Options

Comrades

I have a entry, have done the training and might still not get there do to various ongoing personal probs. However is there anyone else out there flying down to South Africa for this?

Comments

• Options
    Hi DD

Part of me (my ego) wishes that I would be there but my body/mind argue otherwise.

I am of course, very envious as it promises to be a phenomenal event.

Glad to hear the training is going well - perhaps its the therapeutic effect of a long run.

Only a month to go - you'll be tapering soon. What joy.

It puzzles me that Comrades is not a bigger international event. The organisation, support and scenery are all superb. The prices in SA are relatively low and the travel v manageable.

Keep the updates coming. Good Luck.

Tim
  • Options
    Timbo
    Wondered when you would appear on this thread! Have decided to go come what may, wife in agreement (knows how grumpy I would be otherwise) Training has gone well since Two Oceans though I did ignore the suggested 65K training run and limit myself to 42K (old age). Tapering now and for the first time since two Oceans the last two runs have been "floaters" no effort just drifting along. Still can't believe that I will line up at the start with ONLY 89K to go! Have really struggled mentally and physically with whether to do this but came to conclusion that I'm fit have done the miles and the two may never coicide together again. Don't expect to enjoy it but DO expect to have a real sense of achievment when done, you should know you've been there! Good luck in your next target race... Two Oceans 2005? I've already promised to take the wife to Capetown ... see you there or Beachy Head?

Dave
  • Options
    ....and I wondered when you would get around to starting this thread!

I wish I could be so positive about the training; following 2O and FLM, I've really been struggling - not injured but nothing in the legs. My next big one will either be Beachy Head on 23/10 or Amsterdam on 17/10 but this time NOT BOTH.

Although, for you, once you have achieved Comrades, consecutive marathons will be no problem! Care to join us in Amsterdam?

Tim

• Options
    Tim
    My next after comrades will definately be BH as Mother in law lives just around the corner from start! Would like to Amsterdam but think Mrs DD might complain.

Still not sure if I'm daft to try Comrades but I guess there is only one way to find out! I not surprised that your legs feel dead, 2O then a 3-30 marathon the next week must have taken its toll. Its only this last week that I have felt the bounce back in my legs. Up to then it was mind over matter.

Dave
  • Options
    Its been a week since I posted here so a quick update is in order. Tapering now, the schedule published on the Comrades web site has a fairly severe taper, well certainly a much greater reduction in mileage than I'm used to, so have fallen somewhere between my norm and the schedule. Feels ridiculously easy to only be running 35 mile weeks.

I have also experimented with running slower than my natural pace, but it just doesnt work so have decided to take a walk break every 25 mins instead. So two weeks today I'll be back in South Africa for the next adventure (actually have to go to Capetown next week for work). Bring it on, then I'll take the rest I promised nyself after two oceans.

Dave
  • Options
    DD

This is impressive talk! Tapering to 35 mile/wk and floating through long runs!

Are you going to carbo load and take supplements with you or are you going to rely on the coke/chocolate/bananas etc that they will feed you throughout?

Apart from trying to run slower (I agree that this is very difficult), how are you preparing yourself mentally? It takes some getting used to the idea that although you have been running for an hour, you still have another 7 1/2 hours to go!

An experience not to be forgotten!

Best of luck and let us know how you do.

Tim
  • Options
    I shall be relying on the handouts along the course, I'm not a great beleiver in carbo loading (unless its liquid, brown and called beer).

Mentally I shall follow my usual routine of only thinking in 10K blocks to start with, these eventually become 5K, 1K and i'll get to the next lamp post! No I have given this some thought and beleive that breaking the run down into sections is the only thing that will work for me.

Prediction? between 9-30 & 10-30, probably towards the faster end assuming that the mind holds out. Really have been feeling good the last few runs and have consistently been running 46 - 48 min 10Ks during training with no real effort, so I know I'm fit as my PB this year is 44-40 and that was with alot of effort!

Nervous but confident! Thinking about Marathon Verdon next year 140K over three days... sounds like a walk in the park!
  • Options
    DD

Looks like you are in great shape and got all the bases covered.

Not sure you will find many lamp posts outside of Durban - try rondavels.

Slightly worried about your mental state - Marathon Verdon! I'll ask you if you are still keen the day after Comrades.
  • Options
    Good luck DD

id love to do comrades, but ill never be fast enough
  • Options
    Hippo thanks for the encouragement

TG Who's calling whom mad? FLM one week after 2O? Thats mad to me! You don't fancy the Marathon Verdon then? Slightly less crazy than Marathon d Sables

DD
  • Options
    That's brave talk DD

Let's see if you are still talking Verdon in 10 days time!
  • Options
    Snoop DoggSnoop Dogg ✭✭✭
    would like to have a crack at this one day, but more likely to go for the 'Two Oceans' first, on the grounds it's shorter.

keep us posted though.
  • Options
    SD thats the problem you do Two Oceans and then it seems so necessary to do Comrades... We'll see how I feel on the 17th! Off to South Sfrica on Friday... Its getting close.

DD
  • Options
    Last post before flying down to SA, One more run to do before THE day. Tapering has gone OK, couldn't quite bring myself to cut back as much as the schedule said but haven't been beyond 15K for two weeks.

Getting nervous now having never been beyond 60K! Keep telling myself that I've done the miles, go run! So this time next week I'll be very tired and hopefully very happy.

DD
  • Options
    DD

All the very best! You've done the work, you're not injured and you are strong mentally - so I really hope that you can relax and enjoy the occasion!

Remember to smile for the cameras.

Looking forward to your report back.

Tim

• Options
    Finished in 10 hours 08 mins, never known so much pain... Will be back for a downhill run next year! Knew from the start that it wasn't my day, two oceans i floated, Comrades I struggled through the pain from start to finish but what a feeling come the end

DD
  • Options
    Well Done DD!!!! And you've done the Two Oceans as well...impressive!!!

I plan to be there (Comrades) in 2007 with a club member who wants to do it for his 60th birthday. So I was thinking of you lot at the race yesterday. I think the year I do it, it will be a down run...not so sure that's easier than the up run tho.

What does the weather feel like during the race?
  • Options
    DD

Well Done! Fantastic!

I wore my Comrades tie on the 16th and even heard a snippet on Radio 5 at 5.30 in the morning - so was trying to pass on positive thought energy.

I see Kotov won again - and at the age of 46. So, you've still got a few more Comrades before you reach your peak!

I hope that when you have recovered your breath and the pain has subsided a little, that you will be able to post an account of the day.

Treasure the accomplishment and I hope you don't suffer (as I do) from the post-event blues.
  • Options
    Back at work today... Comrades seems like a lifetime ago and its hard to beleive that I finished but the medal is on the wall so it must be true. Now have to lose the 4 kg gained in the post race carbo (beer) loading. Determined to have another crack at it next year having decided that your not a real comrades runner until you have done the Up & Down runs!
    Personally I think Kotov's run was amazing for a athelete of 46. I know I'm 46!

Now for a brief summary of the race.
    0530 stood at the start thinking hell its a long way to Petermaritzberg... Too late the start cannon has been fired. Almost immediately the road starts to go up and up and up... Cowies Hill passes still running, Fields Hill, run walk, Through Kloof & Hillcrest the smell of bacon butties from the bar-b-ques along the road side is driving me crazy...

Pass the cheering friends and family, quick stop for a Banana, kiss from wife, hug from son, A few lies from me that I'm feeling good and on we go... Up Bothas hill walking alongside Gordon Ramsey..Finally pass the sign saying congrats you have run a Marathon, my slowest ever in 4-30 but never climbed 800 metres during a marathon either. Only 46K to go. Through halfway at Drummond, Inchlanga hill stretched away in front of me walk.. run... walk..walk! Now the race got boring through the Cato ridge, little support and the sun was hot.. Eating orange segments at every aid station.

Passing numerous "A" seeded runners now who having gone out to fast are now reduced to walking even on the downhills. The physio stations are full of runners having leg rubs, knees strapped etc, most seem to carry on, some limping heavily.

Through Ashburton and finally the K's to go sign reaches 10K... 42 minutes on a good day but not today.. Long walk up Polly Shorts, no one is running but we all manage a wave for the TV cameras at the top, I crest the hill realise there is only 8K to go and mostly down hill.. Knees screaming at me to stop, no way if I keep running the pain will stop sooner, into the stadium.. Mrs DD waving madly from the International tent, stop for a kiss and then a determined trot takes me over the finish line and the medal is mine!

We got back to my friends house before the 12 hour cutoff and I watched the heartache of those runners who so nearly made it but were beaten by the gun.. There was one poor guy who had run the whole way towing a trolley for charity and he failed to get to the finish by about 1 metre.

An amazing experience but knowing at 10K into the race that it wasn't my day with 79K to go wasn't a nice experience.. Its amazing what the human body can achieve..

Anyone else going next year? Tim?

T in T, weather was sunny around 24C at miday. Odd years are down runs, even years up.

DD

• Options
    DD,

an inspirational account, @ 46 you do yourself great credit, I grew up watching Fordyce and the like conquering it, but to read a 'real runners' account gives it a can-do feeling! I am thinking of going back home to SA just to give it a go...
  • Options
    DD - Great report. You helped me to remember that tangible sense of fear and forboding when you realise you do not feel too good and there are still 79km (up hill) to go!

However, you still made it and as you say, it is amazing what you can get your body to do. I hope you feel satisfied - although decidedly unhinged (you want to do it again next year!)

What did your wife and son make of their old man? Can they understand the "why"?

I doubt I'll make it next year but there is an outside chance of 2006. I'll run Amsterdam in Oct and possibly Beachy Head the following week - if not, I'll try to get down to watch.

I hope you are now enjoying a few weeks off!

Tim
  • Options
    Tim

Yes I have to agree that running Comrades seems to have affected my "commonsense" and I must be mad to be considering running it again next year.. But it has to be done.

Amazingly Mrs DD seems to understand that my Comrades adventure will not be complete without running both the Up & Down runs, this of course could reflect her desire to have another two weeks holiday in SA. Baby DD is too young to care!

Weeks off? what are they, not running everyday cos the knees are too sore but still churning out a few miles. See you at Beachy Head!

DD
  • Options
    DD

Told the wife about your exploits and plans. She was distinctly unimpressed but voiced concern for Gordon Ramsey.

Now you see my problem!

Tim