Options

Cycling

I've just got a bike and will be cycling 30 mins to work and back every day. flat terrain along a trail.

anyone got any tips for making this into something worthwhile for my running training? is there any benefit in cycling? hopefully i'll be able to run to work and back one of these days.

can anyone point me in the direction of some good cross training/cycling articles. i've tried searching runners world but haven't turned up anything.

thanks for any advice/articles people can provide.

Comments

• Options
    Cyclying is great fun and when u not running it best to cycly so i have read it somewhere. Cyclying I believe is good for u and work different parts of your legs. How to make it fun go out with friends or join a club.

I am going for a bike ride tomorrow, going to ride to a pub for healthly meal and soft drink and cycly back I aim to do about 16 miles tomorrow. Hope that helps i keep a eye out for articles
  • Options
    fyi

i've found plenty of cross training articles about cyling on the www.runnersworld.com website. just type in cycling in the search field and a load of good articles appear.
  • Options
    popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    I think the commonly quoted figures for so long on the bike being worth so long running depend very much on how much effort you are putting in. If I do a 10 mile TT in say 25 minutes that is worth rather more in fitness terms than a 6 minute jog - in fact it's worth more than a 25 minute jog. You can work just as hard on the bike as running if you want to - it's just that it is possible to take it easy on the bike, the minimum effort for running is just higher.
  • Options
    thanks guys. hopefully when i get my shins strong enough i will be able to run to work in the morning. that's my aim.

i've noticed my quads get a good work out on the bike so i hope that will help with running whenever i get to run again.

i measured my pulse halfway through the cycle rid to work this morning and was very suprised to find it was over 150bpm. so it's good to see my heart gets a good workout even though i wasn't completely dead ...... i was out of breath though.

good idea about a long cycle ride home. i'll have to investigate that. would have to move off the trail and onto roads i suspect so that wouldn't be as enjoyable.

thanks for the advice
  • Options
    and plenty of 'out of the saddle' stuff. More like running that way... hurts like hell ;)