Options

Sunday 16th May

.. then we race on and on to the fiery portals of hell ...

What : 4 miles < 70%
Why : BT early stages (loving it so far)

Last hard : 26/4
Last rest : 13/5

Have great Sunday folks, gl to all racers ... I've always wanted to post these lyrics!

Comments

• Options
    Morning all

Report on yesterday's county 5,000m champs.

I went into the race as last year's champion, but the field was considerably stronger with U23 international Shukri Omar in the field. My plan was to set out at 15:30 pace (a bit ambitious given the marathon) and see what happened.
    After the first 200m I was dead last, but then kept on the pace and by four laps was up into third place, running with the fourth placed guy and well behind the leading two.
    I felt we were slowing a bit so picked it up again, but once I had a fifty metre or so lead and was effectively running alone my pace dropped (may have been the heat) and in the end I just dropped back to knocking out steady sub 80 laps to come home in 16:14. Not what I was looking for, but no disaster given that this was my first race since marathon, and another county medal is always welcome.

My legs don't feel too battered so I'm having a go at the British Airways Concorde 10k in a few hours. Any other takers?
  • Options
    Morning

Boy the things we do for running - hope your all nice and warm under your duvets!

Glad the early BT stage is going well Rodders!

Well done Mike - still a strong run!

What: Richmond 1/2 Marathon

Meeting up with Venom with this one!

Legs dont feel 100% slight ache in left calf but will see how things unfold on the way round if gives me any probs then I will just ease back and enjoy it!

Yesterday I also got my confirmation on my entry to the Monaco marathon for Novemeber -
    really looking forward to this as its meant to be very scenic running through the coast line of Monaco - France and Italy!

Race/train well all!
  • Options
    Morning

Richmond 1/2 for me too.

Tired though :-(
  • Options
    Morning all

MikeB, well done on your county medal.

What: Beverley 10k

Why: cos it's my mother's birthday and it would seem churlish to go to Hull and miss a good race:)

Last hard: Thursday

Last rest: Saturday

Hoping for another sub 34 but legs not 100% after heavy week and still 4 weeks since FLM. Did 35:08 here last year so we'll see what transpires.

Good luck all racers.
  • Options
    Morning,

Well done MikeB, I've only one individual County medal [bronze] but I'm proud of it :-)

What: a little run!
    Why: why not :-)

last hard: 8 days
    last rest: last 5 days

race well folkes :-)
  • Options
    Well done Mike B op time and medal.

What: Sandal Castle 10k. Decided must start racing soon, can be entered on the day and isn't too far.

Good luck other racers; look forward to later postings
  • Options
    Morning,

Well done MikeB!

Tim, take care with that foot.

What:1hr 40ish off road meander

Why: continue to build the endurance without tiring myself out, only six days to White Peak half.

Need to buy a pair of sunglasses, any recommendations?

Good luck all those racing!
    Good luck all the racers!
  • Options
    Morning All,

Mike B, great performance, county medal is a real achievement.

Best of luck all racers.

What: ~17M with a couple of mates, mainly off-road.
    Why: The weather is too nice not to!
    Last hard run: Thursday.
    Last rest day: Friday.
  • Options
    Morning All
    Haven't posted for some time due to computer problems at work and a lengthy buisness trip to Oman... If lying by the pool each afternoon can be construed as work!

Anyway training for comrades continues, hit 65 miles for the week, time to taper now. Still not sure if will actually get there but until I'm sure training continues.

Happy Running
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Morning all!

Good luck all racers I'm looking forward to reading your reports!

Well done Mike, good time in my book!:o)

Enjoy your meander Barbara! I wear a cheap pair of sports glasses from my local sports shop and Oakley's and to tell the truth their isn't any difference between them!

Waht:a short run on grass, 15 miles cycle, swim
    why:because I want to
    last hard:a while ago
    last rest:run rest continues (sort of)but the training still goes on.
  • Options
    Morning all

Lots of racing going on today! Good luck to Speedie, M, BR, Treadmill and anyone else. Hope it doesn't get too hot later.

Barbara: I love my Oakleys and would definitely recommend them!

MikeB: well done on the bronze and good luck for today.

Got a longish run planned for later. 12-15 miles depending on how I feel once I get going.

Have a good day!

• Options
    Morning all,

Well run MikeB

By comparison my schedule looks rather lightweight

What: train with the juniors
    Why: Cos its Sunday and I will get a nice little speed session out of it
    Last hard: Fridays slog home
    Last rest: Yesterday, and it was bliss

All you racers have a great day, looks hot and sunny (on a weekend to) :-)))
  • Options
    WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    Morning all

MikeB Well done on your medal and best of luck for today:-)

Good luck Speedie,Venom,M,BarnsleyRunner,Treadmill and all other racers be careful with the heat out there today!

Hilly -take care my girl;-)

BT you take care as well don't rush back to soon!!

I have Oakleys as well Barbara and love them to pieces but not tried any others to compare with!

Was out at 6am for longish run 13.2 miles and jolly glad I went early, as it feels so humid out there know plus asthma and hayfever are acting up not a bad run especially as back been acting up this week!!

Have a great day out there but take care with the heat!!!
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    DD, hope you get to Comrades ready to roll.

Mike, well done, any medal is not to be sniffed at, but a County one ...

Hilly, how is a "short run" a rest? You nutter!

Barbara, I love my Brikos!

What: 1 hour of intervals, slow on beach, fast on prom
    Why: No training plan, just getting fitter at the minute.
    Last hard: Yesterday
    Last rest: Friday.
  • Options
    Im shattered
    Just ran for a slow hour-didnt even cover 5 miles
    i must be tired
    maybe try to get in a long one during the week instead
  • Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Morning (just)

What: 11¼ miles
    Why: Cos i'm mad and it needed to be done
    Last Hard: Today
    Last Rest: Friday

It was very hot out there and only a slight breeze, along river saw 2 other runners going in same direction, they looked newbies, so gave them friendly greeting and some encouragement. Well we runners are a friendly lot aren't we?
    (probably not proper english BUT ...)

Right off now for cold bath done some stretching now for the fun part

... well i told you i was mad!!!!!!!
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Part of today's session done-22 miles cycle on lovely country roads with very little traffic, bliss! Then did just 2 miles run on treadie as I didn't want to run outside and find I had to walk back. Pace was only just above walk, but hey it was a run! No severe pain, but can see why physio said no running, so really no running now until I'm told to!:o)

Off for a swim soon, whould be nice in this weather, then home to lie in the sun for the rest of the afternoon.

WP-glad you got a long run in! Hope the back is being good for you.

Bryan-I have lots of middle names:o)
  • Options
    Hey guys and girls! :D

20.7 miles this morning - felt very tough. I knew right from the off it would be. Took 2:34 today, which included the last 7 miles in near enough 54 minutes.

I then had fun linking my Garmin to Trailgauge, which loads up 3D maps of your run and then you fly along your run watching "yourself" go up and down the hills etc. Unbelievable technology.

On a negative point, I've been having some pain right along the arch of my foot, so much so that I cant even bend my toes forward at the moment. :( Feels bad.

Happy running and racing today folks! :D

• Options
    Hope everyone's racing has gone well :)

Need to trawl back through the last couple of days to see what's been happening, just haven't had a chance yet :(

Well done MikeB. Hilly, I hope you're not getting too frustrated with the enforced running rest.

What: light weights.
    Why: Need an easy day.
    Last hard: yesterday
    Last rest: Sunday last

worked out that I've cycled just short of 100 miles this week by accident (i mean just in getting to places, rather than specifically to cycle!) guess it all helps!
  • Options
    sven27sven27 ✭✭✭
    Morning all.

What: 10 mile run later on @ 6.30m/m

Last hard: yesterday 1500m county champs

Well done MikeB for yesterday.

My run was a little dissapointing, I finished 5th in 4.11 for 1500m at the counties.
    I arrived only 15mins b4 race, but it was hot so I thought I would only need a few strides to warm up. With the lack of training recently I didnt really know what pace to run, but decided I should be satisfied with 66sec laps ( about 4.08 ).
    First lap turned out to be 66/67 and I felt quite tired this demotivated me as that pace shouldnt feel tough and I was about mid field was where I was and I stayed.
    Managed to over take one on the last lap but had no confidence to take it on in the laast lap where I should be capable of sub 60 at that pace and finally finished in 5th in 4.11, with the winner in about 4.05 ish.

Need more training!
  • Options
    hi Peeps!

Back from my 27k slow run.It was OK. The pain in the bum was under control. Going to see the physio tomorrow.

Happy running!
  • Options
    Sven, well just look at it as something to build on. We can't all run well all the time.

British Airways Concorde 10k
    Cranford, Heathrow

After yesterday's track 5,000m (and FLM) I turned up not really knowing what to expect. The course isn't fast although mainly flat with numerous twists and turns.

From the gun settled into a group of four, and we got to the first K marker in 3:30, which I thought was a little slow. I moved to the front and pushed the pace on slightly and the next k was 3:00, so I decided the markers weren't too accurate.

At this stage I decided I wasn't going to be able to break the other 3 (all vets!!) this far out so just sat in for the ride, fairly confident that I would be able to match whatever sprint finish I was up against.

By 7 k it was down to three of us, and stayed like this, with both the other guys pushing on until at 300m to go I just went for it, opening up 3 seconds fairly quickly, and holding this to the finish, with 10 seconds covering the first 3.

1st in 34:12, not the time I was looking for but good to win a competitive race, and it was hot, and I raced the day before!
  • Options
    What? YMCA Crouch End 10k
    Why? Tempo run
    Last hard? Thursday
    Last rest? Yesterday

Sunny day, warm conditions, no wind. Local event, just 10 minutes walk down the hill. Had no clue about the course, information pack never arrived and the description was very vague. Anyway, wasn't looking for a PB today, undulating course and the uphill towards Ally Pally station is not easy, multi terrain, starts and finishes on grass, pavements, streets, path, basically everything. Countdown, horn blows, off! Turned in the first corner at position three mainly avoiding congestion, out of the park, crossing the streets and running on pavements. Got passed a few times, decided to take it easy. Lots of turns and corners, trying to learn the course. Around 4km I found myself in a group of 4, two Heathside runners and two others. Noticed two of them from other races. Just plodding along and at 5km checked the watch, 18:19, a minute slower than usual and thought I should do something about it, as I usually run faster in a marathon. Then really attacked, nobody responds, raising a big gap, one turn left and another right, and they others haven't been seen again. Closing now down very quickly on position 9. and 8. On the second lap on the incline I finally got them, running together on the downhill. During the last kilometer one of them slowly moved ahead, didn't push on and maintained the pace. Finally, crossed 10th, in 35:59. Very pleased, I really shouldn't have raced today, as my right foot was swollen and I was limping around. Confident, that I can break the 35 minutes on a flat course, the leader was not too far away, was low 34's I think. Got ice pack and advice from the medical tent. Was very worried area around the bone could be infected, hot bath will do. Nice t-shirt, free doughnuts too, but couldn't handle any food afterwards. Friend recorded little video clip, approaching the finish, nice piece of memorabilia.

MikeB - Congrats on the medal and your 10k! Wish I could run such a time. Watch out I am getting closer and closer :)

• Options
    GodzillaGodzilla ✭✭✭
    What: Nightmare
    Why: smoking and caterpillars

Warm went out in the midday sun camelbacked to the 9's shades bandanna etc etc

new route aiming for 17miles+

2 in on main road and overhanging trees for 3 miles - bloody green things hanging at head height from every tree - getting covered in caterpillar silk and feaked out because I'm scared of spiders so whenever silk strings hit me i go into mad jump about and wipe off mode (imagine this for 3 miles every 20 miles) - swallow two flies carry so carry on breathing through my nose only - and give up after hamstring starts to complain at 7.5 miles

need to quit smoking now 'cos my legs just haven't got it in em anymore.

Nice to get out but feel pants so going to take it out on the pool later
  • Options
    what? EYAM 1/2
    verry hot, no wind and V HILLY
    im no good at race reports so il just put mile times down
    1 5.59 6 5.57 11 7.53
    2 8.10 7 6.30 12 7.51
    3 7.16 8 6.28 13 6.07
    4 6.19 9 5.56
    5 6.57 10 9.43
    total 1.31.48 29 pos
    very disapointed with time
    ran 5min faster last, year
    never mind*(got a nice suntan)
    well done to mikeb,urr on good racers
  • Options
    Back from the Sandal Castle10k. Hadn't realised this was billed as x-country.

1mile : 5.15 Garmin 0.97miles. Cramped and spent much of the time muscling past 8min/miling hopefulls.
    2mile : 6.03 Over fields. Overtook 3
    3mile : 5.53 Fields and track. Overtook another 2. Feel ok but it's flat and I'm dreading the climb to the castle.
    4mile : 6.19 Up to the top and delighted to improve my placing by 1
    5mile : Missed the mile marker. Down the other side, rough track but only turned my ankle once:-)
    10k :12.08 for last 2.21miles and took another. The finish is 20metres after a steep grass bank at a camber. Why?!

Overall time: 35.42

11th overall but no chance of a prize with no V45 category and 3 other vets in front but well pleased with this. Only decided to race the day before and this was local and could enter on the day.

Mike B Congrats. What do you think your time would have beeb without a 5k in your legs?
    You too Urban
  • Options
    AardvarkAardvark ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all,

good performances MikeB (twice), URR and SG4.

What: 8m steady
    Why: tapering for White Peak 1/2
    Last hard: last Thursday
    Last rest: yesterday

Have a good one.
  • Options
    SticklessStickless ✭✭✭
    Aardvark, did you grow up near Ripley?
  • Options
    Treadmill - without the 5,000m maybe 15 seconds? Without FLM 1 minute maybe? With a bit cooler weather maybe another 15 seconds?

Who knows. Well done yourself, bet yours was a bit more scenic than mine (unless you have a thing for 1930s houses, bridges over otorways, and running alongside busy dual carriageways.
  • Options
    3 excellent 10ks there Mike, Treadmill and URR.

Let's buck the trend shall we?

Beverley 10k. Very hot (26 degrees by the end)

There's 3 runners from that area I measure myself against - they ran 2:38, 2:42 and 2:54 at FLM.

Mile 1 - tucked in nicely with Mr 2:54 and 2:38 - 5:32 - ok I thought.

Mile 2 - uphill 5:57!! - breaking away from rivals now.

Mile 3 - flattens out but 5:49- feeling the heat

(Halfway 18:01 - not going to be a good day)

Mile 4 - 5:58 - anxiously looking over shoulderat who will pass me - getting a stitch as well

Mile 5 - 5:35 - down slope - know I'm going to lose at least one place.

Mile 6 - get overtaken by Mr 2:54, hating every minute, clutching my side- 5:38

.2 - now Mr 2:42 who I overtook on Birdcage walk is powering down. I just hold him off to finish in an abject 35:37. Beaten by one rival, but edged out other 2.

This is my slowest 10k since 1st January 2002.

Objectively it was down to:- (excuse time):)

1. Tired legs - too much too soon and calves STILL aching from speedwork Tuesday. No zip or freshness at all.

2. Heat - I never race well in it

3. After 4 miles, realising it was going to be a bad day I did not push myself into the `hilly' zone, thinking things may be better on Weds at Askern

4. Started the race at 10st 7. At my best I was 10st 4, so at 2 secs per lb per mile that is about 40 secs, and I would have settled for sub 35 today.

5. Stitch at 5 miles so I could not hold off one rival.

Still, we live to fight another day.