Options

Marathon Training Schedules

Please help. I have run 2 marathons - Beachy Head 2003 in 3hrs 38 and London 2004 in 3hrs 18, I didn't specifically train for either of these. I am planning on doing Dublin on the 25th October and hope that with the right training I can get close to 3 hours. Can anyone suggest any good training schedules, i am female so should i follow a 2.45 schedule?

Comments

• Options
    Hi Annabelle, you must have done some training? Why don't you look back at count up the long runs you did and the weekly mileage and tweek that a bit, but not much. After that throw in some long intervals and some hill running.
    Worth doing some 10ks this summer too.
    I can't recommend any published scheduls cos I haven't used them for ages but I used to use the Runner's World ones.
    Used the sub 3 hour schedule when I did my pb (but I ended up with 3'09)
  • Options
    Er, i think if you did Beachy head in 3'38 you're already a good hill runner-sorry.
  • Options
    Thanks Timothy, yes i did train for Beachy Head although i didn't follow a schedule, i did a couple of 50mile plus weeks and 3 off road 20 milers. London, i was very lucky to get round considering my lack of training due to injury (did 1 off road 18 miler).
    I have printed off the advanced schedule from this website, it's something to work from but i would prefer a bit more detail.
  • Options
    You did alright at London then, considering!!
    People say that consistent training is important. Can you get up to 60 miles a week for a couple of months (remembering to ease down for a week in the middle).
    Its a pity there aren't any 20 mile races in the autumn. Instead of that you could run a few marathons as long runs, ie slowly.
    I've accumulated a lot of marathons that way but I haven't run a fst one for a few years.
  • Options
    Thanks for all your advise Timothy, you are giving me lots of ideas. How many marathons have you run?
    I should be able to get up to 60 miles a week for a couple of months, i've got a long way to go but plenty of time to build it up.
    I don't mind doing the long runs on my own or with a club mate, i quite enjoy disappearing into the countryside for a couple of hours.
    I'd love to do Beachy Head again, but it's only 2 days before Dublin so not a lot of recovery time.
  • Options
    I've done 52 marathons.
    Patience and consistency are what you want, plenty of time.
    Actually I know a few people who do Beachy Head and Dublin, stopping off at Snowdonia en route.
    But probably not recommended if you're after a pb!!
  • Options
    Hi Timothy
    I see you have done a few ultras as well, it's great to hear from you.
    I've heard about these mad people that do Beachy Head, Dublin and Snowdonia i'd love to do all 3 but i'll do them 1 at a time for now.
    Going back to yuor first message, i do do quite a bit of hill running but nothing in the way of intervals so any advice would be greatly appreciated. I like the idea of doing a few 10k's.
  • Options
    Intervals are so varied, the possibilities are endless, and there are still argument over recovery time and distance etc!!
    Fun though.
    the year I did my pb (in the autumn at Robin hood) I trained for some fast halfs in the spring before switching to training for distance, still keeping the pace.
    The year before I'd done an ultra and 2 marathons, with very little previous background.
    I've heard varius recommendations like 1600 metres at your 5k pace, or 800 at your 2 mile pace. and "marathon pace" runs up to 18 miles.
    The hills will give your legs the strength they need to cope better with the fatigue.
    When I ran my pb I ran well up to 20 miles and then had to cope with slowing down. I lost about 5 minutes in the last 10k.

I have done a few ultras as well!! 26 I think, my favourite is the 24 hour race because it helps not being fast (well, being a bit faster would be nice!!)
  • Options
    what an interesting thread! funnily enough i'm attempting my first marathon, Robin Hood in Sept, and have just printed off the sub 3:15 schedule. I'm going to combine this with a bit of science and use a heart rate monitor for training, to make sure I do easy-hard-easy etc.

Respect to you Tim for what you've done and good luck Annabelle in Dublin.
  • Options
    Yes, make sure you're recovered before a hard session, especially after a long run an make sure you taper adequately before the marathon.
    Don't underestimate the damage hard long running can do to your leg muscles, you need to allow recovery time from training before the race!
  • Options
    Timothy, thank you for all your help it's great to have advise from someone as experienced as you.
    Cookie Monster good luck in the Robin Hood, hope the training goes well.
  • Options
    Thanks, hope it works out for you. Have you thought about joining a club or finding a group to train with occasionaly?
  • Options
    I am a member of a club, which i am very involved with. I run with the club 2 or 3 times a week, these are usually my easier runs.
  • Options
    Have just found the sub 3 hour schedule on this site. It is much more detailed than the other schedule so might give it a try.
  • Options
    I belong to a club but can never get down to train woth them. When I could I was a lot faster.
    On the other hand they really don't understand ultra runners but it does give me an excuse to run slow 10k times!
    I would say that even though dublin is a long way off you can prepare yourself for the training by getting out regularly and gradually getting your mileage up to the right level. In other words train to do the training.
    Do keep us updated won't you.
  • Options
    Hi Timothy
    Just to let you know i have taken your advise and started training for my marathon training have increased training to 4/5 times a week, i even ran twice yesterday. Am doing 1 hard speed session a week and a long run of about 12 miles which i will lengthen this week. Did a 10k on Sun, i need to improve my speed a lot, but i was very happy and surprised to win a prize and i know if i carry on with the regular training i will get faster.
    Thanks for all your help
    Annabelle