Options

This guy must take us all for idiots!

2»

Comments

• Options
    fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    this is now getting like nerds corner!!!
  • Options
    WombleWomble ✭✭✭
    He said he had been vindicated by the court. Not quite sure how he worked that out when they also said he was 75% responsible for his own dismissal.

Perhaps all the passengers could go on strike if they give him a job.
  • Options
    Sounds like a good life being a train driver. Where do I apply ?
  • Options
    That report report refers to a high speed train on use on the overground lines, not the underground. Admittedly it was back in the eighties and things might have changed since then, but I was an apprentice electrical engineer on the underground system based at Acton Town. We spent several months learning about the signalling and safety systems in use. The trains were generally fitted with two handles, one was an accelerator/deccelerator, the so-called "deadmans handle", the second was a brake handle. As far as I can remember, there were no foot pedals fitted at least up until the 1986 stock as used on the Jubilee line.

The foot pedal in the article refers to an interlock switch which applies the emergency brakes if it isn't depressed every 30 seconds or so.
  • Options
    Cor dear old LUL's training center at Acton Town.... many happy days spent there
  • Options
    Er yeah. I knew that.

<goes back to play closer attention to his Thomas the Tank videos>
  • Options
    Quick...rename the site Trainspotters World......

eek!
  • Options
    astonishing, really. Me, I went into work 5 days after breaking my arm in 2 places and having an op to insert steel plates to keep it arm-shaped. And do I have a job right now? do I flip. and yet numbskulls like this little twonk.....that makes me so cross.
  • Options
    DTS - was it the Apprentice Training Centre you were at? When?

Hated the place myself...
  • Options
    1997, I worked on the Northern Line cooms upgrade, I had to do all the track licence training etc before I could work trackside
  • Options
    Anathes-whats-yer-name - I went into work after a skiing holiday with a "sprained" wrist. Was given time off to attend a clinic to get it seen to. Turned out it was broken in two places. This after my sister making me pack the car and driving part of the way back from Meribel!

I welcome one and all from the former Eastern bloc if they are able to do a better job than some of the lazy sh*tes we seem to breed in this country!
  • Options
    Way after my time then - I was there around '81-'85.

We had a half hour lesson in trackside safety that went along the lines of "tread on that one and it's goodnight Vienna!" (excuse the pun...)
  • Options
    you're double-hard, you are Suffolk - I step aside :)

nothing but whingers we're breeding in this country these days. Should we bring back national service?
  • Options
    had to do several track walks, whilst the rails were live !

Funniest moment, trying to measure some track lengths at Morden depot, in the pouring rain, using a metal surveyors tape, with the depot manager standing there going "I dont no which tracks are live", so try not to touch any of them !!!

Did my apprentiship in Coventry way back in 1974........
  • Options
    Tee Hee - would have loved to have seen that one! Most of the foremen at Acton were alright, but one or two were complete incompetents and I'm sure had just got there through 'buggle's turn next'.
  • Options
    Stories like this seriously piss me off. The relevant unions are a potent weapon in the fight to fend off the threat of privatisation hanging over the Underground, but they do themselves no favours by getting involved with bollocks like this. Why can't they just concentrate on the serious stuff - like making sure profit never supercedes safety as the primary motivating factor in the operation of the London underground. This is something most Londoners want. Fighting privatisation is ultimately in the best interests of the paying customer & will boost the unions support with the public of London, making a fuss about a waste of space like our squash playing invalid will lose that support just as quickly. It all plays right into the hands of Tony Bliar & his cronies who need to weaken the unions sufficiently to get their privatisation through. It's time Bob Crow & others got their priorities right before it's too late, better stil, replace Crow with someone who focuses on the job at hand rather than pissing about with his own petty battles to boost his ego.