I was glad to be finshed shortly after 12 as it was boiling by mid afternoon. I had competitive start too, crossed line after 30 s, straight into my running. I ran with sub 3.10 pacer group and it went perfectly - 1.33.30 / 1.34.30 for a 3.08 PB.

Enjoy!!!

Also, make sure you go up the Hancock tower for cocktails afterwards (but get the lift from 'round the corner from Mag mile to avoid paying to go up!) What a view!
  • Options
    3:08 great time! This will get you into Boston, which I ran earlier this year. Fantastic race.
  • Options
    Thanks URR. I actually ran Boston this year too (and started the thread on this website!) Was really hot wasn't it! I agree though - absolutely fantastic race and top city!
  • Options
    I ran Chicago in 2002 & I thought it was me that Paula was worried about and ran so fast!!

Like everyone else I thought that this was a great event. The start was cold but bearable as I stayed at the Essex which is only a couple of minutes away from the start and finish.

The pasta party on the eve of the race was the best I have been too - a proper sit-down affair for several thousand. There was a great party afterwards and one of my best memories was the reception that Paula got from everybody when she was presented on stage at the party - I even got her to autograph my number!

BTW I ran my best time for ages so the course is good too.

URR / Pseudo - after my disappointing Boston time this year I am looking to get a time to run again next year
  • Options
    Mark - I think your qualifying time lasts for two years. Is this any help or was the time you used for this year 'old'?

I'd love to do Boston again, but think in 2005 I'm going to do Paris or Rotterdam instead.
  • Options
    Great to hear lots of experiences of this event. I am taking my family and making a weeks holiday out of it, any advice about transport (we are staying in a place called Hinsdale about 12mls from downtown Chicago)to the start would be appreciated.
  • Options
    Mark - I was there in 2002 as well and agree that Paula's appearance that night completed one of the best days of my life.
    Did you by chance take any pictures at the evening event?
  • Options
    jd - Unfortunately not (which as my friends will you is very unusally for me!)