Options

10k training - help needed (please!)...

Hi guys,

I started this running lark 8 weeks ago to help some friends train for a 10k. We used the BUPA 10k beginners training scedule and I completed the race on Sunday in 51.38.

I really enjoyed myself and would like to aim at improving my 10k time slightly in the next few months. The problem is that so many of the schedules I've looked at seem hugely complicated. The RW 8 week plan is so detailed that I'd have to print out the instructions and run with them! And what does '2M at 75%' mean? I fear nothing without the use of a HRM.

Running isn't my only hobby and I don't have the time to run 5 or 6 times a week and am perfectly aware that I'm not going to improve greatly without doing so. I'm just looking for something that isn't too complicated but will let me improve a little.

Do such things actually exist or is everyone out there running for 2-2.5M with 8x400m repetitions and 2 minute recoveries, 2M easy, jog to finish?

Comments

• Options
    well its been 15 minutes.. So I bet you've checked 10 times since.. ha....

First off... well done!

Yeah.. there are loads of possible schedules out there to look at. Too many some might say. But its all personal.

2 miles at what you feel to be 75% of your total effort.

Short speed work reps at least once a week. You need to get ya legs moving so you know what it feels like to run at a good 10k pace.

It all takes time and effort. I use to run for breakfast, lunch and dinner and in my sleep. But I now cross train with swimming, cycle everyday, gym work as well and now have a 34 min 10k pb. I was 45 mins 8 months ago...

Good luck...
  • Options
    I think these schedules can be a bit daunting.

I try for a longish run at the weekend, and then do a bit of recovery stuff and intervals in the week.

No idea what 75% of my total effort would be really.

Work out what days you can run, and go from there.

Blimey Brewster - that is impressive !
  • Options
    Stampi, at your stage, pretty much any running you do is going to help you get fitter. I wouldn't get too hyped on following a detailed schedule if that makes life too difficult. Just follow some basic rules - make sure you don't increase your training too quickly (not more than 10% of mileage per week I think is the recommended limit), don't try and do all your runs quickly, and don't make the mistake of running the same couple of routes over and over, to avoid getting bored.
  • Options
    Thanks guys!

That's very fast Brewster. I share an office with a guy who also has a 34min PB but unfortunately he's useless for advice as he doesn't actually seem to train as such...he just runs when he feels like it.

I have no idea what 75% of my total effort would be either, somedays it feels like getting out of bed is about 80% but others it feels like you just can't go fast enough.

I was running 3-4 days a week which was fine but I also try and climb at least twice a week, play squash once and do some weight work and if it's a good weekend I tend to want to be up a mountain. Oh and I'm also trying to do my PhD.

Think I'll try and do a long run, a steadier run and some speedwork until I can hunt down a less scary schedule! I know you have to put in the effort to reap the rewards but you'd need mensa membership to understand some of what they're telling you.
  • Options
    Thanks JFB, think I may need to try and vary my routes a little as I could probably run 10k with my eyes closed!

I agree that any running I do will help, I'm still at that happy stage where I can see improvement in nearly every run...don't expect it'll last long though!

8 weeks ago I thought all those people who passed me were simply running...only now do I realise what a contradiction in terms that is, ha.

• Options
    Stampi,

Looks like you already have some good cross training in the squash and strength with the climbing and weights work.

I was at the same stage not long ago and would echo the advise above.

If you can make 4 runs a week then try and work up the long run until it is more than 10k so you know you can easily make the distance, keeping the increments to 10% or so. Make another session speed work and look at 3-4 intervals of say 1 mile at slightly above your target 10k pace with a short recover jog to get used to the work you'll encounter in the target race.

Keep the others pretty free and just enjoy it. The more you run the more you will intuitively know where you need to focus your training.

Good luck!
  • Options
    Thank you Humph, I definatley want to be running further than 10k but know I have to take it slowly. The 10% increments seems to be good advice as I've seen it mentioned several times.

I want to try and keep my running as a fun way of staying fit and healthy and i just got a bit scared by some of the schedules out there and thought the only way to improve was to dedicate you life to running but having read some of the threads here people seem able to have families, full time jobs and perfectly respectable running times. I think I just need to learn some patience!
  • Options
    Agreed, it is unlikely you'll go from 51 mins to 31 mins this year! but the beauty of starting out is that you can really see the improvements quite quickly if you stick at it.

I managed to take 6 minutes off my 10k time in 4 months last summer and have the first 10k of the year soon to test out the winter training. I have managed to drop my 10 mile and 5 mile times so far this year so I'm hopeful of a new PB.

I also manage to juggle a job, commuting, 2 kids etc. so it can be done.
  • Options
    Wow Humph, 6 minutes off your time in 4 months! That's amazing! I was more hoping for a sub 50!

Really hope you manage your new PB