Options

Off-road runs around Bournemouth

Can anyone help? Due to family illness, I find myself in Bournemouth most weekends doing various things including taking a large dog for a walk. Recently, I have tried taking him on runs to try and make the most of my time. We have been running through Branksome Woods but I find they aren't suitable for very long runs off-road unless you go back and forth. I do have access to a car and wonder if anyone can suggest nearby off-road routes where a canine companion wouldn't be unwelcome or a bother. Many thanks.

Drew

Comments

• Options
    Not proper off-road I know, but when I'm staying in Bournemouth I go along the promenade eastwards and up over Hengistbury Head which has some nice surrounding pathways. Best go early though as for some reason if the sun's out the place is full of PEOPLE, damn them!

Also try going over to Studland for an out and back along the South West coast path. I've only ever walked it, but it should make a challenging run. THe whole area has plenty of footpaths so you could probably make up a loop as well.

Think both the above would be fine for dogs, although there might be sheep in the fields surrounding the coast path at some times of year.
  • Options
    Thanks Ketty. I'll give Hengistbury and Studland a go - haven't been there since I was a child (zillions of years ago!) so they'll be a stroll - or run - down memory lane.

Drew
  • Options
    Watch out for the nudists if you go on the beach at Studland :-)

The path from Swanage out to Dancing Ledge (past Tilly Whim Caves) is v pretty but can be a bit boggy and you would have to go up a killer hill to get onto the high route for coming back. I did see someone running there last time I went for the walk, although they were without a dog!

Let me know what you find as I will need places to run in Bournemouth too on occasion
  • Options
    Thanks for the warning re: nudists and hills! Hope the dog behaves himself with the former .....

Apart from Branksome Woods and along the front, I don't know of many places to run. One pleasant shortish run I did was from Fleetsbridge industrial park (am a member of Fitness First gym so used their facilities) to Upton Park. You do get the constant hum from traffic on the dual carriageway though. Have you tried King's Park? I have been tempted to try the New Forest but have been put off (i) by the long drive and (ii) the fear of getting lost!

Drew
  • Options
    tiny tiatiny tia ✭✭✭
    HI there
    I was born in Poole but now live in Belgium!

Used to run from Upton House park (doing 1 circuit of the park)
    then head along Holes bay road trowards Poole
    then turn into Poole and cut straight across Poole high street heading for Baiter
    then run along Baiter path to Whitecliff(part of Poole 10k route)
    then head for Sandbanks
    either run along Sandbanks and loop around roundabout and head back or...
    run along sandbanks prom seafront heading for Bournemouth
    this way you can turn at any of these points or go further to Bransome etc to make a good out and back run;)
    tinytia
    xx
  • Options
    Hi Tia

I shall give that a go too but probably without the dog. Some of the Poole 10K route around Whitecliff, if I remember correctly, can be done on the grass which is good for my poor old pins.

Must be interesting running in Belgium; I am told that running is v popular there.

Cheers

Drew
  • Options
    tiny tiatiny tia ✭✭✭
    Hi Drew

Yes you could run all the way from Baiter to Whitecliff on grass which I had actually never considered before:)

Belgium is quite new to me as we have only been here 6 months but love it for running.
    Plenty of forest and parks which seem to surround us so plenty of investigating to be done now the weather is getting better.

Cycling and running seem to be very popular here and when crossing roads to re-enter forests, drivers generally seem more aware and give way with ease. They drive like loonies on open roads and don't like to give way to other cars atall:(
    Anyway, hope you have an enjoyable run in B'mouth/Poole.
    Tinytiaxx
  • Options
    Drew,

My parents have a holiday home in Ashley Heath (Near Ringwood). The Moors Valley Country Park has some great runs in it (no traffic and not too many people if you stay clear of the 'playtrail'. I'm sure you can buy maps of the Park from the shop/restuarant there.
    MVCP is about just the other side of Ashley Heath (drive up the A338 and go straight over the roundabout over the A31) The Park is about 2 miles from the roundabout on the right hand side.
  • Options
    ICRAM

Thanks for that tip. I had hoped to the 10K in MVCP but wasn't able to in the end. But it sounds another good place where I can take the dog (and me!) for a run. I have always meant to visit the park but never did - now there's no excuse.

Best wishes

Drew