Options

Anyone else thinking of Paris

Being overly pessimistic have decided that the moneys gone and I won't get in.

Anyone in this boat last year and did Paris instead?

Comments

• Options
    When do you have to enter to get into paris???
  • Options
    I did, and you don't have to enter particularly early. It's a good course but crowded.
    Also, a bit expensive as a substitute by the time I'd bribed the rest of the family with an all expenses paid weekend in Paris including Disneyland. So family, if you're listening - I'm going on my own next time.
  • Options
    Not doing disneyland harder than marathon
  • Options
    Did Paris this year and although it was a bit crowded especially in the first 10k thought it was an excellent marathon. A bit boring on times (but most marathons are) the feed stations were great even if they were always a bit hectic watching out for other runners - but loads on offer eg bananas, sugar cubes , oranges, raisins etc. Also just after the finish line it was a bottleneck but apparently they are changing this for next year to sort this problem out. Contradicted myself a bit by saying it was excellent then pointing out faults but the problems i listed above were the only determental aspects , everything else was very well organised. If i do not get in London I would definately consider doing it again.
  • Options
    I may consider Paris (subject to cost) if i don't get into to London.
  • Options
    Greeny.Greeny. ✭✭✭
    Yep, I could definitely consider Paris.

Better wait until December to decide though, I wouldn't want to do both (although my friend did this year).
  • Options
    Does anyone know if there are any organised trips to Paris like are done for some of the other europe and overseas runs?
  • Options
    There was an advert in RW for charity places to paris, If you raised £800 then you got entry travel and accomodation free. This sounds a much better deal than london golden bond places.
  • Options
    Thanks I didn't see that one - the latest RW came in todays post so I'll have a look (great excuse to not do any work). £800 a bit much for me - although maybe not is as you say it covers travel and accomodation so could put up more of the sponsorship oneself.
  • Options
    Does anyone know if you get a tee-shirt for doing Paris?
  • Options
    Yes you do get a t-shirt. Also the company Leisure Pursuits Group (LPG - always advertise in running magazine) organise trips - although i found them a bit expensive for what they offer. have found it's much cheaper to arrange all your own transport - did this for both Stockholm and Amsterdam this year with no problem. Used lastminute.com to book flights/hotel although i believe it is possible to do it cheaper again if you put a bit more effort into it than i did
  • Options
    I ran London last year and had a great time, but the ballot system has put me off this year. I may still be lucky and get a club place, but have taken the opportunity of entering Paris anyway. I entered online and two days later had my race number. What could be easier?
    There is more to running than just the FLM, so from now on I am looking to run a marathon in a different country twice a year. Paris and Chicago in 2003 and Boston in 2004 if I can get the qualifying time.
    Personally, I think the London bubble is about to burst. Either they run a separate charity event or give the marathon back to runners. I don't think I will put myself through the ballot trauma again!
  • Options
    Well I just checked my bank account and no money has gone out and I did not bequeth so I guess I can assume I have been rejected.Paris looks tempting I need to give it some serious consideration.Boston is a more expensive option.
  • Options
    but next year might be 5 times rejected, guaranteed plce
  • Options
    Not Paris, but I'm almost certainly going to do the Shakespeare Marathon if I don't make London.

Nice countryside, no sponsorship hassles, low entrance fee - bonus. :)
  • Options
    Yes, I'm considering Paris if I don't make FLM - and I agree completely with the sentiments expressed. FLM is no longer a race for runners. That's why I run Berlin every September, it's a race purely for athletes.

But do remember, for events in France you must submit a health certification from your GP.
  • Options
    The hardest part of entering the Paris Marathon is getting a health certificate from my own doctor. It would be easy if I wanted an HGV drivers certificate or an Insurance certificate each costing £66, but to get a piece of paper saying I am fit to run seems too difficult for them.

I have given them the detail of what is required from the website, so with any luck, I will get over this inconvenience.

If anyone can offer any advice on how to overcome this hurdle I would be very grateful.
  • Options
    This is my strategy. I have had two offers for charity places for London and have entered through the ballot. The charity offers require £850 and £1250 respectively. Have been thinking about this over the weekend and decide that having just run the Dublin marathon and tapped family friends/colleagues for money for a charity which I am a member of and with people know my connection I really do not want have to spout a speel about a charity that I do not know, nor relate to (thankfully) to raise efunds so that I can run a race. Therefore my gameplan is as follows:
    1) If I get a place in the ballot - great!
    2) If not can I pick up a place for £300 in December - for which I'll fund myself
    3) If not, I'm gonna do Paris. The Sportstours are only around £300....considerably less I think than I could end up potentially funding myself from the shortfall from the FLM charity place. For the sake of around £20 now I'll make my entry to Paris so at least have this in place at the lower cost for entry (I think it goes up very soon!)
  • Options
    Paris and Disney, sounds like fun and I may even just get this one past my wife, although she wasn't having any of it when I stated I wanted to take her to Florida for her birthday, (oh and while we were there run the marathon in Disney).

I think I will enter Paris just to see, if I don't get into FLM I don't want to run for charity as my brother in law didn't get in and is running for charity so its not fair on the family. If I do get into both I think I'll go for both as I realy want to do London to Brighton so London and Paris will be good practise.

Swiss Bobby are you still doing both and running between the two during the week?
  • Options
    I hope to be doing the same as Ian Wood. I trained for FLM last year on a gold bond place with a small charity. I had to pull out injured with a few weeks to go. They've offered me a gold bond again for 2003, but I promised I would never "run for charity" again.

So the plan now is to enter Paris but let the charity know I'll take up any spare gold bonds they have at short notice if any of their runners get injured like I did. I'll then stump up the £300 or so it will cost out of my own pocket.

Neil
  • Options
    have entered paris today. Does anyone have a pro-forma medical cert that I can get my friendly doc to sign (how do they validate it anyway?)
  • Options
    DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Puffed Daddy - agree the ballot thing takes its toll (I'm frequently rejected) but think your idea that the bubble will burst is frankly laughable.It will always be oversubscribed.

I got in through the ballot this year,having been rejected every year since 1994 (last time I made it through the ballot).When I get the letter in December,I'm putting my name down for Rotterdam (same day as FLM).

Then its off to Chicago later in the year.
  • Options
    My FLM cheque's been cashed, so's hubby's - so looks like we're both in (didn't bequeath). So maybe Paris 2004.

I wonder if getting in through the ballot's got anything to do with which age group you're in?
  • Options
    Ian

There is a pro forma phrase on the Parsi web site - If I do Paris I am going to copy it into the body of a letter and use it
  • Options
    I ran Paris in 2000. Thought the race was well organised, my points as follows:

You can register and pay on-line. If you do so by 30th November it's 50 Euro (£30.00) If you haven't bequeathed your money you will know before then if you're in the FLM.
    Goes up by 10 Euro twice after that.

Medical cert:
    Cut and paste the text from the web site onto paper and then tell the Dr to copy it onto the surgery's headed notepaper and sign it when he's done the medical.Worked for me.

Timing:
    You have to use their chip and return it afterwards. Time starts as you cross the Start line so is accurate.

Course is flat and I didn't think too crowded so along with timing PB's are possible.
    Start and finish are in the same place.

Refreshment:
    Plenty as Steve J said.

Transport:
    Budget airlines + ferries make it very easy to book your own trip.
    I stayed in a Formule 1 (booked on-line)a metro ride from the start (£20.00 per ROOM/night)Car trip to Paris was about £80 return. This year I'll probably fly.Next years airline prices should be out around December.

Metro system is very good and cheapish, quite close to Start/finish.

Medal is quite nice!

City
    Apart from the fact that it's full of French people and American tourists there's a huge variety of things to see/do at usually cheaper prices than London.

FLM
    Spookily I not only agree with Puffed Daddy re his comments on FLM I also have the same marathon plans for 2003/2004.

My first marathon was FLM and I think that's what it is/has become, an event for first-timers. The timing starts from the gun, so you lose at least 5 mins to the start. It's too crowded,with more fancy dress than carnival.However it is well supported and gives couch potatoes motivation to run.
    The ballot system is not transparent and will never be fair to 'real' runners.

I used FLM as a starting point and like Puffed Daddy now try to run marathons in different, interesting locations.
  • Options
    Nigel, appologies for asking this, which text are you referring to on the website..I could not find any that would be relevant?
    thanks, Ian
  • Options
    The following is found at the very bottom of the Medical certificate Page.
    (In Registration drop down menu)

The medical certificate is issued by your Doctor after examining you, he will give you a certificate similar to the one below: "I, the undersigned Dr ..., doctor of medicine, certify that the examination of Mr. YOURSELF reveals no contraindications for participating in sports competition, medical certificate issued in on the (date)"

All I did was cut and paste the text after the " left a space for the Dr's name and inserted my name instead of 'Yourself'

The surgery then typed up the letter on their headed paper.

Basically the organisers don't want anything fancy, as I'm sure they won't check the authenticity of the 'medical certificate'. it will be for their insurance in case you peg it whilst competing.
  • Options
    Great,many thanks Nigel.
  • Options
    Attempted to enter Paris online just now, but it was 'temporarily' disengaged.

As a large city 'thon, it can't be beaten - the largest in Europe after FLM, close to the UK, excellent night life and eateries etc, and no bloomin ballot. Hotels there are a fraction of the cost of London.

look no further.