Options

Calf Tightness

Hi,
My girlfriend has been having problems with tight calfs. She's been getting into running again for the past 3 months and this has been a problem for the past month or so. Sometimes on a longer run (5 miles) the tightness goes after 2 miles or so but it returns at the end of the run. She stretches both before and after every run and has recently bought new trainers after having her feet scanned at Sweatshop in Teddington so she does now have the correct shoes for her foot type.

We've read previous posts on this subject and have tried the stretching and massage already. Does anyone have any new suggestions that we can try?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Has she been to a podiatrist? I had very tight calf muscles (this was due to the fact I have bunions and my 'toe off' position was all wrong). He gave me exercises and insoles (not expensive, only £19) and things have really improved.

(He did not recommend the calf stretch I was doing, which was standing on a step and pushing my heel down below the level of the step - he said this was too brutal and would only make the calf muscle tense up, thus making the situation worse)