Options

Surprisingly fast last mile

I've been going out on a circuit in the evenings which I think is about 6.5 miles (timings are a bit dodgy as I sometimes have to double back to avoid waiting at a level crossing).

My usual mile pace is about 9 mins and I find this quite manageable. Last time I did the circuit I covered the last mile in 7 mins 50, which is a pace i didn't think I was capable of at all, let alone at the end of a 6 mile run. I'm quite chuffed with myself, but also thinking now that I can't be pushing myself hard enough. What do you think?

Comments

• Options
    Hey Ketty...

The home mile shoudl always be quicker. You know its the last one also.

But try and aim for what we call a negative split overall. You say you do 6 miles/10k run? Overall time for teh forst 3 should be a little slower then the last 3 - hence negative split.

That way you last 3 miles will be quicker and your very last mile not so much quicker than the 4th and 5th...

But also try and lower your milage time overall for training?
  • Options
    god... check the typo's.. sorry !
  • Options
    Cheers brewster. I have also recently been going out running with someone else so I think they are pushing me more than when I went out alone.

I will test out a faster pace over some shorter runs and see how it goes - thanks for the advice about the negative splits.